1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fan in Sky+ doing my head in!

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Jules, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    Would it be safe to disconnect the fan inside my Sky+ box (v2)?
    Its really starting to annoy me.

Its on nearly all the time and makes a right ol' racket.
    Late at night when I like to listen to music at low volumes, the bloody Sky+ box can easily be heard wurring away in the background.

I can't just unplug it, because Sky then send a nasty letter because its a mirror subscription where both boxes have to be connected permanently.

I appreciate the fan is needed to keep it cool, but it comes on when the unit is stone cold!
    Anyone tried to disconnect it?

2. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I seem to recal there is some kind of reset that you can do which can reduce the amount of time the fan runs. A search on this forum should help you.

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    It's normal for the fan to be on all the time after an initial install/setup, a simple reboot should cure that however if the fan still runs 24/7 then you have to consider the possibility that it's doing so because the internal temp is too high.

SKY+ uses virtually the same amount of power when in standby as it does when it's active although there may be less heat generation now the HD spins down but external factors such as placement and air flow have a much bigger impact.

It may be that the fan bearings are shot, simply changing the fan might lower the volume or using a fan mate type device to control the power and therefore the rpm may have the same effect assuming it's not spinning because the box is too hot.

4. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,451
    This is a bit of a long shot but it may be an easy fix.

The fan may be noisier than normal if there is some dust on the fan. If it has connected unevenly it can vibrate and cause some noise. I would suggest blowing compressed air on the fan if this is the case.

5. cookie2112

cookie2112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Jules,

Thought I was being picky!!!! Nice to see someone else with the same irk. Post any solution if you succeed

Ta

6. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    That used to be the case before the latest software update and my fan used to come on only when the box was hot and never when it was in standby.
    Now though, the fan is on 24/7 and never switches off.
    A hard reboot makes no difference.
    Not sure why Sky have changed the behaviour of the fan with the latest software. Anyone know?

7. pantages

pantages

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I recently had a replacement stb for Sky+ and now the fan is hardly ever on!

8. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    I guess your replacement STB must have different hardware and/or software then?

9. pantages

pantages

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I have no idea. I have had three boxes, the first one had a fan that was always on, the second came on when needed and the latest is rarely on.

10. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

They did lower the trigger temp a couple of updates back, overheating IS the weakness of SKY+ and has probably been identified as the major source of the failures. Of course SKY can do little about how a user places the SKY+ in relation to other heat source/room temp/air flow so the only option was to make the fan come on earlier even on boxes that were previously ok.

Have you tried to remove he case and run the box open to the air (just as an experiment), it would be difficult to imagine that the temp was so high that the fan had to be on in that situation.
    If the fan switches off then you know it was running 24/7 for a genuine reason, if it doesn't then there could be a software or hardware error even though it would be fairly minor.

11. bignairy

bignairy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I found it greatly improved when I lifted my Sky+ box up off the shelf slightly. The standard feet are rather small so not enough air gets to the bottom of the box. I used some 10mm square electrical trunking with some draft excluder stuck to it to stop it slipping. Its barely noticeable from the front and the box runs much cooler now. :thumbsup:

12. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Thanks for the info' guys.
    I'll try some bigger feet and see if that makes a difference.

13. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    Well I'm fed up with it anyway.

Mine used to run hot with the original Maxtor hard drive and the fan came on occasionally.

But I recently installed a 120 Samsung HD and it doesn't get hot at.
    So why the fan wants to run 24/7 is byond me!

I'm either going to disconnect the fan this weekend, or move my old V1 to the AV room and put the Samsung drive in that.
    The V1 is quieter anyway even with the fan running.

can anyone see a problem doing this or will the V1 box get confused?

14. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    My Pace V2 fan runs all the time,and it ocurred to me that something must be wrong.The receiver is in a dedicated AV rack,with plenty of space all around.As strange as it may seem,I feel a little bit more heartened that I'm not alone in having this problem ! :)

15. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    The fan in my v2 box does run 24/7 but you can only hear it if there's no other sound in the room.

John

16. boabw

boabw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just had Sky+ installed, I have noticed that since the install roughly 10 hours ago what I think might be the fan appears to be running constantly and the top of the unit is quite warm yet my room is a fairly cool 21C. There is good ventalation all around the box and there is at least 1cm clear under the unit. The unit is also in Standby mode and I am not using any features of the box at present.

The noise can only be heard with no other noise present and is a faint whirr. I do not feel air coming out of the fan at the back but the noise seems to be eminating from the front of the unit.

Any ideas.

17. dj_johnnyg

dj_johnnyg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've noticed that my fan seems to come on whenever it feels like it, and it's a pain in the arse.

I've got it on a decent AV rack, with space all around it, but the box never feels to get warm.

I'll try the bigger feet idea myself, although it's not annoying me at the minute, I can see it getting on my nerves if it carries on - or gets worse.

18. CARLOS

CARLOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,201
    Since the last software update the fan will stop on all the time if you fit a bigger HD.

I`ve fitted a Samsung drive in mine which doesn`t get very warm at all and like the original poster i got very annoyed by the constant hum from the fan.

I solved the problem by fitting a fanmate which is a fan speedcontrol designed for PC`s i picked it up from Maplins, It a bit difficult to connect directly to the board where the fan is normally plugged in !!

So if you also buy a HD adaptor lead then you power the fan from the HD power feed.

These are the two things you need here and here :)

Cheers, Carl

19. boabw

boabw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Got home from work tonight and it looks like the box has updated software or something as the channel reset to 999. The fan has gone off, whoppee....

Recording a film just now and it is very quiet, long may it continue.

Forgot to mention that I have an Amstrad Box (SPPVR2)