1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Famitsu Scores Super Mario Sunshine

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by groundy, Jul 17, 2002.

1. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Japanese Multi-format mag "Famitsu" has reviewed and scored Super Mario Sunshine. You will be happy to hear that out of 4 reviewers, the scores were: 10, 10, 9 ,9 with an overall score of 38/40 giving it a Platinum award.

Also, sister mag "Famitsu Cube" awarding it 10, 10, 8, 8, with the two 8 score reviewers claiming the game is too difficult in the second half. IMO this is a good thing though :).

For a gamer's impression see:

http://pub111.ezboard.com/fgamingageforumsfrm17.showMessageRange?topicID=9236.topic&start=1&stop=20

Sounds like it will more than live up to expectations ;).

2. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh. Yes.

My american preorder suddenly seems a long time away, and I have nearly done all the levels on Mario World GBA..

3. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found out the score via Magicbox.com a while back, its pretty sweet 38/40 although I don't rate their scoring that much thesedays. Same for Edge, but I guess thats me. We've all been gaming long enough to be able to tell the difference between a turkey and a top game. Reviews still have their parts to play though, if taken from various sources rather than basing a game from one mag alone. Plus the net is a great tool. Free information ^_^

4. Annatar

Annatar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Couldn't agree more!

Although it still comes down to personal choice at the end of the day! I mean I have an XBox with Halo, and I think it a pile of Crap! Boring, repetitive gameplay with Bland/at times Jerky graffics!

Roll on Mario!

5. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I assume your playing at 50hz as Halo needs to be played?

6. thestorm

thestorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8

Hi Neo

What don't u like abt Edge reviews? sure they give crap scores
    for most of the xbox games like 4/10 !!!! And rightly so
    but it seems they're accurate most of the time.
    like 10/10 for Halo and 8/10 for MotoGP.

I can't stand these web site based gaming mags
    that give 9's and 9.5's for below average games!

Cya,
    Shaz

7. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thestorm, I've been an avid reader of Edge for well over a year or two... Maybe three. Hell I can't even remember the first issue of Edge I bought >_< Fact is that while I love the mag for its editorials and insight into the videogame industry (which no other rival mag can match) I have been put off by some of their reviews. I know that the magazine is aimed at the older market and at the industry but at times they try to be too clever for their own good.

I'm not saying its the worst mag in the industry, far from it, in fact I rate it as one of if not the best in the UK. I'm just saying that to use it like a gaming bible is a mistake. And believe me, some people do use it like a gaming bible and swear by it.

We all just have to remember that videogames has many genres and everyone is an individual in their own right. Personal preference will always show a higher mark and thats natural. Plus in the mag industry there are times that a videogame will be marked highly purely because of hype or anticipation. After all some people don't like waiting for 3 years for a game, only to find out that its a turkey.

I totally agree that the "marks out of ten" is the best way to rate a game if you must. Many people think that a game rated at 6 or 7/10 is average or poor. Far from it. An average score would be a 5/10.

A game rated at 7/10 for example would mean that its a very competent game, with some flaws preventing it from being a better title. Also (depending on its genre) it would show that its not for everyone but fans of the genre will love it. A great example would be the old skool horizontal shooters that some of us love, but many don't.

As for the website reviews, it depends on where it was taken. Places like IGN are always biased anyway and I take their review scores with a pinch of salt. Whats more interesting for me though is the review itself. If it is well written I don't need a final score to tell me if its good or not. The same rule applies to mag reviews as well. Whats great about Edge is that they dedicate more space to reviews than huge colourful pictures, which is an illustration to their target audience. Plus any interviews with the pushers and shakers and good editorials is a bonus since I'd much rather have more of those than pages with cheats or guides.

You could say Edge is ideal for me. Well it was, but now I just read it in WH Smiths for free rather than paying £4 an issue ^_^

8. thestorm

thestorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8

LOL! I thought I was the only one. ;)
    These mags are far too expensive to buy. It's much better to buy
    the game 2nd hand from ebay and then sell it back,sometimes making a profit.

This way you'll find out for yourself wether you like it or not rather
    than pay £6 for mag with a 1 level demo.

Cya,
    Shaz

9. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hehe, actually I read a few mags to see their impressions on some games. Other than that though (on the computer/console front) I just check out Edge, Computer Arts or any decent mag to do with CG, animation etc.

I haven't tried out ebay purely because I know I'll end up poor >_< There are LOADS of stuff I'd like to buy but there is a need to be sensible with my cash, so I just resist the temptation. The internet is both a blessing and a curse to me alright.