Question Family TV 40 - 50" < £500

James132

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been asked to source a TV for my brother and wondered if anyone might be able to make some recommendations.

The TV will only be used for SkyHD and movies (netflix etc.), no gaming. He plans to get a chromecast/firestick so no need for smart capabilities. Doesn't need to be 4k. Wants it to be between 40 and 50" and has budgeted up to £500. His only other requirement was that he be able to get a 5+ year warranty so would need to be able to purchase it from somewhere that provided that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm feeling a bit swamped by all the choice!

Thanks in advance,
James

I love my Samsung 40ku6000. Cost me £350 last year from John Lewis's. 5 year warranty. Larger sizes can be had 43,50,55 comes curved also.
Sky hd looks great upscale to 4k. Sd quality is decent.

Can't go wrong for be price I paid newer MU6000 model out for 2017.

Going UHD is fine if you don't mind SD content looking worse, its kind of pointless at lower screen sizes though as you have to sit very close. See: UHD vs FHD

I would look at something like a Samsung K5500 or K5600 or even the K6300. This year's M series are also likely the same quality but overpriced right now as they are 2017 models.

49/50 inch is a difficult size and those are the only FHD tv's at that size I'm pretty sure come with decent quality panels, others tend to use lower contrast IPS panels and the only time they are better is when viewed from a horizontal angle.

Don't get the Samsung models mixed up, K dictates 2016 and M 2017. If there's a U in the model name it's a UHD model.

Yeh appreciate point about UHD v FHD but can you actually still buy a FHD Tv?

From a place such as Richer sounds or John Lewis that the OP was looking at for the extended warranty periods

Thank you both very much! Seems like Samsung are the clear favorite. I'm a bit hamstrung with the warranty part, although I could always look to take an extended warranty out separately. For simplicity I've stuck with John Lewis and Richer Sounds at the moment. That's making older models difficult to source. Thankfully you've narrowed down my search massively.

Will SD content look significantly worse on a UHD screen?

Thanks again,
James

To be honest it looks no different on my 4K Telly to my old Samsung 1080p TV.

It looks Guff on them both lol.

Honestly no real difference

Yes you can still buy FHD TVs. There is no point getting an UHD for most people as they don't view close enough. Also UHD TVs will make SD look worse, some higher end UHD TVs are better than the lower end ones but it will look worse than it would if you bought a FHD now by comparison.

How close will you view?

I would also not touch the Samsung KU series at 49-55" as they use different panels at those sizes. There is a good chance unlike with the FHD series that you will end up with a PLS type panel.

The 40KU6000 @garryboy has will be a high contrast VA panel by comparison. Its also a much smaller tv so the differences (depending on viewing distance) between SD on that and a FHD TV will be small.

Thank you both, have ended up going for 49" K5600.

He decided the bigger screen was more important in the end! Unable to get a 5 year warranty but came in under budget so decided to take the risk.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom