Family is looking to get a new Hi-Fi tomorrow... Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by GeorgeStorm, Dec 28, 2011.

1. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    As above, family is looking to get a new Hi-Fi tomorrow, and I'm wondering whether it would be better for them to buy stuff seperately (couple of monitors then a standalone cd player or whatever)

They're looking for something to listen to radio/cds in the living room, don't need anything crazy powerful
    Price point is £100ish I reckon

http://www.comet.co.uk/p/Micro-Hi-Fis/buy-SONY-CMT-BX77DBI.CEK-Micro-Hi-Fi/635014

That's the kinda product they're looking at at the moment (don't think they've looked at that one in particular, just chose one at random, but that's similar to what we have at the moment)

So would it be worth it?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  2. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,959
    When you say "HiFi" that implies stereo.

Next, we need to know the working budget?

Next, we need to know specifically what you expect that budget to buy you? CD? Amp? Speakers? Radio? DVD? BluRay? Network Streaming? etc...?

The Comet website is down at the moment, so we can't follow the link.

Steve/bluewizard

Steve/bluewizard

3. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Errr, yeah they are only looking for a stereo setup rather than surround sound (if that's what you mean?)

I said budget is most likely £100ish
    And as I said, they want to be able to play cds and listen to radio, an aux input for mp3 players would be a bonus.
    And the whole post was basically a question as to whether with that budget they would be able to get a better setup buying speakers, the cd player, an amp if needed as seperate items, or whether they might aswell just go for a mini hifi as they seem to be called:
    SONY CMT-EH15 Micro Hi-Fi System buy online | Currys

Thanks

4. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,959
    With that budget, you will be lucky to find anything at all. The Sony system you suggested, while it might be workable for your needs, is a glorified tabletop radio, and would not be classified as 'HiFi'.

Check this link for a range of very close to HiFi systems -

Superfi.co.uk - HiFi Systems

To get quality, you need to spend closer to the £250 to £300 range, and to really get quality, you need to spend in the £300 to £500 range. With a few exceptions, these are not especially high powered systems, though for comfortable casual listening they get the job done.

If the budget really is £100 or less, then the tabletop models similar to what you suggested are about the best you can do.

In my opinion.

Steve/bluewizard

5. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    That's what I was wanting to hear (whether or not there was anything at that price range) I know it's not a lot, but to them there's no point spending any more than that.

6. amcluesent

amcluesent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    At that price point, I'd say you're only considerations are -

1) Make sure none of the "features" (like tweeters) are just stuck on bits of plastic
    2) Try lifting a speaker, the really poor ones will be feather-lite
    3) A decent aerial will improve the radio/DAB

7. reddish75

reddish75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    For £100 a search on ebay for an amp/speakers/cdplayer/tuner could turn up suprises for a £100 system.

Chris

8. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    We had a quick look around the currys/comet sales

Couple of things they liked the look of.
    Something I saw and didn't understand was, some f the mini hifi's had 10W speakers, and tbh, that would probably be fine for what the family need.
    However it was the slightly more pricey sets (still less than what you said would warrant buying stuff seperate) but they had like 650W?? How? I don't get it, for Christmas I got a set of Mircolab SOLO6Cs (100W), and while they're awesome, I'm thinking I should have just gone for the 1Cs (60W) because I don't go above 40% volume on them.

And so it wouldn't be worth picking up a set of 1Cs, and then just getting a standalone cd/radio thing with an microphone/speaker input? (obviously I don't really understand speakers, but to me that would make more sense than buying one of these cheap mini hifis, since I know the microlabs are decent speakers (from what I've been told))

And you say search ebay, I literally wouldn't know what to look for.... :p

9. amcluesent

amcluesent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    Because the Marketing Dept. have been smoking something! TBH at £100 you're in 'mug's eyeful [(c) Alan Sugar]' territory, so Watts well be quoted with some daft qualifier like with 99% distortion.

10. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Fair enough, I didn't look into them, since the speakers weighed very little, and I presumed it would be some kinda con or marketing work. Had no doubts my current speakers were far better.

11. Arcam_boy

Arcam_boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,289
    Thats Superfi - DENON DM38DAB MICRO SYSTEM WITH SCM37 SPEAKERS probably the closest you'll get to your budget for a half decent hi-fi. Its not really that close to your budget so as suggest go for an all in one system.

Have you considered something like a decent ipod dock instead like one from Bose/Philips which might do a half decent job if you've got an ipod.

Unfortunately £100 doesn't buy much these days!

12. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Family do indeed have ipods, although as said, they want to be able to play cds, and for it to have a DAB radio, and an aux in would be better than an ipod dock, since then we could use any mp3 player rather than apple rubbish :p

They aren't expecting much tbh, I probably shouldn't have asked here, since you guys are all audiophiles in comparison to me, let alone my family :p

13. Dazzor

Dazzor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +353
    My thoughts, FWIW..

As mentioned, £100 is a real struggle unless you buy utter tosh, IMO.

Used would be the way to go, but as you say, it's knowing what to look for and pouncing on a bargain as when it comes up...I've just looked about and there's not a lot that I can see.

So, good old richersounds might serve you well...However, this is just for an amp and speakers...If you already have a DVD player, this will do for CD's and buy a cheap lead like this and use an ipod or iphone and get radio like this until funds allow for a DAB/FM tuner.

Amp: This CA is £80

Speakers: These Wharfedales are £40

£20 over budget, not bad IMO.

I've probably suggested an avenue that's not looking very attractive as it's over budget and you're only gettiing two components, none of which are sources..but it can work and will sound a lot better than a feather-weight box of air from tesco's.

Hope this helps
    Darren

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  14. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    So, with just those two things, you'd be able to play anything via an mp3 player? (plug the player into the amp, and the speakers into the amp?)

And is there an advantage to getting an amp compared to getting 'active' speakers is it? (like my microlab speakers I believe?)

Thanks

15. Dazzor

Dazzor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +353
    Yes, using that cheap cable I linked to mean you use the headphone jack... So can connect to any amp.

Not heard of microlab actives, are they foreign/ imported? Decent actives cost money, maybe you could stretch to a pair of audioengine A2's?

16. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Microlab Just Listen

That's what I've got (for my PC, was recommended them over logitech sets at the same price), I take it you're about to say they suck? :p

Not heard of those before, will have a bit of a look around, although may be difficult to convince the parents

17. Dazzor

Dazzor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +353
    Not heard them so can't say what the microlabs are like..... How much do they cost?

Not heard the audioengines either, however, I've read a fair bit and they are pretty much lauded by those who have.

In your parents situation I think an amp and passive speakers will yield a better long term result.... As a traditional amp is more flexible in terms of more input connections.

Off to bed now, I'll check back tomorrow and see how your thread is doing

Rgds
    Darren

18. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    They were around £80. With the SOLO1Cs (60W) being £65ish.

Ok, well I'll have a talk with them tomorrow, and maybe have a look around the Classifieds tonight

Thanks again

19. Chippy99

Chippy99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +518
    I guess everyone's definitions are different. I woud have put the real quality bracket more in the £10,000+ range!

20. Arcam_boy

Arcam_boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,289
    With all due respect to GeorgeStorm a £300 - £500 system probably will probably sound very high quality compared to the £100 system he's looking at putting together.

Mentioning systems costing thousands of pounds is pointless in this thread, although it nice to talk about them, see them and listen to them usually :)

21. Chippy99

Chippy99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +518
    Yes, I agree, on balance it was a daft and superficial comment. It just struck me that some people (not me, I hasten to add) spend more than £500 on speaker cables or interconnects so the idea of "real quality" for £500 was quite amusing.

22. Ben Jammin

Ben Jammin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
  23. Arcam_boy

Arcam_boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,289
    He wants a stereo not pc speakers although the av40's are decent for the cash.