Family Guy Season 1. 14 episodes on 2 discs == disaster!

-=Kamikaze=-

Standard Member
Reaction score
Got my copy of Family Guy season 1 on DVD yesterday and I must say that there is a very good reason for why it was so cheap. The quality really stinks! I've seen films compressed with divx that looked and sounded better than this. If you appreciate quality then stay far away. If you however appreciate satire at it's finest go ahead and buy it cause you are gonna laugh your ass off. Funny stuff, too bad about the DVD though hope season 2 will look better.

Whenever I watch something this funny I never notice the picture or sound problems

Originally posted by -=Kamikaze=-
Got my copy of Family Guy season 1 on DVD yesterday and I must say that there is a very good reason for why it was so cheap. The quality really stinks! I've seen films compressed with divx that looked and sounded better than this. If you appreciate quality then stay far away.

That strange,I got mine last year when it first came out and it is excellent quality.

Got to be honest with you guys I can for the life of me not understand why mpeg2 does such a **** poor job of compressing cartoons like this so much, I mean "Family guy" is so simply drawn. In most of the scenes the characters don't move around much and the average number of colours each scene uses is less than ten. Surely this should be gold for image/video compression or should at least allow for 2,6 hours of video to easily be compressed with no loss of quality.

And yes it really is that bad, I also bought Futurama season 1 which comes on 3 DVD's and the quality is worlds apart. Alhough the quality of Futurama is in no way pristine. I guess compression artefacts are much more visible on animations since so few colours are used and the general lack of detail.

Funny stuff, too bad about the DVD though hope season 2 will look better.

I'm not so sure there's gonna be a second season on DVD. I heard, since they were cancelling the show, there wasn't going to be any more DVDs released. And the first one has been out ages withough any sign of any more. Perhaps someone could correct, confirm or update this???

Series 2 is set for release on 27th January 2003 in the UK
Even though I have all the episodes downloaded (uncut US versions - not the crappy cut ones Sky 1 put out) I will still buy them all on DVD

Woah woah wait a minute! Are you sating that the ones I have on DVD are cut?!? What the hell?!?
What has been cut?

The DVD is uncut - but all the episodes on TV were cut to ribbons

#Phew#
Well I watched them on Danish television which does not know the word censorship. Thank god I live in a open minded country, all our DVD's are also uncut.

On a similar note is it me or is 20th century Fox just run by a bunch of morons? I mean they cancel both Family Guy and Futurama but keep holding on to Simpsons which hasn’t produced anything good since the show topped a couple of years ago. I mean they must have tons of garbage they could have given the axe but they had to choose the funniest two things they had going for them. How that decision came to be approved is beyond me…

That's Fox for you !!

On a similar note is it me or is 20th century Fox just run by a bunch of morons? I mean they cancel both Family Guy and Futurama but keep holding on to Simpsons which hasn’t produced anything good since the show topped a couple of years ago. I mean they must have tons of garbage they could have given the axe but they had to choose the funniest two things they had going for them. How that decision came to be approved is beyond me…

Here, here. The Simpsons hasn't been good since they started going celebrity crazy. Ever since U2 were in it it's been far worse than King of the Hill and Family Guy. Never liked Futurama though, cept for the Charlie & the Chocolate Factory episode with Slurm.

Sign the Save Family Guy petition here http://www.petitiononline.com/savefg2/petition.html

P.S. Like your avatar Kamikaze!

Holy mother of crap on a stick! 99204 people have signed the "Get Family Guy back on TV or bust" campaign. That's a lot of people, surely even the thick headed executives, that are running fox in a way that a chimp can do a better job of, can’t ignore that many signatures. Go on and sign it so we can get it to cross the 10.000 signs line…

Got my copy of Family Guy R2 on the day of release. Didn't notice any quality issues. Maybe that's just me.

Hadn't noticed season 2 coming out. Have it on pre-order now.

Do you think that this is the sort of show that couldn't have that many episodes? There is so much in each one that, in my guess, they might run out of steam quite quickly or start looking predictable after maybe 4 seasons.

How many seasons did they manage to squeeze out before getting cancelled?

You guys who don't notice anything wrong with the quality on the R2 Family Guy Season 1 what kind of hardware are you watching it with/on? What kind of television do you have, how big is it, what kind of DVD player do you use, what kind of cables do you use between the TV and DVD player and how many other film do you have on DVD.

I simply cannot understand why some think it looks fine, perhaps you are just not sensitive enough to these issues to notice...

I'm using a Sony 735 DVD going through a Sony 940 Receiver to an Ellie CRT projector. Cables are of decent quality, although not high-end. It could be me to be honest.

As far as I know, they have made three seasons of Family Guy thus far

Only three? A damn shame...
But seriously I just watched another episode on my 28" and it is definitely there and it's very visible. You'd think that it would be much more visible on a projector but there you go.

Got my copy in the week of release and it looked fine to me. I've got a Pioneer 525 and Sony 32" 100Hz TV with a decent (not cheap) RGB cable.

I've watched it several times now and I'm too busy laughing to notice any faults.

I've never had any problems - I've watched it loads of times since it was released ages ago.
Then again I'm not looking for problems when watching something this good

Maybe you just got a dodgy copy Kamikaze!! you sure it's not ripped from DVD / divx'ed and put back on them again and sold?

Dave

Looks like a professional product too me, print on the disc and all, so I very much doubt that I've been had. Are you guys telling me that you don't see JPEG like compression "errors" around the edges of the figures? It looks exactly like a picture that has been compressed too much with JPEG. You know the odd colours around the edges and such. Also there is a lot of flicker which again is caused by too much compression. If you can't see it then I must somehow have a different version that the rest of you.

check the size of the disk in a computer, ie: if it is about 4 gig chances are that it is a rip, over that genuine

Something I notice everytime I play my Family Guy series 1 disk is the copyright warning at the start - the one which is black background, white writing and a big WARNING at the top in red.

It is a standard image which I've seen loads of times - but on the family guy disk the letters in WARNING have jagged edges, like saw tooth effect. Not sure how you guys describe this - I presume this is edge enhancement ?

This just strikes me a weird though - cos regardless of how bad a transfer they do for the main feature - how can this standard copyright warning me messed up also ?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom