False wall build with Fire/storage

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm currently trying to design a false wall which will house an electric fire, TV, Centre speaker, Sky Box, Xbox and an amplifier. I've got a few quotes for someone to come out and supply/build the frame work and also plaster the finished idea and its looking likely to be around £900-£1000.

I did initially think about doing it myself and would be confident I'd get there in the end but just wanted to sense check if it would be any cheaper with me actually doing it as id have to buy a chop saw initially and a decent drill rather than the plug in one which I have.

The width of the room is 2.9m. With regards to the xbox,sky box and amplifier i would look to do something like the attached so the wall would need to come out approx 46cm from the wall and would only be viewable from the side rather than the front which is on the design i mocked up. With regards to a TV bracket can I get one which would pull out that far?

Thanks

Attachments

• TV IDEA.PNG
    TV IDEA.PNG
    220.2 KB · Views: 121
  • skybox.PNG
    skybox.PNG
    218.7 KB · Views: 128
Have you seen The Loft Cinema thread? He's just done a similar build, it looks cracking

Not trying to blow my own trumpet, but, I did a similar build to your TV IDEA image a couple of years ago. Follow my signature

Just found it and had a look and it looks great. Looks similar to what I want to do. Is it easy to knock up the frame? What size wood did you use? I was thinking of recessing the TV so it's flush with the plasterboard but I'm now thinking that's not the best idea as I don't have my new 65" yet

Just found it and had a look and it looks great. Looks similar to what I want to do. Is it easy to knock up the frame? What size wood did you use? I was thinking of recessing the TV so it's flush with the plasterboard but I'm now thinking that's not the best idea as I don't have my new 65" yet
Am assuming the q is directed to me? The timber size from memory was 3"x2".
Approx £100 - £120 to build just the chimney breast. Bought Timber & Plasterboard from wickes. The electrics were from Screwfix

Am assuming the q is directed to me? The timber size from memory was 3"x2".
Approx £100 - £120 to build just the chimney breast. Bought Timber & Plasterboard from wickes. The electrics were from Screwfix
It was yes, thought I quoted but obviously not. How do you find the tv being high up? I've currently got mine at eye level when sitting down or just abit higher. I'm worried if I go for a 75" then its going to be sitting way too high up the wall and we'll get bad necks especially if we are trying to accommodate an electric fire which I read needs to be at least 440-500mm off the floor and then to try and fit in a center speaker?

How's your center speaker performing where it is?

It was yes, thought I quoted but obviously not. How do you find the tv being high up? I've currently got mine at eye level when sitting down or just abit higher. I'm worried if I go for a 75" then its going to be sitting way too high up the wall and we'll get bad necks especially if we are trying to accommodate an electric fire which I read needs to be at least 440-500mm off the floor and then to try and fit in a center speaker?

How's your center speaker performing where it is?
The TV is 65in & just above eye level. The mount was free when I purchased the TV. It's been there for over a year know & we have not suffered any neck problems. Think you can get a slimline tilting mount. Don't have any problems with centre speaker location, although some have mentioned it might of been better between the TV & Fire. Don't remember my fire having a minimum hight requirements. I'll measure hights of speaker/fire & TV & post.

Edit:
from the floor up the bottom of the speaker is 6in, fire 21in, TV 43in

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom