False tv wall diy project

Richb1888

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, took a lot of inspiration from this forum while planning a little diy project for a recessed tv. Just thought I'd share my progress so far.

So here's where I started.... basic square room, with an old 37" Panasonic plasma. Time to upgrade that ! Settled on a Panasonic 50" dx750b.

IMG_3140.JPG

IMG_3138.JPG

Wanted to get it wall mounted but the wall it was going on is an old chimney and chasing out the areas for cable runs just seemed like a lot of hassle. Anyway, decided a false wall in front would be easier. Could then just drop cables down! Saw a few ideas on here and decided to have a go at recessing tv too.

Time to start making a frame....
IMG_3153.JPG

Basic studwork up. Measured and re-measured, then measured again x100 to get tv size + 80mm all round for recess and bit of ventilation...

IMG_3212.JPG

Bracket on... fitted this directly to the original wall which meant I didn't have to bring the wall too far out to recess tv.

IMG_3284.JPG

Cabling etc... power. 4x hdmi's and 2 x cat6 network cables.
IMG_3289.JPG

Tv fit is good. Happy with that!
IMG_3292.JPG

Time to get some boards up...
IMG_3323.JPG

Cutting out last bit of recess....
IMG_3326.JPG

Initially I was just going to join boards and smooth off with a bit of sanding, but decided a skim of plaster would be better. New edges put on ready to skim...
IMG_3504.JPG

IMG_3513.JPG
Have also done a bit of decorating inbetween. The false wall will get a nice paper on it and rest of the room painted. I have a bit of skirting and coving to put on too. Plastering done.... just need to wait on it drying out now!

Nice, neat and subtle, what are the plans for the sides of the wall? looks like there is a recess there...

Looks great. Interested to see how this progresses and what av stuff ends up in use. How and what is that power socket connected to?

Thanks! Gave it a couple of mist coats and a top coat of paint today. Eventually will be papered but won't do it any harm and makes it look neat and tidy until I get papering done. For the socket, I ran a spur from the other socket on left side of chimney down under floor and back up to where new socket is.

Av kit will be relatively low key.... this isn't the main living room. Just a wee room at front of the house which will use for tv etc. Probably I will get a decent Bly ray player and sky Q hopefully getting installed v soon. All the cabling runs to the left of the chimney so will likely get a little unit to put sky box etc in.

I have a 55" panny in the main room with a sonos soundbar setup. Subwoofer next on the shopping list for there and then will connect 2x play 1s for the surrounds.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Everything had a lick of paint. Tv back up.

IMG_3528.JPG

Time to crack on with coving and skirting. Then hopefully wallpaper!

Have chosen this....

image.jpg

Has a metallic finish on it, but hopefully the pattern isn't too fussy around the tv!

Richb1888, This really looks clean and nice! I´ve been thinking about something similar in my living room but with a wider "extra wall" after finishing the downstairs cinema room but after seeing this I'm thinking more of making the wall in about the same size as you have done since it looks so clean. Really like the idea of getting the tv in to a wall and the clean area around it in a living room where the tv isn´t always the main focus point.
Great work!

Had a mess around with some led lighting strips. Will prob just leave on white, but you get the idea....

IMG_3535.JPG

IMG_3536.PNG

Attachments

• IMG_3529.JPG
    IMG_3529.JPG
    987 KB · Views: 1,367
Coving and skirting on. Bit of filling and painting to do next! Those angles were a bit tricky!!! Amazing how off the ceiling is too! Bit of filler and you will never notice tho! Trimmed carpet too to fit new wall. Getting there......!
IMG_3537.JPG

Also got a bit distracted today and bought this for next door...
IMG_3541.JPG

Last edited:
Pic doesn't really do it justice but pretty much there now. Going to wallpaper in a few weeks when I have some free time but pleased with the end result so far!

IMG_3569.JPG

Not massively happy with the bias lighting... they are not white enough. Simulated white from RGB leds. Will have to look for something else instead. Any suggestions?

This looks great! We thought about putting lights around the TV in ours, and I didn't want them at the time. But I quite like the look, so it might be something we can add in the future if we like.
It does look really good, you are very clever.

Hi,

What depth has this added to the original wall? Want to see if I can do something similar, but concerned on the depth it'll add.

Matt

Looking good. Rather jealous over the Sonos sub as I have the playbar and 2 play 1's. I did think about the sub but now Sonos have added True Play the sound is amazing and I think the sub might be overkill. The tv is obviously hooked up to Sky but where is the box located?

I'm using 5050 RGBW dual row LED strip behind my 65" flat screen which is in a false wall like yours. That gives you rgb colour mixing leds and genuine white leds (pick your colour temp I've got 'cool white' I forget what that is as a number)

If you use the appropriate controller you can also mix the RGB chips with the white chips (i.e use both strips at the same time). The colours really 'pop' then.

I'm using 5050 RGBW dual row LED strip behind my 65" flat screen which is in a false wall like yours. That gives you rgb colour mixing leds and genuine white leds (pick your colour temp I've got 'cool white' I forget what that is as a number)

If you use the appropriate controller you can also mix the RGB chips with the white chips (i.e use both strips at the same time). The colours really 'pop' then.

That sounds perfect! Will have a look for them. Best of both worlds! Thanks!

Looking good. Rather jealous over the Sonos sub as I have the playbar and 2 play 1's. I did think about the sub but now Sonos have added True Play the sound is amazing and I think the sub might be overkill. The tv is obviously hooked up to Sky but where is the box located?

The sonos sub is fantastic! I agree true play tuning has really enhanced the overall sound but the sub gives it more depth! I haven't hooked surround play 1s up yet. That's next.... do you get a decent surround effect?

Thanks.

Ps sky box is sitting on the floor behind a footstool at the moment lol but it will eventually be in a unit/on a shelf depending on what furniture we get. Everything runs to the left hand side alcove. Here's a couple of dodgy panoramic iPhone pics that give a better view of the room ...

Attachments

• IMG_3590.JPG
    7.6 MB · Views: 1,019
  • IMG_3590.JPG
    7.6 MB · Views: 1,288
Hi,

What depth has this added to the original wall? Want to see if I can do something similar, but concerned on the depth it'll add.

Matt

In terms of depth it now comes out 195mm. The original chimney was about 90-95mm. It doesnt really look any bigger than what was there before and it's not the biggest of rooms. I was concerned about the same so kept things to a minimum. That's why the bracket fixes directly to the original chimney wall with a cut out to accommodate it (see post #2). This allowed me to use 100mm studs to get the depth req'd for recess. Thanks for looking, and good luck. I'd say go for it!!

I haven't hooked surround play 1s up yet. That's next.... do you get a decent surround effect?

Now that they have added the True Play tuning into the mix, yes, it splits the surround far better than it originally did and you really notice it more. Before it was rather flat and hard to distinguish that there was actually a surround track there but now its far more punchy and you really notice it. I have only got the bar and the 2 rear play 1's and for me, its fantastic as it is and I can only assume that it gets better as you add 2 more play 1's for the front surrounds. Best soundbar i've ever had and I've been though some of the top Yamaha ranges. Sonos is well worth the money.

Now that they have added the True Play tuning into the mix, yes, it splits the surround far better than it originally did and you really notice it more. Before it was rather flat and hard to distinguish that there was actually a surround track there but now its far more punchy and you really notice it. I have only got the bar and the 2 rear play 1's and for me, its fantastic as it is and I can only assume that it gets better as you add 2 more play 1's for the front surrounds. Best soundbar i've ever had and I've been though some of the top Yamaha ranges. Sonos is well worth the money.

I have a play 1 and a play 3 in other rooms. Sonos kit is superb. Didn't know you could add a further 2 x play 1s as front surrounds!! Cheers

I have a play 1 and a play 3 in other rooms. Sonos kit is superb. Didn't know you could add a further 2 x play 1s as front surrounds!! Cheers

Yeah, as far as I know, you can add as many as you like and it'll split the sound equally so you can create a true 5.1 or 7.1 setup with it. :)

Do you have a link to the tv bracket you've used and also could we have some shots of the lights and how you've attached them?

Do you have a link to the tv bracket you've used and also could we have some shots of the lights and how you've attached them?

Hi, here's the link to the bracket I used. It's actually really good. Been v impressed with the amount of adjustment you can make to angle/tilt/swivel etc. And it was pretty reasonably priced too!

Invision® TV Wall Mount Bracket - New Slim Line Design With Cantilever Arm Tilt & Swivel Feature For 26 - 55 inch TV Screens, Fits LED, LCD & Plasma, Max VESA 400mm x 400mm (Please check TV VESA Mounting Holes Before Purchase): Amazon.co.uk: TV

Will get some pics of the lights when I get a chance but I used hooks in corners of tv - saw it on another thread on here.

Cheers

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

Here's how the lights are fixed...

IMG_3691.JPG

IMG_3692.JPG

IMG_3693.JPG

Used Command hooks on tv. Not perfect but works well for what it is!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom