False Imprisonment Poland

What makes you think it was done intentionally? What would the taxi driver gain from that?

I would just chalk it up to a life experience. I was once incorrectly beaten by Spanish police, I got nothing but a cool story to tell.

I'm sympathetic to your plight. Sorcerer wants to nail you to a post for some reason.

I'm also sympathetic and I agree that 20 hours in a police cell is WAY too much and should never have happened - the police obviously mishandled it.

Where I have no sympathy at all and what is really grinding my gears is that Gingerbeard is blaming the taxi driver when all he did was take it out of the boot - it was GB who took it into the hotel and up to the room. And also that GB was asking about compensation and getting money for a situation that HE (and/or his fellow travellers) caused by being so utterly foolish in the first place. In an earlier post he said:

Yes hind sight is a wonderful thing, but when caught up in the moment you really don't think quick enough

but they had 24 hours to avoid "the moment" and stop it from ever happening!

Last edited:
What makes you think it was done intentionally? What would the taxi driver gain from that?

I would just chalk it up to a life experience. I was once incorrectly beaten by Spanish police, I got nothing but a cool story to tell.

In cohoots with the police, possible bribe perhaps - perhaps the fact we had someone from poland with us scuppered their plans. Why didn't the taxi driver come back into the hotel and say I may accidently give my bag to a group of tourists I dropped off? Only the taxi driver could answer this one!

Sounds like you had a painful experience - not so sure I would describe it as cool though! :eek:

In cohoots with the police, possible bribe perhaps - perhaps the fact we had someone from poland with us scuppered their plans. Why didn't the taxi driver come back into the hotel and say I may accidently give my bag to a group of tourists I dropped off? Only the taxi driver could answer this one!

Sounds like you had a painful experience - not so sure I would describe it as cool though! :eek:

For what purposes though? It's not like they make money from locking people up. I don't understand the scam

The taxi driver probably didn’t even know he’d unloaded his own bag himself (if he was aware of this, he wouldn’t have unloaded it). We’ve all zoned out/gone into autopilot before - it’s how car keys sometimes end up in the fridge :D

He most likely just jumped to the conclusion that one of the party swiped it when he wasn’t looking.

Police in Poland have the right to keep anybody for 24 hours in custody sometimes longer for 48 hours depending of circumstances, even without explanation, full stop. You should consider yourself lucky,as mentioned previously you could end up with bag full of drugs etc,not even knowing that, do not want to go deeper to details but keeping strange looking bag in the hotel room for 24 hours? Come on, Live is Brutal,lesson to be learned,keep your head down and carry on😁

Police went over the top and should be held accountable in my opinion, I'd make a complaint for sure but I doubt there will be any compo going about.

I suspect the definition of theft might be different in Poland compared to the UK, but just using the UK definition as an example, I don't think it required 20 hours of detention to conclude, that the elements of the offence had not been completed. Even with the language barrier.

I suspect the definition of theft might be different in Poland compared to the UK, but just using the UK definition as an example, I don't think it required 20 hours of detention to conclude, that the elements of the offence had not been completed. Even with the language barrier.
To the UK police it would be, in effect, almost the same as this case. All they knew was taxi driver reported stolen bag, & stolen bag was found in OP’s room - hence theft as far as they knew.

To the UK police it would be, in effect, almost the same as this case. All they knew was taxi driver reported stolen bag, & stolen bag was found in OP’s room - hence theft as far as they knew.

That’s theft by finding. Any reasonable person finding a bank note in such circumstances, would know that the item belonged to another. That’s dishonesty appropriating property. If she later spends the money, she has intentionally deprived the original owner. Not sure about the rest of the elements of the offence.

In this case, there was no dishonesty, and no intention to permanently deprive. Aka, the offence is not complete.

If the OP later realised the case was not his room mates, then left Poland (for example) with the case, the elements of the offence would be complete.

The police had a legitimate reason for suspecting that an attempted theft had taken place, and held him until it could be sorted out. Perhaps the delay was too long, but we don't know whether there was a problem with interpreters which contributed to that. Once a suspect's in custody, there's no way they'd release him until they were totally sure of their facts, or the statutory time limit had run out.

If this had been the other way round in the UK, the police would have done exactly the same. There would be no question of compensation, since there was reasonable cause to hold him. The thread title is a misnomer: he wasn't falsely imprisoned; he was held in custody pending inquiries.

That’s theft by finding. Any reasonable person finding a bank note in such circumstances, would know that the item belonged to another. That’s dishonesty appropriating property.
The Polish police aren’t mind readers. As far as they knew at the time of arrest, it was theft as above.

In this case, there was no dishonesty, and no intention to permanently deprive. Aka, the offence is not complete.

If the OP later realised the case was not his room mates, then left Poland (for example) with the case, the elements of the offence would be complete.
So say if I came across a brand new large screen TV & took it home & kept it on my living room wall, I haven’t actually committed theft as the elements of the offence aren’t complete as I’m willing to return it to the original owner if they turn up asking for it - I’m not permanently depriving them of it as I’m willing to return it? o_O

Last edited:
The Polish police aren’t mind readers. As far as they knew at the time of arrest, it was theft as above.

Of course the Polish police would had enough suspicion for the offence of theft (using UK definition).

However, as soon as the information changes, so does the authority to detain. Even without questioning the OP using an official interpreter, its possible for them to have some doubts that elements of the offence are incomplete. So the justification to detain, just because that had trouble sourcing an interpreter is suspect.

Even though the OP is a foreign national, he should of been given bail, to attend the police station when they have all things available, IMO.

OP should of been given access to legal advice, someone informed of his arrest, and the local British Consulate informed. @Gingerbeard were you given these rights? As far as I've read, Police authorities (Polish) are signed up to these conventions.

Last edited:
So say if I came across a brand new large screen TV & took it home & kept it on my living room wall, I haven’t actually committed theft as the elements of the offence aren’t complete as I’m willing to return it to the original owner if they turn up asking for it - I’m not permanently depriving them of it as I’m willing to return it? o_O

It depends on what steps you take to find out who the owners are.

For example, if you attended your local police station, and gave them all the details of this item of found property. You could indeed retain it, to allow time for owners to be found, as long as you agree to keep in good stead etc.

After a period of time, if the owners are not located, you could apply to keep the item.

Obviously there are caveats to the process. But in your case, you are not dishonesty appropriating. In the example you gave, the young lady should of handed in the £20 note, to the shop owners, or taken it to the police station. She might of later been £20 richer, as opposed to now having a conviction. Surprised she never received a caution, unless she wasn’t eligible.

Of course the Polish police would had enough suspicion for the offence of theft (using UK definition).

However, as soon as the information changes, so does the authority to detain. Even without questioning the OP using an official interpreter, its possible for them to have some doubts that elements of the offence are incomplete. So the justification to detain, just because that had trouble sourcing an interpreter is suspect.

Even though the OP is a foreign national, he should of been given bail, to attend the police station when they have all things available, IMO.

OP should of been given access to legal advice, someone informed of his arrest, and the local British Consulate informed. @Gingerbeard were you given these rights? As far as I've read, Police authorities (Polish) are signed up to these conventions.

Nope, absolutely nothing. I'm not even sure that I was formerly arrested! Certainly had no rights given to me in Polish or English, no offer of a phone call or anything else, just told I would need to wait for the interpreter, which could take up to 48hrs

I'm the sort of person that if I find something I instinctively hand it back it in. It is one of the reasons why this situation has frustrated me so much.

On two occasions I have found a persons wallet, once in Selecta Disc in Nottingham which was at the counter as I paid for some LPs and was stuffed with cash and the other time a lady left what looked like a coin or gem bag in the back of London cab as she was getting out - I would hope someone would do the same for me If I ever left my wallet or a valuable item somewhere

I'm the sort of person that if I find something I instinctively hand it back it in. It is one of the reasons why this situation has frustrated me so much.

On two occasions I have found a persons wallet, once in Selecta Disc in Nottingham which was at the counter as I paid for some LPs and was stuffed with cash and the other time a lady left what looked like a coin or gem bag in the back of London cab as she was getting out - I would hope someone would do the same for me If I ever left my wallet or a valuable item somewhere

Try your Travel Insurance?

Nope, absolutely nothing. I'm not even sure that I was formerly arrested! Certainly had no rights given to me in Polish or English, no offer of a phone call or anything else, just told I would need to wait for the interpreter, which could take up to 48hrs
What conditions were you detained in? Were you in a cell?

What conditions were you detained in? Were you in a cell?

Yes, a pretty rank cell. Stank of stale cigarettes, everything screwed down, single manky plastic type mattress, given 2 horrible grey blankets - no food or water for entire duration, had to ask to go to the bathroom and didn't sleep a wink as they switch the lights on every half hour and open the latch to check you haven't harmed yourself - the entire thing and experience was just grim... :(

Yes, a pretty rank cell. Stank of stale cigarettes, everything screwed down, single manky plastic type mattress, given 2 horrible grey blankets - no food or water for entire duration, had to ask to go to the bathroom and didn't sleep a wink as they switch the lights on every half hour and open the latch to check you haven't harmed yourself - the entire thing and experience was just grim... :(

Not sure where you would get with this, but it does sound you were unlawfully detained. Have you contacted the Foreign Office, to pass on your experience. Might prevent someone else suffering. There is an organisation(s) that helps nationals being unfairly treated abroad.

Look there is really little you can do, it is done and dusted, move on with your life.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom