• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

False Chimney Breast - where to start?

evobaz

Standard Member
Recently moved house and the house we've bought is being rewired so its been ripped apart. Downstairs ceilings have benn taken down, kitchen out, central heating out etc.

After seing a friends one and reading so much about them on here I'm toying with the idea of building a false chimney breast for my TV in the sitting room but have a few questions.

Where do you start?

I guess i'd need to start by getting a suitable wall bracket for my TV and working out where it should be mounted?

Where's the best place to get a bracket for my Sony KDL-40W5710?

Would i be best to mount the bracket directly onto the wall (brick and plater wall) or would I be best to mount it onto the wooden framework?

I have a friend who's a brillint joiner and he'd be more than able to construct the framework and board it all. My brother in law in as aimes taper so he'd be able to tape it all and skim it with plaster.

Where do you guys get the units that most of you use on your floating wall projects for housing your amps / sky hd / blu-ray / dvd players etc? My friend mentioned that he made his own but that they worked out expensive - he thought Ikea done something fairly similar.

Sorry fro all the questions but i'm a bit of a noob to this false chimney stuff.

Cheers
Baz

ninja tattoo

Established Member
Where do you guys get the units that most of you use on your floating wall projects for housing your amps / sky hd / blu-ray / dvd players etc? My friend mentioned that he made his own but that they worked out expensive - he thought Ikea done something fairly similar.

Sorry fro all the questions but i'm a bit of a noob to this false chimney stuff.

Cheers
Baz

Can't help you on your other questions sorry mate but if your planning on copying this:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/home-cinema-diy/655528-how-too-diy-floating-shelves-finally.html

then you can buy the shelving from screwfix : Upright 950 x 25mm White Pack of 2 - Screwfix.com, Where the Trade Buys

and U Brackets White 370 x 13mm Pack of 10 - Screwfix.com, Where the Trade Buys

I know you wont need 10 but at B+Q they are £5 each.

If you was to buy this at B+q it would cost you £40 at Screwfix its £28.47 delivered

burrowsr1

Standard Member
Just done one myself with a 40" Sony. I used a bracket off ebay with a double arm swivel so i could pull it in and out of the recess if needs be

I started by mounting the tv bracket and tv in the centre of the wall then built the chimney around it (not literally) leaving a 50mm gap for backlighting it.

If your place is in bits I would defo recommend hiding the kit out of sight if you can just for that cleaner look. Personal preference that tho.

evobaz

Standard Member
Thanks guys.

Yes the place is totally gutted. Ceilings down, carpets and floor coverings all removed etc.

I'm planning on doing the false chimney or floating wall in the rear sitting room with AV receiver, Sky HD, Blu Ray player etc all stored in low level storage cabinets under the TV which will obviously be wall mounted. I'll be wanting to mount my speakers (Bose Acoustimass 15's) in/on the false chimey breast or floating wall - still undecided which to go for.

I'm hoping to try and link all the above devices through to the living room which will have a simplistic feel with only a TV, Couch, Wood burning stove and ceiling mounted speakers in it.

FluffyKeith

Established Member
Is your stove going to be in the false chimney with the TV above?

If so I am currently starting the same thing. I'm only at the stage of increasing the hearth size under the floor. But I don't have much of a plan for the cooling air flow for the TV.
I thought TV heat could go up the inside of the false chimney breast and out vents in the side, cool air drawn up from either near the floor on the side or under the floor. The under floor is good as its cooler and also privides the ventilation required for the stove.
The TV would be set in but not as a box like most do but open to the void of the chimney breast and the front face built tight to the screen edge. Needs some small gap and finishing nice to make it look right.

What are your thoughts?

evobaz

Standard Member
No the wood burning stove is going in a real fireplace in another room. Stove is going in living room and the false chimney / floating wall with TV in it is in the sitting room.

There is a real chimney behind the wall where the TV will be mounted though.

(I'm hoping to link all sky, blu-ray systems etc from sitting room through to the living room though:D)

evobaz

Standard Member
Just done one myself with a 40" Sony. I used a bracket off ebay with a double arm swivel so i could pull it in and out of the recess if needs be

I started by mounting the tv bracket and tv in the centre of the wall then built the chimney around it (not literally) leaving a 50mm gap for backlighting it.

If your place is in bits I would defo recommend hiding the kit out of sight if you can just for that cleaner look. Personal preference that tho.

Just seen your thread and thats the very same way that I was planning to do mine. Can you send me a link to the ebay ad for your bracket:D

Cheers
Baz

burrowsr1

Standard Member

evobaz

Standard Member
Hi Baz

Link for the tv bracket below:
LCD TV WALL BRACKET Double Arm Swivel 32 37 40 42 46 48 on eBay (end time 19-Nov-09 10:19:05 GMT)

I bought the Apollo Ambient lighting Kit, from Neon-lights.co.uk and they look awesome. Defo recommend them if your thinking of a similar setup to me.

Cheers

Stu

Stu,

thanks for that mate. I've just ordered the same bracket:smashin:

I'm planning on using Ikea LED strip lights behind the tv. Seen them in a friends kitchen and thought they were pretty cool. Can have them as colour changing or you can have them fixed on one colour.

Cheers mate:D

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom