• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

False Chimney Breast Build

Toby85

Standard Member
Hi,

A while ago (back in Jan) I started looking into a false chimney breast build for the family living room and created a thread on here asking a few questions. Eventually got cracking and made steady progress over the last month or so, glad it's now complete! Had enough of diy, this was the last room in the house since we moved in 3 years ago!

Was a little worried the tv would sit too high but turns out we completely forgot about it after about 10 minutes watching and the tv mount can be tilted if needs be.

The following are mounted beside the breast in the right hand cupboard with just the tv above in the recess;

- Samsung ks8000
- Teac AH-300 stereo amp
- Tannoy revolution R1 speakers
- PS4 slim
- Humax youview
- Amazon fire stick
- Apple TV 4th gen
- Logitech harmony ultimate

I plan to replace the amp and add a sub in the future but this is a modest build and I'm not interested in huge TVs and full surround in the family living room - save that for the planned extension...

Progress pics start to finish as follows;

Toby85

Standard Member
Before;
IMG_3021.JPG

Day 1;
IMG_3022.JPG

Day 2;
IMG_3024.JPG

Day 3;
IMG_3026.JPG

Studwork;
IMG_3048.JPG

Studwork finished and fire plumbed;
IMG_3072.JPG

Plasterboard up, cupboards started;
IMG_3074.JPG
IMG_3105.JPG

Started filling joints;
IMG_3119.JPG

Additional lighting, more work on cupboards, joints and corners ready for covering;
IMG_3149.JPG

Toby85

Standard Member
Coving and skirting on, wall covering up (issues hanging this, needs some more work, partners choice, never again), walls pained;
IMG_3207.JPG

Finishing up cupboards and shelving, glossing done;
IMG_3227.JPG

Done, new carpet fitted;
IMG_3233.JPG

IMG_3253.JPG

Just waiting for the new sofas to turn up now, otherwise well happy with the result!

Thanks for looking.

Toby

beaujangles

Looks great. Are you going to do anything with the sound system? I still think you should have a word with the missus about the sparkling wall haha

DeepDiver

Been thinking about doing just what you have done for a long time now. Still debating with the wife as to fire or no fire. We already have a fire. How deep is the fire and where did you get it from. I guess all your equipment is in the cupboards?

Great Job Too

Toby85

Standard Member
Thanks! Ha, wallpaper doesn't bother me too much, I'd have rather something a little more subtle but it's not too bad.

As regards the sound, like I said in the first post I currently have a Teac A-H300 stereo amp and a pair of Tannoy revolution R1 speakers. I will replace the amp with a more modern stereo amp as they tend to have subwoofer outputs now which will allow me to add a woofer, but I don't like having full surround in the family living room as it becomes a little obtrusive - I'll save that for the planned extension! Other half doesn't know this mind. I don't like the living room dominated by AV hence the modest 49" TV in a recess, more into subtle integration!

We will probably never use the fire to be fair, but it's nice to know it's there and just wanted to make a nice feature! The fire is a gazco studio 2 balanced flue with edge kit, there is a drawing here with all dimensions;

Gazco Studio Edge Mk2 Wall Mounted Gas Fire (Balanced Flue) - Hotprice.co.uk

All the AV stuff is in the R/H cupboard yes, using a harmony hub to control it all which works brilliantly!

Mdre83

Coving and skirting on, wall covering up (issues hanging this, needs some more work, partners choice, never again), walls pained;
View attachment 886967

Hi Toby, very nice setup mate. Just a quick question and apologies if I've missed it through the threads. The side cupboards, did you use the cupboard carcasses or just mount the doors to the walls and add a top?
Do you have any pics of the internals setup?

Cheers,
Martin

Last edited:

Toby85

Standard Member
Hi Martin,

Sorry, I didn’t see your reply previously! I just mounted doors to the walls mate, some careful measuring was necessary before building, then screwed batons to the walls to mount the tops and internal shelves. I don’t have internal pics I’m afraid! Nothing much to show. I screwed mdf strips to the walls using relevant fixtures then screwed hinges in to these, nice and easy!

Hope this helps, sorry for delay.

Toby

Mdre83

Hi Martin,

Sorry, I didn’t see your reply previously! I just mounted doors to the walls mate, some careful measuring was necessary before building, then screwed batons to the walls to mount the tops and internal shelves. I don’t have internal pics I’m afraid! Nothing much to show. I screwed mdf strips to the walls using relevant fixtures then screwed hinges in to these, nice and easy!

Hope this helps, sorry for delay.

Toby

Hi Toby,

No probs, cool cheers for the reply [emoji1303]

Toad123

Novice Member
Hi Toby, nice job mate.
I read your original queries regarding insulating the false chimney from the heat of the fire. Do you have any issues with the wallpaper curling up in the area immediately around the fire. Does the area around the fire get hot to touch?

Did you double board behind the t.v or use any other heat proof insulation. Also if im hoping to hang the telly without the recess do you feel the heat from the fire rising up would cause damage.

Would be intresting to hear your views Thanks
Al

tals

Standard Member
This is similar to the setup we are looking at, although we will probably try the slimline to reduce the depth. 6 months in how is it now, I'd always assumed a TV above the fire would have problems with the heat. Also did you need to use any fireproof plasterboard/plaster getting different feedback from different suppliers.

pizzey

Novice Member
Hi I was wondering what you did with the electrics for the tv? Did you run them up infront of the flue? Was there any issue with the heat near the electrics?

Last edited:

kristoffdj

Looks great.

How did you get on doing the studwork out of metal. What sort of box section is it? How do you cut it and what screws do you use to fix it together?

Sorry, lots of questions, but I always use wood as I'm scared of working with metal. It's never been easy when I've tried. There seems to be obvious benefits in terms of no warping and weight though.

davidegee

I'm not Toby, but I've used metal studwork for a few things recently. I've never made any studwalls etc previously, wood or metal. I found it unbelievably easy to use. Clean, quiet and allows for really fine adjustment to get really tight tolerances.

I used 55mm c-stud and compatible u-track.

Mujnu

Novice Member
apologies for resurrecting an old thread.

I wanted to know if there's any regulations for gas fires in terms of the gap needed between the fireplace and the TV?

Does there also need to be any gaps left around the fireplace?

Thanks

the mozza

I am going to do this (not me personally I will pay someone) but by the time I put the centre speaker below the TV and a slot for the amp, etc the TV will be very high. I want to get rid of the amp but the speakers amd sun will go To the side and not much room. For anything else

MaverickSnowboarder

Novice Member
Thanks! Ha, wallpaper doesn't bother me too much, I'd have rather something a little more subtle but it's not too bad.

As regards the sound, like I said in the first post I currently have a Teac A-H300 stereo amp and a pair of Tannoy revolution R1 speakers. I will replace the amp with a more modern stereo amp as they tend to have subwoofer outputs now which will allow me to add a woofer, but I don't like having full surround in the family living room as it becomes a little obtrusive - I'll save that for the planned extension! Other half doesn't know this mind. I don't like the living room dominated by AV hence the modest 49" TV in a recess, more into subtle integration!

We will probably never use the fire to be fair, but it's nice to know it's there and just wanted to make a nice feature! The fire is a gazco studio 2 balanced flue with edge kit, there is a drawing here with all dimensions;

Gazco Studio Edge Mk2 Wall Mounted Gas Fire (Balanced Flue) - Hotprice.co.uk

All the AV stuff is in the R/H cupboard yes, using a harmony hub to control it all which works brilliantly!

Hi, I know it’s been a while since you post and hope you are enjoying your setup. I also have a Gazco Studio fire and a Harmony Hub. Did you ever configure the Harmony Hub to control the fire?

MaverickSnowboarder

Novice Member
Would be interested to know as well, but I've never got mine to work.
UPDATE: Got an official reply from Logitech:
I can understand that you'd like to know whether Gazco/Stovax Studio Expression gas fire device is compatible with Harmony remote.

Please be informed that Harmony controls all the devices that are controlled via IR signals and only few devices via Bluetooth and IP.

Since your device is controlled via Bluetooth signals, it is not possible to teach the commands using the original remote to Harmony. Refer to the following link to check device compatibility:

Device Compatibility

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom