• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

False chimney around existing chimney

5chulzy

Standard Member
Hi ive been giving the all clear by the misses to start doin some work in the living room. We had an old back boiler removed last year and was left with a brick fireplace surround that is really horrible (pic 1).

The plan is to remove all the brick surrond so im left with just the chimney breast (pic 2) and then build a stud wall wall around it (pic 3) out of 4x2 or 3x2 timber and then board it with 12mm plasterboard (pic 4).
Ill make two recesses for a new panny p50g10 and an electric fire so they are sunken into the wall. The stud wall will sit 30mm off the existing wall so I can run cables behind the wall and up to the tv, and the tv will be fixed to the existing chimney wall so the distance from existing wall to front of stud wall is enough for the tv to be sunken in.
All the cables will run out of the right hand side where I will have Sky+ HD, PS3, Xbox360, Wii and DVD player connected.

Ive got to move a few electrical sockets about but am I right in thinking its as straight forward as
1. remove bricks
2. build stud wall
3. run cables behind studs
3. plasterboard
4. move electrical points
5. plaster and make good.

Im pretty good and diy and building stuff so i will do it all my self the only thing I will get someone to do is the plastering (got a friend that I can ask for mates rates)

Will Ill be able to use 3x2 timber or would it be best to use 4x2? (pic 5) and does the design look suitable?

Attachments

• front room convesion.jpg
    front room convesion.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 615
  • fron1.jpg
    fron1.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 345
  • fron11.jpg
    fron11.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 367
  • fron13.jpg
    fron13.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 332
  • fron12.jpg
    fron12.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 618
Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom