Fallout 3 GOTY Edition

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member
Evening folks, I was just curious with the date of this release getting closer the 5 extra content is it going to just be on the disc like 1 whole game or with codes to download them off of live or on a seperate disc you will have to install ?

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member
Fallout 3 GOTY has all the 5 DLC on disc.

:smashin:

So no installing needed for the expansions or anything like that. Consider this now pre-ordered.

The only reason I didnt buy this is cause of the DRM crap if an xbox dies you cant play ur content unless u on live. Also if you take HDD round mates house you cant play it either.

Its complete ********.

p9ul

Distinguished Member
So no installing needed for the expansions or anything like that. Consider this now pre-ordered.

The only reason I didnt buy this is cause of the DRM crap if an xbox dies you cant play ur content unless u on live. Also if you take HDD round mates house you cant play it either.

Its complete ********.

If you send your console back MS for repair and they send you a replacement, part of the process involves moving all your DRM stuff to the new console. This doesn't affect the 1 DRM transfer a year you can do yourself.

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member

Its complete ********.

The expansions will be on disc but you will still need to install them onto your HDD.

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member
The expansions will be on disc but you will still need to install them onto your HDD.

So its not just all compiled into a new version of the game you can play on the disc, it has to be installed ?

oh well, guess im not pre-ordering this I dont have the space to install games.

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
Is Mothership Zeta coming out as a standalone DLC disc for purchase ? Its the only one I am missing.

Andy58

Is Mothership Zeta coming out as a standalone DLC disc for purchase ? Its the only one I am missing.

Don't think so Steve. Its obviously on the GOTY version but I don't think its gone on the other discs (TBH I wouldn't bother with it, poor dlc and spoilt my memory of the game)

EDIT -If you do get it and go for 100% achievements, make sure you get a guide where the collectable audio diary things are first. Believe me, you won't want to play through twice and there's a point of no return after which you can't go back and collect 'em from other areas. Lazy, poor design and bad news.

Last edited:

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
So its not just all compiled into a new version of the game you can play on the disc, it has to be installed ?

oh well, guess im not pre-ordering this I dont have the space to install games.

I assume the Fallout 3 GOTY release would be like the Oblivion GOTY release with the standard game disc and another with all the expansion packs that need to be installed to the HDD before they can be incorporated into the game.

Mr Noble

Distinguished Member
I assume the Fallout 3 GOTY release would be like the Oblivion GOTY release with the standard game disc and another with all the expansion packs that need to be installed to the HDD before they can be incorporated into the game.

You dont need to install them to the hard drive , you just stick the disc in and play , it's like an update to the original Fallout 3 so you should not need to install the disc to drive :smashin:

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
You dont need to install them to the hard drive , you just stick the disc in and play , it's like an update to the original Fallout 3 so you should not need to install the disc to drive :smashin:

If the GOTY edition has the extra content already incorporated into the game then you are right it will be fine but if they are provided on a seperate disc like they are with Oblivion then they will have to be installed onto the HDD first just like the already available Fallout 3 add-ons pack do.

Last edited:

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member
If the GOTY edition has the extra content already incorporated into the game then you are right it will be fine but if they are provided on a seperate disc like they are with Oblivion then they will have to be installed onto the HDD first just like the already available Fallout 3 add-ons pack do.

Hopefully it will just be a 1 disc job.

for_mandalore

I remember reading a post, could be on these forums, where the poster had an issue playing Fallout 3 where Broken Steel had been installed. Iirc, the issue was that (spoiler, just in case):
Three Dog was mentioning the Enclave and the Purifier even before that part of the game had been reached.

I assume that this is a fixable bug that won't be present on the GOTY edition? That is my only concern with all the content on one disc, that little things like that will get missed.

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member
Phoned around some game shops nobody got any stock of these on the 360 so still cant get confirmation on how many discs are here.

justageezer

There's a review on Eurogamer that mentions the DLC being on a 2nd disc - but then goes on to say that that means there's no problem with HD space, implying the DLC isn't installed, which seems unlikely.
Given that the original game is pretty large I'd be very surprised if they'd managed to squeeze the substantial DLC onto the same disc, so I'd expect simply one disc with the original game and a 2nd disc with the DLC, and that you would have to copy the DLC to your HDD first otherwise the game will play like the non-GOTY version. I really can't see Bethesda re-writing the whole game to integrate the DLC into the original game files.
As noted above the DLC packs do vary in quality, however if you want the 'full' experience (and all of the unique weapons, armour and gear) then you need all five, but Broken Steel would be the only one I'd say was 'required' simply because it ups the level cap from 20 to 30 - and you can easily hit 30 just playing the main quest.
I'd rate them:
1/ Broken Steel - +50% levels, perks and extends game after main quest
2/ Point Lookout - most 'RPG-esque' DLC but no unmissable goodies, though a glitch allow the player to repair otherwise irreparable items to 100% (and you can get a bit of your brain in a nice display jar!)
3/ The Pitt - personally my least favourite as dark and depressing, but has RPG quest choices, silenced assault rifles and some good power armour, as well as the Ammo Press for re-calibering ammo
4/ Operation Anchorage - no real RPG elements & probably shortest DLC, but gives player the Gauss Rifle (best gun in game) and Chinese Stealth Armour (best sneak armour) - as well as being glitched in such a way that a player can get some indestructible weapons, unique gear and unlimited ammo.
5/ Mothership Zeta - linear FPS-style gameplay, but adds some interesting armour and guns, as well as the best healing aid (adapted Biogel) and Alien Epoxy, which can repair any weapon to 100% - very handy. Being able to beam aboard your own spaceship for a quick chill-out is also pretty cool :)
hth,
paul

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member
Do you know of any DRM issues if installed to a console thats connected to live then the hard drive taken round mates house as I do that frequently and have lots of trouble with the map packs for certain games.

Noggleboggleman

It comes on 2 discs:

Disc 1 is the original game disc

Disc 2 has all the dlc. You install it onto the HD and it plays in the same way as if you had downloaded it from Xbox Live.

In theory, you could buy the GOTY edition, install the dlc and sell it on. The you can play through the whole thing with all the dlc with a copy of the regular version. You'd probably end up paying around £15 all in! Now that's a bargain.

It works in the same way as the Oblivion GOTY edition does.

I know this because it says so on ign!

The PS3 version has the whole lot on one blu-ray disc due to the increased capacity size.

Noggleboggleman

Do you know of any DRM issues if installed to a console thats connected to live then the hard drive taken round mates house as I do that frequently and have lots of trouble with the map packs for certain games.

I'm not sure 100%, but it doesn't recognise on Xbox Live when you've installed some dlc from a disc (as it stills gives you the option to purchase it on the Marketplace), only when you've bought it from Xbox live directly.

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member
I'm not sure 100%, but it doesn't recognise on Xbox Live when you've installed some dlc from a disc (as it stills gives you the option to purchase it on the Marketplace), only when you've bought it from Xbox live directly.

Thx for that, might pick it up and see.

Its rare I manage to get on live lately and dont want to have to be connecting to it to play it. Will pick it up during next week sometime and give it a play :)

Crovon

Distinguished Member
So, who wants to start a 2nd disc DLC trade thread then?

;)

for_mandalore

It comes on 2 discs:

Disc 1 is the original game disc

Disc 2 has all the dlc. You install it onto the HD and it plays in the same way as if you had downloaded it from Xbox Live.

Can you install the plug-ins from the second disc seperately or do you have to install all the extra content at once? I suppose it's not a huge issue but I'd like to play through the main story, possibly doing OA and TP before installing BS.

Noggleboggleman

Can you install the plug-ins from the second disc seperately or do you have to install all the extra content at once? I suppose it's not a huge issue but I'd like to play through the main story, possibly doing OA and TP before installing BS.

I'm afraid I'm not sure - I don't actually own the GOTY edition. I did buy the first expansion disc before selling it on, but I don't know if I was able to install each. I would imagine you could though, or at least delete the ones you don't want afterwards as I'm pretty sure it acts in the same way as if you'd bought them from the Marketplace.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution