• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Fallout 3 GoTY and Windows 7 64 Bit

SteveT1138

Standard Member
I have just taken delivery of a Alienware M15X laptop with Windows 7 64 Bit installed and my question is will Fallout 3 GoTY edition run?
The reason I ask is that I have heard quite a few conflicting comments on this and was wondering if anyone had a definitive answer?
My system is a i7 740M, 4gb ram, Nvidia GTX460M 1.5gb, 500gb HD.

nero0410

Distinguished Member
With an extremely amount of jealousy kicking in since your laptop trumps my laptop and is on par if not better than my desktop, yes, it will definately be fine.

I played fallout 3 GOTY on a far, far superior system to those specs on my mates old system, which is now my spare with an x1650 pro radeon and that played it fine.

You will have no worries mate, and if your worried about the compatibility with the operating system, don't, I run windows 7 64bit on both my slightly inferior laptop and my main system and it runs fine on both.

Hope this is of help, any more questions, come back and ask us, there will always be someone with an answer, and welcome to the forum :)

tris

SteveT1138

Standard Member
That was quick :), Yes I was concerned about the compatability with Win 7 64 bit as I have been warned off games such as Mass Effect (1 not 2) and Metro 2033 as not working wich is a shame as I would like to try these (unless anyone knows any different that is).
I did wonder as I picked up a copy of Crysis to try out and was very impressed that it ran at 1200 X 900 with all options on high with no slowdown etc.

GMC79

Distinguished Member
Fallout 3 not really that demanding and will run at the laptops 1080p no problem. Good spec and shouldn't have much difficulty with many games at the moment.
If it does drop the reoulution.
Nearly got the M11x but decided wouldn't play that many games on it so cut budget in half and got Acer Ferrari One. Plays older games fine.

MintMouse

It's not about how demanding it is, the concern will be about how buggy Fallout 3 is. I couldn't get it to run on my desktop but would run fine on my laptop - both 64-bit Windows 7. Had the same problem with FO;NV on my desktop, however, I figured out what the problem was with New Vegas and I'd imagine the fix would work with FO3 too. Still experience crashes and sometimes it fails to launch.

I would say that it's quite possible that you'd experience some difficulties but it's likely that you'll be able overcome these problems and play it successfully.

nero0410

Distinguished Member
Lol I have played metro 2033 and the mass effect 2 demo on my laptop:
Core i3 @ 2.1ghz 4gb ram and gt 330m.
It runs metro dx10 on high settings smoothly, also runs mass effect 2 just fine on high settings also.
So all in all I think your laptop will run pretty much anything that'd on the market at this time and for some time to come. My laptop even runs lost planet 2 on high and mafia 2. Obviously not all masses out, but more than enough to compare with my desktop which is about the same as you lappy.
There a lost planet 2 bench you can try, and ill have the first mass effect soon but in sure that will be fine too.

Tris

That'd strange mint, I have never had a crash on any of the fallout on either laptop or desktop, each with win 7 64. Completed fo3 and getting there on new Vegas now since I waited for the patch before playing new Vegas properly.

Last edited:

eiren

Distinguished Member
I have tweaked my Fallout 3 on Win7 64 to make it more stable.

Turning off autosave is a good idea.

nero0410

Distinguished Member
Is Fallout 3 more demanding than Oblivion?

In my expierance no.

I think it is the same engine, but Oblivion has a lot of foliage and more effects due to the spells etc....

They both require about the same spec, but I find Fallout 3 to run smoother than Oblivion for some reason.

tris

SteveT1138

Standard Member
Well I picked up Fallout 3 GotY on Saturday. Disc one installed with no problems, but disc two would just spin in the drive and not do anything. A quick search on the net revealed that there can be a issue with this disc and to install in safe mode when using Windows 7. This I did and it worked a treat.
The game started with no problems and the settings had all defaulted to high - so off I went. Five mins later the game hung (music and sound were still playing but the screen had frozen). Once aagin off onto the net and this time I came across the fact that the game is unstable with more than a 2 core processor (despite the back of the case proclaiming that it is enhanced for multi core systems), well after editing the .ini file as directed the game so far seems to be running fine.

Marc

Distinguished Member
i've played Mass Effect on 7x64 just fine as well by the way, looks much nicer than the 360 version. I was occasionally getting a little flashing square appear on the screen for some reason but it worked fine aside from that.

nero0410

Distinguished Member
Well I picked up Fallout 3 GotY on Saturday. Disc one installed with no problems, but disc two would just spin in the drive and not do anything. A quick search on the net revealed that there can be a issue with this disc and to install in safe mode when using Windows 7. This I did and it worked a treat.
The game started with no problems and the settings had all defaulted to high - so off I went. Five mins later the game hung (music and sound were still playing but the screen had frozen). Once aagin off onto the net and this time I came across the fact that the game is unstable with more than a 2 core processor (despite the back of the case proclaiming that it is enhanced for multi core systems), well after editing the .ini file as directed the game so far seems to be running fine.

I simply opened up the second disc and installed each part manually I think :)

I'm running a AMD Phenom II X6 and an i3 on my laptop, and have yet to see the game hang or anyhitng. Must just only be with certain multicore's.

i've played Mass Effect on 7x64 just fine as well by the way, looks much nicer than the 360 version. I was occasionally getting a little flashing square appear on the screen for some reason but it worked fine aside from that.

Same here, looks great on pc :) Havent had any flashing square yet though

tris

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom