Fake SD cards - test yours now!

mark.carline

Having just purchased what looked like a 100% genuine 16Gb micro SD card on ebay and then discovering that it would only hold 1Gb of data I discovered that there is a really good utility that you can use to check if your SD card is genuine called "H2testw":

H2testw 1.4

Can I suggest that anyone who has purchased an SD card recently tests theirs.

Johnmcl7

Distinguished Member
It is a very handy little utility, a workmate bought a 256GB Sony USB memory stick which actually showed as 256GB in Windows and let you copy a large amount of files to it. Obviously reading them back was more tricky but he was convinced he still had around 16GB usable space, H2testw showed it was just 2GB and around ten times slower than a standard USB memory stick.

Unfortunately I just wouldn't buy a memory card or anything of that type of ebay as there's just too many fakes.

John

dave_bass5

Distinguished Member
Ive not heard of this app before. Its sounds like it can be quite useful for those who are penny pinching ;-)

I always test my cards for both speed and capacity even though i always buy from reputable sources. Never had a fake, yet.

Johnmcl7

Distinguished Member
It's relatively simple as it all it does is write the full capacity of the drive then read it back and tell you the average speed but it's the best application I've seen for testing memory devices. I've seen some people who have bought memory cards they've suspected to be fake but assumed they're getting something worthwhile anyway (I guess like buying designer clothing) but with memory devices it's not worth it at all. Any of the fakes I've seen are far slower than a standard device and very unreliable, apparently they tend to be produced using flash memory that has failed testing and from what I've seen of them that seems possible.

John

dave_bass5

Distinguished Member
Thats all i do really. Copy a load fo files that are just under what i expect to get no a card, read them back and keep an eye on the transfer speed.
I guess having one simple app to do this is a bit easier so ill give it a go at some point.

D

Deleted member 480461

There are far too many fake SD cards on eBay - its too difficult to tell between the real and fake now. You are better off just spending the little extra and buying from a more reputable online retailer TBH.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
Is it just Ebay you have to be wary of? I've never used Ebay and I can't see me doing so in the future.

SomeVorn

IIRC - there were fake Sandisk SD cards going around through reputable retailers a couple of years ago - they had the right packaging and looked identical to the real thing but put them side by side and there were subtle differences - we aren't talking super capacity - 4/8gb max and the only issue was that they weren't as reliable. So no, its not just through private sellers but I haven't read anything similar to those rumblings since.

D

Deleted member 480461

Ah, I thought it was just private sellers.
Thats pretty shocking that retailers are doing it, even if its unknowingly!

Johnmcl7

Distinguished Member
Some of the fakes are very difficult to tell apart visually from the genuine ones, you should be ok as long as you stick to a retailer that has a good reputation for selling memory cards and for any you do buy it's worth firing them through the test above just to make sure. The golden rule of 'if it's too good to be true, it probably is' very much applies particularly with Sandisk cards which are one of the big memory card brands plus they tend to have a bit of a price premium. If you see a card that's much cheaper than expected and/or much higher capacity then there's a good chance it's a fake.

John

ppavlov

Novice Member
i bought a 64gb sd card online and i've had a feeling it was fake so i ran the test on it and got this after running it for 2 hours
Warning: Only 63968 of 63969 MByte tested.
The media is likely to be defective.
7.8 GByte OK (16498231 sectors)
29.8 GByte DATA LOST (62624201 sectors)
Details:0 KByte overwritten (0 sectors)
0 KByte slightly changed (< 8 bit/sector, 0 sectors)
29.8 GByte corrupted (62624201 sectors)
0 KByte aliased memory (0 sectors)
First error at offset: 0x00000001f77c6e00
Expected: 0x00000001f77c6e00
Found: 0x5da2930289268688
H2testw version 1.3

I checked all the files on it and there are 62 GB of data.
What do you guys think?

ppavlov

Novice Member
i bought a 64gb sd card online and i've had a feeling it was fake so i ran the test on it and got this after running it for 2 hours
Warning: Only 63968 of 63969 MByte tested.
The media is likely to be defective.
7.8 GByte OK (16498231 sectors)
29.8 GByte DATA LOST (62624201 sectors)
Details:0 KByte overwritten (0 sectors)
0 KByte slightly changed (< 8 bit/sector, 0 sectors)
29.8 GByte corrupted (62624201 sectors)
0 KByte aliased memory (0 sectors)
First error at offset: 0x00000001f77c6e00
Expected: 0x00000001f77c6e00
Found: 0x5da2930289268688
H2testw version 1.3

I checked all the files on it and there are 62 GB of data.
What do you guys think?

The test is still running atm.

shotokan101

Banned
Last edited:

snerkler

Ive not heard of this app before. Its sounds like it can be quite useful for those who are penny pinching ;-)

I always test my cards for both speed and capacity even though i always buy from reputable sources. Never had a fake, yet.
What do you use to monitor transfer rates?

Dexy

The good thing about sandisk cards is that you can get the serial number off the actual card and send it into sandisk and they will tell you if it's fake or not. I've had a fake one from Amazon once.

snerkler

The good thing about sandisk cards is that you can get the serial number off the actual card and send it into sandisk and they will tell you if it's fake or not. I've had a fake one from Amazon once.
Sandisk required a photo from me, not just the serial number :smashin:

shotokan101

Banned
Why did they need a selfie ? :confused:

ParaNoiA

Thanks for the links guys, just used the above to find my 64GB sd Card is actually 7.2 GB, Thankfully they accepted my screen printout showing the real size as proof and issued me a refund.

ParaNoiA

I got a refund for my 64 GB SD card, but seller said I can keep it, does anyone know if its worth using as a 7.2 GB card, or is risky as the card wasnt real as such to start with, dont want to store stuff on it if its a high risk of vanishing.

shotokan101

Banned
Bin it IMO - or sell it on eBay :devil:

ParaNoiA

Cheers guys, was just gonna use it in my phone, as it only has a 2GB card in at the moment, but I do take pics of kids etc, so wouldnt want them to just vanish with no point of return, wasnt sure how it worked, or if it would hold a steady 7.2GB of data,

shotokan101

Banned
Don't risk it - seriously - memory cards are so cheap these days - PM me your address and I'll get you at least an 8 Gig card

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

AVForums Movies Podcast: 1st December 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Rumour: Samsung even closer to OLED TVs in 2022?
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio-Technica launches ATH-SQ1TW true wireless earphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on UK streaming services for December 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Best Projectors of 2021 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Steve Withers
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts