1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fake Gladiator Superbit

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by matt bellamy, May 6, 2005.

1. matt bellamy

matt bellamy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,

I bought Gladiator Superbit off eBay the other day for the seemingly bargain price of £12.50. The DVD just arrived and I'm sure whether it's a copy. The reasons I think it may be a copy are:

1. The box says region 2 but the disc has the region 1 logo
    2. The DVD case itself has slots for 2 DVD's and there is only 1 DVD (it's like the type of box you's buy from HMV but silver)
    3. The box has japaneese writing but the DVD menus are english
    4. It said DVD-9 on the seal which is dodgy (isn't it :confused: ??)
    5. Russell Crowe looks slightly dark on the front cover (a little bit like Lenny Henry :rolleyes: )

But on te other hand it has the outer card box which looks genuine and the disc is 7.8GB (not 4.7GB like most copies).

I wouldn't be too bothered but the guy I bought it from says it's a genuine multi-region Superbit disc and is accusing me of being ignorant. So, have I been conned and does the seller deserve a bitch slap?

Thanks

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    OK i have an official R2 gladiator super bit here in fornt of me on rear of silver case we have the R2 logo PAL UK barcode number 023940009877 on the Disc is a picture same as front cover but with superbit logo on LHS fading in an anticlock wise rotation R2 logo and CSB-32097 and VFC20021
    is your the same?
    oh and if i pop it in PC the sixe is 7.11 GB or 7,643,494,400 Bytes and has 1 video TS folder with 22 files in it.

3. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Never heard of a "genuine multi-region superbit" disk - I'm sure that your suspicions are correct.

Copies don't have to be DVD5 - if it's pressed in a factory (which some copies are) there's no reason for them to not be DVD9. I've had a pirate version of Star Wars which had a DTS soundtrack and was DVD9 - it was a pressed disk not a DVD-R.

4. Baron Von Doom

Baron Von Doom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    dvd 9 is duel layer dvd 5 is single layer. what colour is the bottom of the disc. recordable ones are usualy purple proper ones are usualy silver

5. matt bellamy

matt bellamy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. The DVD is 7.55GB and has 17 files in the video_ts folder. The disc has a different image than the front cover and it doesn't say superbit on the disc. Also, the disc doesn't have the DTS logo whereas the case does.

The bottom of the disc is silver and says DVD9 and UFO DV"DVD"007A around the inner rim.

6. Mr_Wistles

Mr_Wistles
    Suspended

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,949
    Sounds fake to me.

7. JBL 4645

JBL 4645
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it's fake...

Dodgy site it can be, I brought the THX demo disc for £10.00 and was thinking when I saw it oh my god this is going to stink, I was so surprised, to find it was WOW! The image was fantastic and the audio was as well top class.

In Dolby and dts 5.1 with no problems the split-surrounds on the WOW are lovley and the centre mix is very robust the stereo fronts, with all the panning going form side to side nice...

And for a copy, if it works don’t fix it…

But there can be some real McCoy’s out there on the Ebay site that are really poorly put together, so I have learned to use caution now when looking at DVD’s as for laserdiscs, I’m a lot more confident.

But hay…

….It’s only a movie…

Alfred Hitchcock.

8. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I have been buying and selling on ebay for quite a while.My advice is never buy brand new discs.They are now so many scammers about its ruining it for everybody else.For new dvds i always use reputable firms online.

9. JBL 4645

JBL 4645
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with you, it’s mad buying more for a second hand DVD neither I say any more no more DVD’s from the Ebay, the laserdiscs look all right…

My JBL 4645 sub bass…she is loud she is a mean sounding sub of a bitch…
    http://www.jmgkorea.com/image/cinemasolution/4645c.gif

She can take it she is the real McCoy THX approved and 600watts of slam kick ramble and depth too, and she goes down deep. 120dbc max but I like film and music at 115dbc on the JBL… :thumbsup: :cool: :smashin: :clap: :devil:

I can’t believe this is happing. All right. Uh…Am I clear, Lambert? I wanna get the hell outta of hear.

Alien 1979.

But hay…

….It’s only a movie…

Alfred Hitchcock.

10. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,408
    JBL 4645 is banned for going on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on about his bloomin JBL subwoofer and taking threads off topic.

11. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone who wants the Superbit version of Gladiator but can't see where to buy it can rent it off CD Wow, least i think they can as i have it in my online rental queue just to compare it to my region 1 edition and see if i can spot any differences on a large screen.

12. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,919
    If the DVD9 logo is holographic and the DTS banner is along the top of the case then there is no question that its a bootleg.

13. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,540
    About time! :smashin:

14. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned: