• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Fake Duo Cards :(

Batch

Prominent Member

DarkEntity

Prominent Member
What makes you think its a fake?

Batch

Prominent Member
It has 1959 mb free which i have heard some fakes have and apparently packaging sealed with round dots is fake whereas strips is genuine, i have dots.

Can anyone with a Sony Pro Duo Card tell me if there should be a hologram sticker on the back?

Thanks

Batch

DarkEntity

Prominent Member
Ok, yes the card will be 2 Gig on the label...but you will never EVER get 2gig in actual usable space.

Think about a PC Hard Disk, you buy a 20gig drive but dont get 20gig of usable space. its 1024kb in a mb do the maths. The file size is about rite. I wouldnt worry, if you got it from ebay you prob got it cheap anyway ;)

If you knew about possible fakes why on earth did you buy a Sony card, when the Sandisk ones are exactly the same and cheaper?

Papereyes

Standard Member
I had the same problem brought my card over the internet from Ebay

thought it was fake, so contacted sony 08458500107

sent it off to them and they confirmed it was fake.

surprisingly i then brought another 2gb card from hong kong and there packaging is in silver (compared to the gold packaging with my ebay card)

Batch

Prominent Member
Papereyes said:
I had the same problem brought my card over the internet from Ebay

thought it was fake, so contacted sony 08458500107

sent it off to them and they confirmed it was fake.

surprisingly i then brought another 2gb card from hong kong and there packaging is in silver (compared to the gold packaging with my ebay card)

What did you do with the fake?

martmiller

Established Member
Batch said:
What did you do with the fake?

Yeah, I am in the same boat, just realised I have bought a fake off ebay and was wondering what to do.

So it would be interesting to see what sony said / did.

Mart

Tomo1971

Banned
After reading this thread and the link supplied, I think I have a fake 2gb card too. Its showing 1959 free space, the lettering on the back is raised not embossed etc. Have mailed the seller offering him the chance of offering me a refund etc as it may be a genuine mistake (he may of bought in good faith) and will see what happens.

Yes, it does work, or at least I thought it did until I tried to copy over some ATRAC3 music files from the PC and it kept locking up on me.

Steve

Papereyes

Standard Member
for those of you who have similar fakes

I got my money back through the PayPal process..

I sent off my stick to SONY first (before raising a case on PayPal)
got the confirmation from SONY that it was a fake

then raised paypal process
seller agreed to provide refund as long as i returned the product (with Proof of posting)

got money back

However with hindsight if the seller agrees to giving you a refund you don't actually have to get the proof from sony. (although if the seller disagrees with you, you will then need to get proof of authenticity and then you have to send off your stick and get it back within the turnaround time).

breakersrevenge

Established Member

just slackin'

Established Member
breakersrevenge said:
The Postage cost is also fake!! £9.99 for posting a Duo card!!!

Cost me no more than £1.80 postage when I was selling them!
it's a way round the ebay fees normally. you don't pay fees on the postage so it makes sense to sell an item for a lower amount with higher postage.

most buyers are okay with that and base their maximum bid on a price + postage basis but the odd one leaves negative feedback complaining about the high postage cost.

i have thought about selling items that way in the past but it probably isn't worth it for the negative feedback.

T-Bone

Established Member
^ Very true - I charge my postage a small amount above cost to cover the packing cost, and to absorb some of the inevitable paypal/ebay fees. I

Its a legitimate way of reducing fees, but it really irritates some people, usually the new ebayers who feel ripped off. Some people do take it too far and I must admit alot of the time it completely puts me off purchasing from them!

rss

Established Member
bug ger, looks like I've been caught out by this too. Wondered why my 2GB card crashed when I put more than 1GB of files on it.

Oh well, time to start an "Item Significantly Not As Described" on eBay.

Repo

Established Member
Batch said:
It has 1959 mb free which i have heard some fakes have and apparently packaging sealed with round dots is fake whereas strips is genuine, i have dots.
Definately a fake if it has 1959mb free

DarkEntity said:
If you knew about possible fakes why on earth did you buy a Sony card, when the Sandisk ones are exactly the same and cheaper?
There are fake Sandisk ones too!

sjw said:
Do the cards work?
For a while and then they die. My fake Sony 2gb lasted about 4 writes. I suspect most sellers are hoping that the fakes ones last long enough for them to sell a load, get positive feedback in order to entice others to buy and then disappear before too many people complain.

T

tinlunlau

my friend supposedly got a fake Sony hi-speed MS Duo from China but then, we confirmed it's genuine. probably stolen goods as they were selling for a really cheap price. transferred 900mb in less than 3 minutes.

i'm still waiting for my MS Duo. it'll be a sandisk 2gb. can't wait to play around with it.

Gillsfan

Banned
I just bought a fake one. :eek:(

I guess I shouldve known, it was only £33 delivered for a 1gb version.

It still seems to do what it says on the tin, so I think I will stick with it though.

mikerblade

Established Member
The one thing that baffels me about people complaining about there fake cards on many forums is the fact that most start there post with " I bought this 2gb sony card for £50 and shock horror i think its a fake ", well of course it is thats why you paid £50 for it :rolleyes:.

I do feel for the folks that have bought them in good faith but before you go shopping off ebay surely its worth the 10mins online to get a feel for what an item is retailing for in the real world, something thats say £175 in the real world and theres 6 pages of them on ebay for £40 should ring a few bells.

what i would say about fakes is there seems to be good and bad ones, my 1959mb has been used and abused on a regular basis and right now is sitting in my PSP with 4mb free without ever having problems (waits for the god of sony to smite my card):)

sorry if this post comes across a bit harsh butthe best advice I ever had when shopping on ebay and the like was, if its too good to be true then its probably not.

KirkSi

Distinguished Member
Try here for good prices and a reputable company. Reprts of fakes has put me off buying from eBay, but prices of these cards are coming down so quickly (they're always bringing out a bigger card, look out for the 4gig next) that it's worth waiting a couple of months and buying from an online store.

robo989

Banned
Give it up! There's nothing wrong with fakes....

Whats the problem, they're 2\3 the price and work...

What do you want? They store ya data!!! I got 2 fake sonys and they seem to be doing the job fine, not had 1 problem in the last 4 months

robo989

Banned
yeah true, but I can only go by what I've experienced myself - and I haven't experienced anything "dodgy" about them at all...

I was kinda thinking that maybe all the problems are exaggerated, there's a hell of a lot of fakes out there, but are there really that many duff ones?

I dunno, could be, just my personal findings, ain't done any looking about just seen this whole "fake" thing and alot of people seem to be panicking like headless chicken.

kourosh

Distinguished Member
in the sony centre where i work we have just bought the prices down
1gb £54.99 and 2gb £109.99 they come with a 10y warrenty
the prices are coming down,but you do need to think if a guy has got 100's of duo's then something not right:smashin:

robo989

Banned
As long as they work for 12 months then your quids in with a fake. a 2gig card in september cost about £180-£200

now you can get a genuine sandisk (faster transfer rates - don't own one meself but that what they all say so will assume its true) for £70

can't be bothered to do the equations, but my advice for saving a few quid, is either wait or buy a fake. Can't seriously justify paying £110 for a genuine sony stick...

depends how big ya wallet is though I guess, I'm not saying your throwing money away getting one at all! Just personally I like to scrimp and save money even if I don't need to, its nice to get a bargain, its not nice to get a dodgy fake card, but if it works - well all is good.

If your not that tech savvy and will want to keep the card for a few years using it in full capacity for say work or something, then there's no way on earth I'd recommend buying a fake. most things on the psp are hardly mission critical, if its for a digital camera on the other hand then thats a little different.

- also if the only copy of something important you have is kept long term on any type of flash card - you want your head testing :)

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom