1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Faint discolouration FS76

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Tommo24, Mar 31, 2003.

1. Tommo24

Tommo24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I am very happy with my FS76 but it does have deflection problems across the top inch of the screen, mainly top left corner.

Also in this corner I have noticed a very slight discolouration (faint blue/purple/green) most noticeable when viewing a white image.

What is this discolouration called and how can I get rid of it? I have a House of Fraser 5 year warranty so should I just call an engineer out?

I am not too concerned about the deflection but I assume the only way to correct this is to enter the service menu.

Thanks for any advice offered.

Tom

2. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The discolouration is known as a "purity error" and is caused by a magnetic field (either from a local source or the earth!) it can usually be cured with degaussing. To initiate a full degauss, switch the TV of at the switch (not the remote) at night, when switched on in the morning a "thunk" will be heard which is the degaussing circuit doing its work. If this fails after 2/3 attempts it's best to call an engineer to carry out a "manual degauss" using a "degaussing wand".

The geometry error can only be solved with entry to the service menu.

:)

3. WSH

WSH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Mine has exactly the same stain in the top left corner. Looks like it may be the internal speaker since we both have it.

4. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    On my FX66 I have this stain on the bottom right, although I only notice it when I look for it i.e. it ain't that bad.

5. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Mine is the same... Very slight in top corners... I'd also put it down to the internal speakers... I had a similar problem with a previous FQ75 which had very poor magnetic shielding under the tube... I couldn't put anything on the shelves under the set..!

If you get an engineer out, they can fix compensating magnets to the tube, but in my experience this puts out the geometry... But as most sets have poor geometry in the top corners then it may be worth a try...

My advice is always buy a CRT TV with a good warranty from a reputable dealer, that way you can at least change it if you're not happy... I'd always pay the extra..!