Faint artifacts = rubbish scart leads?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by duckson, Dec 1, 2004.

1. duckson

duckson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    When playing my DVD player through the TV RGB scart in the following setup:-

TV AV1(RGB) --- Sky --- VCR --- DVD

I've noticed some very faint artifacts moving around, particulary visible on a black screen.
    Is this due to interference from the Sky box due to poor scart leads (they are standard no name affairs!)?
    So would good quality scart leads get rid of the artifacts?
    Would a scart RGB switching box also eliminate the problem or would i need good quality scart leads as well?

Thanks for any advice. :smashin:

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    If you are daisychaining everything into the one scart socket on the TV, try removing one link from the chain at a time to see if that rectifies the problem. It could be the presence of the VCR in the chain that is causing the problem.

I assume that you have more than one scart on the TV as you referred to it as AV1 thus implying that you had more.

Try connecting up the VCR to AV2 and keeping it out of the daisychain. As the VCR will not record in RGB it isn't necessary to keep it in the chain for that reason.

Even if you get rid of the ghosting there are normally improvemenets to be seen when upgrading from a freebie scart lead to something better, especially in the link from DVD player to TV

3. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    artifacts are a result of digital processing
    as far as I know, your SCART lead does no digital processing, so it can't produce or remove artifacts.

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Although the word "artifact" in the context of digital TV means an unwanted product of the encoding/decoding process, in a broader sense it can mean anything unwanted on the screen.

These sort of artifacts can be caused by crosstalk in poor quality scart cables, but I've also seen it on TV's and other video appliances where poor switching has allowed crosstalk between scart sockets. It manifests itself in the form of a ghost image (which is often negative) which is not locked in sync to the image being watched, so it can "float" over the picture. Poor quality scart leads can be replaced, but if it's a case of poor switching, you're stuck with it unless you either replace the product, or find another way to do the switching (like a cinema amp).

5. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    artifacts
    caused by digital compression/decompression, nothing you can do
    a smeary area on picture around moving object
    crosstalk
    caused by video loopback on pin 19 of cheap SCARTS (cut pin 19 off 1 end and pin 20 off the other end to remove)
    a faint duplicate image, or faint image from other source overlayed on picture
    ringing
    caused by shielding problems on cheap VGA cables, buy a shielded cable to remove (Belkin High Integrity Pro)
    a series of vertical lines noticable after text or hard edges on picture, gradually getting fainter

I have just listed the 3 most common problems and what you can do about them, all 3 are caused by entirely different reasons, and they cannot be lumped together under the term "artifacts" (unless you are a salesman for dixons/comet/currys) because they all have different causes and cures. Selecting the correct term when you discribe a problem often leads to the correct remedy.

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    I find that those people knowledgeable enough to select the correct term are generally knowledgeable enough to know the possible cures.

In this particular case duckson asked for advice which Nick UK and myself tried to offer whereas I cannot see your own contribution being of much help to the threadstarter at all.

7. duckson

duckson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Thanks guys :) I think my explanation mightof not been the best....i suppose with hindsight i should of called it ghosting. :blush:

After further consultation with people i know it appears the DVD will not be outputting to the TV in RGB, as a VCR or Sky box doesnt pass RGB apparently (so i'm watching DVD's in composite infact :rolleyes: ).
    I tried the DVD straight into the TV AV1 (so it will be RGB) and the problem disappears (also when i use an s-video lead in the AV2/S socket)...so obviously its either the VCR or Sky box or both!
    To solve this problem i intend to buy a a Scart switching box plus a couple of decent scart cables (for TV to switch and switch to DVD player) so i can use RGB from the DVD player with hopefully no ghosting problems.

Next questions are....

Are the switch boxes from Argos ok...some do RGB apparently (a mate has a manual £10 one and he says that is fine and at least 2 inputs are RGB)?
    Or where else should i look...i'd really like an auto switching box (again theres one at Argos but is it any good?!).
    I'd say a £40 limit tops on a switch box.

I intend to get a couple of Philex Thor scarts, seem to get good reports and they are only £18 from a number of places.

Any comments / help with the above please? :thumbsup:

8. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    most likely it's the VCR causing the ghosting/crosstalk, pull it out of the system.
    Maybe a Quintro switch is the way to go £60, to switch 4 x RGB and a composite signal. You really don't need expensive SCARTS if you are switching them.

9. duckson

duckson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Why wouldnt it be a good idea on better quality scarts if i'm switching? :confused:

Does a Sky Digi box pass through RGB?

10. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,046
    I had similar problems with the picture when I daisy chained a digibox, two DVD player and a DVD recorder to a TV. I solved the problem using a scart switchbox and connect the equipment to that. It was the scart socket one the the DVD players causing it.

It is a Joytech RGB AV Control Centre and cost me £40 last Xmas (comes in silver or black). It has been excellent and no more picture problems. It also has S Video, composite, stereo audio phono and digital audio connections.

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=ELEC&title=171036

11. bigtank

bigtank
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi
    had the same problem with my set-up
    changed one crap scart lead to a reasonable quality one and it cured my problem

12. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    I have my Sky Box daisychained to a DVD player and onwards to a Tivo before reaching the single RGB enabled scart socket on my TV and I have no problems with ghosting or any other type of video problem at all.

13. schmeegle

schmeegle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My setup is linked to a vivanco switcher and I get ghosting when watching DVD.
    Is there a way or removing pins 19 & 20 from a moulded plug?

14. Filbert

Filbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +195
    As mentioned, if using decent quality Scart cables, there's no reason why you should get ghosting. In your set-up the DVD player and Sky box can output RGB via Scart, so my recommendation would be to utilise this. As you only have one RGB capable Scart input on your TV, use a good quality Scart controller like the one from J.S Technology as sometimes using a poor quality switchbox can affect the picture just as badly as is currently the case. Under £50 and auto switching too!

The VCR only needs to be connected to the Sky box if you record off Sky onto the VCR, so a separate Scart cable between the Sky box's "VCR Scart" output to your VCR's Input Scart will do the trick. Finally a Scart cable from your VCR's output Scart to your TV's 2nd Scart Input (non-RGB) should do the trick.

Good luck!