Failing Mission 780se speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by mk, Jan 18, 2007.

1. mk

mk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi all,

Does anyone know if there is a common fault with the drive units in these speakers ...

4 of my 5 speakers have all failed where the drive unit stops working. Mission have replaced the units under the 5 year warranty but have said they know of no faults. This can't be just me as a search on ebay displayed other Mission 780s for sales quoting they had installed new drive units.

Any information grateful as I'm just curious really

2. balami

balami

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a pair of these in 2002. I don't use my system more than once a month.
    The first drive unit failed about three years later.
    The other speaker drive unit failed last week. When I took it in for repair at the (upmarket hi-fi store) place where I bought them, it was clear to me that they have had lots of these back for replacement over the years. Seems that there is a common fault. The replacement drive units are not expensive, and apparently don't have the same fault.

John
    Enfield, UK

3. claws

claws

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've also had a pair of 780's since 2002, within 6 months they were replaced under warrenty after the drivers failed - they also had quite a bit of liquid leaking from the front of the driver - looked like they were bleeding!

Mine have this week started to fail again I think...

After turning the amp on both speakers work on the teeters only, I have to turn the amp up to full volume for a few seconds and the drivers seem to 'free up' it's like they are siezed up, or there's some built up stickyness which needs to be freed up - once this frees of then they are fine.

Has anyone else experienced this?

4. mikes

mikes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +195
    Mission have an excellent support department and their replacement drivers reletively cheap. My 78DS drivers blew (my fault). £40 to replace two tweeters and a bass unit.

Undo a few screws and a few spade connectors. Up and and running in a few minutes.

They're somewhere near Huntingdon

5. daveybm

daveybm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    A lot of the 780 series had this problem. Originally, Mission used an Audax unit with a Keraform cone. These were the ones that failed and were replaced by an Aerogel-coned unit when Audax stopped making the original one.
    The SE versions of the 780 & 782 used a better tweeter and upgraded crossover components, but the same bass unit
    I had to replace mine last year, got the drivers from Mission cost about £70 including postage (10 min job with a soldering iron to fit)

Dave