Answered Failing Hard Drive

aslird

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today windows gave me a message that one of my hard drives is bout to fail. It had some bad sectors etc a few weeks ago, but I managed to restore them, but this could be the end of the poor fella. Had it about 7 years, so has had a good life.
I am a bit confused about what drive to replace it with - Red, Blue or Black? It is my backup drive, so used mainly for music, photos, the odd game or 2.

Black are high speed, don't think you need that.
Blue are for less intense use so probably best.
Red are for higher load e.g. a NAS that is getting accessed by more than one person so there is a lot of head movement.

I'v got two 3tb reds in my NAS which i use for backups and media files
as trollslayer says , go for the reds their designed for nas drives and been access all of the time .

It is to be used mainly for backup or sequential access such as music then a blue would do.
It's the seeking and head loads that affect hard drives most. Video is a good example of sequential access.

I picked up a blue for my spare PC storage drive, had considered a red but it's not on all the time or really used by more than one connection at a time (might be two at some point).

Main PC I stuck in two blacks when I built it but TBH they don't feel that much quicker in normal day to day use.

Similar experience here.
I have a red in my new PC, looking at doing a few things later in the year that will crunch quite a bit of data.

Could maybe look at different brands? I've always used Seagate barracuda drives and Ive never had any issues.

Picked up their 4tb Solid State Hybrid for £130 a couple of weeks ago for putting my games on. Seems good so far.

I used a lot of Seagate NAS grade drives for continuous video playback in a lab, one failed after being dropped on concrete a couple of times.
WD do seem to have the edge for long term reliability now but I think that choosing the best drive type is the most important thing.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom