Failed Recordings / Weather

Reaction score
Getting a really annoying problem - thats quite common I think, but I just wanted some advice please :thumbsup:

We get LOTS of 'Failed' recordings - most of which I would say are future recordings (Which fail due to 'Power Cuts' or something else as stupid).

Anyway, this seems to be worse whenever there is the slightest hint of rain - I'd appreciate it a bit more if it is a full blown typhoon, but the smallest change in weather sends the HD box into meltdown.

I've down the housekeeping/reboots/formats etc of the EPG - all the usual tips etc.

So basically, is this problem really common? Is it likely to be a dish realignment and most importantly I guess, if I call Sky about it, are they gonna charge me to come out and move the dish 2mm?

Oh, also, I have multiroom (normal Sky+ box) and whilst that has some problems in the worst weather, its generally ok and rarely fails to record anything.

Thanks for any help, its driving us up the wall! Bring back VHS :rotfl:

Getting a really annoying problem - thats quite common I think, but I just wanted some advice please :thumbsup:

We get LOTS of 'Failed' recordings - most of which I would say are future recordings (Which fail due to 'Power Cuts' or something else as stupid).

Anyway, this seems to be worse whenever there is the slightest hint of rain - I'd appreciate it a bit more if it is a full blown typhoon, but the smallest change in weather sends the HD box into meltdown.

I've down the housekeeping/reboots/formats etc of the EPG - all the usual tips etc.

So basically, is this problem really common? Is it likely to be a dish realignment and most importantly I guess, if I call Sky about it, are they gonna charge me to come out and move the dish 2mm?

Oh, also, I have multiroom (normal Sky+ box) and whilst that has some problems in the worst weather, its generally ok and rarely fails to record anything.

Thanks for any help, its driving us up the wall! Bring back VHS :rotfl:

I have had exactly the same problem along with lots of others.

I spoke to tech support at Sky the person I spoke to was very unhelpful and quite rude and I had to go through to their disconnections dept after telling them that I was in a Virgin Media area and I wanted to leave Sky.

I eventually got a sympathetic response after politely saying that I didn't think that the HD box was of merchantable quality and fit for the purpose that it was intended as it had broken down within 18 months.

I sounds like you have a problem with the power supply in you HD box.

Have a look at the very long thread.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=727185&page=12

I have had exactly this problem twice in the last 4 years. Every time the fix for me has been to get the local sky repair guy to tighten up my dish as it is on a tall chimney and fixed with a strap that loosens over time.

Thanks Alan - lemme get this straight, it could be a faulty PSU causing lots of the problems?!?! How odd....

Have you (or anyone) fitted one of these and did it fix the issues?

Thanks again, Paul

I have had exactly the same problem along with lots of others.

I spoke to tech support at Sky the person I spoke to was very unhelpful and quite rude and I had to go through to their disconnections dept after telling them that I was in a Virgin Media area and I wanted to leave Sky.

I eventually got a sympathetic response after politely saying that I didn't think that the HD box was of merchantable quality and fit for the purpose that it was intended as it had broken down within 18 months.

I sounds like you have a problem with the power supply in you HD box.

Have a look at the very long thread.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=727185&page=12

Problems that occur during rain especially light rain points to an alignment issue, faulty LNB or damaged cable.

The simple solution is to test your SKY+ on the other feeds, if the reception and recording are fine then that would indicate an issue with the LNB output or cable that is feeding the SKY+HD and not a box issue.

Hmmm... less easy to fix then. As the box is outside warranty, I guess this would mean a Sky call-out charge?

Are there independent engineers who fix these sorts of things, or does it all have to go through Sky?

Hmmm... less easy to fix then. As the box is outside warranty, I guess this would mean a Sky call-out charge?

Are there independent engineers who fix these sorts of things, or does it all have to go through Sky?

Well first swap the boxes over and see how you go, it's always satisfying if you can tell the CS rep exactly what the situation is.
An out of warranty call out is £65 and covers every aspect of parts and labour plus a 3 month warranty on any work done. Many people have got the call out free or half price by indicating they would cancel or simply got a receptive CS rep. No problem at all going to a third party but it'll cost you a lot more than £65 if anything need replacing, a call out alone would probably be significant unless you find a very helpful independent.

Problems that occur during rain especially light rain points to an alignment issue, faulty LNB or damaged cable.

The simple solution is to test your SKY+ on the other feeds, if the reception and recording are fine then that would indicate an issue with the LNB output or cable that is feeding the SKY+HD and not a box issue.

Sorry if I'm a bit fuzzy, got other probs today with BT Broadband and Indian call centres!

Are you suggesting moving the + box down to where the HD box is and trying the + box using the cables which go into the HD box? I assume as you suggest this, then this is viable?

Are you suggesting moving the + box down to where the HD box is and trying the + box using the cables which go into the HD box? I assume as you suggest this, then this is viable?

Yep, or the other way around.
The feeds are identical, any sat box can be connected to the LNB output from a dish.

The feeds are identical, any sat box can be connected to the LNB output from a dish. Just make sure the hard drives are spun down before cutting power and then remove the LNB connectors, not before:)

The feeds are identical, any sat box can be connected to the LNB output from a dish. Just make sure the hard drives are spun down before cutting power and then remove the LNB connectors, not before:)

I tried this on my system and the fault was still there on the HD box, had an engineer out yesterday and he was mystified, re aligned to the dish fitted another LNB that he said was defective and another reconditioned box which still had the same fault, he left saying that the only thing he could do was fit a new box.

Of course he said he didn't have one saying that if he didn't get back to me yesterday then I would need to contact Sky, yes you guessed, he didn't get back to me.

Re contacted Sky and another engineer is booked for tomorrow. I'll give them one more chance before I escalate it to the senior management.

As far as fitting the new power supply please click on that link it will take you to digital spy and loads of people who have fitted it and the problem has been fixed.

It is caused by low cost capacitors used in the manufacture of the box to keep the costs down.

If I had come across this before I went down "the complain to Sky" route then I would have bought one and fitted it.

Still .....

I'm going to try swapping the boxes over later today - but before I call anyone, which way would you say these symptoms are more likely to be fixed?

* 'Failed' Recordings of future progs (spesh in 'bad' weather)
* Loss of minor channels in light rain - most channels in heavy rain
* Box sometimes crashes/turns itself off when in middle of programs
* Fan is sometimes spinning after box is turned off

Picture quality is generally ok - i.e. dont really get blocks or breakups in any sort of weather - its normally all or nothing!

Thanks for all the help so far guys and I'll keep the thread updated if I get a fix to help other peeps! :thumbsup:

I tried this on my system and the fault was still there on the HD box, had an engineer out yesterday and he was mystified, re aligned to the dish fitted another LNB that he said was defective and another reconditioned box which still had the same fault, he left saying that the only thing he could do was fit a new box.

Of course he said he didn't have one saying that if he didn't get back to me yesterday then I would need to contact Sky, yes you guessed, he didn't get back to me.

Re contacted Sky and another engineer is booked for tomorrow. I'll give them one more chance before I escalate it to the senior management.

As far as fitting the new power supply please click on that link it will take you to digital spy and loads of people who have fitted it and the problem has been fixed.

It is caused by low cost capacitors used in the manufacture of the box to keep the costs down.

If I had come across this before I went down "the complain to Sky" route then I would have bought one and fitted it.

Still .....

Hi pboreham,

I had problems not long after installing a 2nd hand SkyHD box with 2nd signal going. Have tried changing PSU but new one did not improve the problem. This has got a lot worse recently with wet weather at weekend leading to no 1st signal either and since then, even in good weather, we are getting failed future recordings- a problem we never had before. Have since tried a sky+ box that has same problems re:signal so have bit the bullet and gone for a Sky call out at 65quid due Friday. The dish is on a chimney so I guess its likely it could have moved or being five odd years old might need things replacing.

Strange thing to me is that when I do have signal its seems so strong on the signal test option. Then goes...
I've got a 1TB drive in my SkyHD box so i'm not letting them swap that one when they come!

not to mention the worse problem... it always seems to be that my wife's planner choices like Corrie or Desperate Housewives fail recording while my Sky Sports choices seem , to her, to survive.... makes the 65 pounds to solve the problem cheap!

I've got a 1TB drive in my SkyHD box so i'm not letting them swap that one when they come!

The £65 charge does not cover a replacement STB without taking the faulty one away, that is then repaired and enters the refurb supply chain.
Given that you say you have had problems with reception using a SKY+ then it points to dish/lnb and cabling not STB just be aware that if you know the problem is with the STB then remove your hard drive and put the old one back:)

thanks for the advice, it's not just the new 1TB drive i've put in but also the new PSU. I'd really like to keep my box. is it likely that they will initally try just swapping over the box even though i'm confident mine is not faulty?

thanks for the advice, it's not just the new 1TB drive i've put in but also the new PSU. I'd really like to keep my box. is it likely that they will initally try just swapping over the box even though i'm confident mine is not faulty?

I would say it depends upon the type of installer you get and there have reports of some very shoddy practices and just swapping a box (a quick test and yeah thats fine) and away he goes in 5 minutes job done and well a month later when bad weather strikes it could be a different problem.

I would make sure he understands that the reception issues have been on multiple receivers and hopefully if he slaps a test meter on and tests a number of frequencies he will see a problem even in fine weather or perhaps some visible damage (worn sealant/tape on the LNB etc).

Thanks for info - think I'm gonna tough it out. We are moving in a few months, so seems silly to pay £65 to move the dish 1mm for that time.

Might go cable if the next area has it!

And, uncannily, you are spot on about who's recordings fail! Every single baseball show records, but try to Sky+ one of her cheesy american crime shows, soaps, or programs about children with disabilities, the box refuses.

Its like its got a mind of its own :rotfl:

Hi pboreham,

I had problems not long after installing a 2nd hand SkyHD box with 2nd signal going. Have tried changing PSU but new one did not improve the problem. This has got a lot worse recently with wet weather at weekend leading to no 1st signal either and since then, even in good weather, we are getting failed future recordings- a problem we never had before. Have since tried a sky+ box that has same problems re:signal so have bit the bullet and gone for a Sky call out at 65quid due Friday. The dish is on a chimney so I guess its likely it could have moved or being five odd years old might need things replacing.

Strange thing to me is that when I do have signal its seems so strong on the signal test option. Then goes...

all fixed in 10mins.
Checked signal strength on connection at back of the box. Didn't check the HD box at all.
Went on roof to check. Said 2nd input was only finding 1 of 4 transponders. Replaced 'weathered' LNB.

Now virtually perfect signal strength/quality on both inputs. Well worth it to get it sorted.

- Careful though, symptons I had were very similar to the PSU issue talked about on other threads. The new PSU didn't do the trick for me.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom