1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Failed Recording

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Angel1403, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Angel1403

Angel1403
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry if this is a stupid question :)

However, when you use the EPG to set something in the future eg next day to be recorded, do you need to leave the box on as opossed to in stand by?

I have had 2 failed recording errors while trying to record some Sky One programmes in this manner. The programme Stargate Atlantis did not record. In the planner it said Failed!

Cheers,

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    It doesn't really matter. I usually turn my box to standby, just in case there is a programme "clash" (i.e. you have 2 programmes set to record at the same time on two different channels, and the box is tuned to a third channel). If the box is on standby, that doesn't happen.

3. himpressive

himpressive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    No, you do not have to leave the box on! Sky+ (I'm assuming you do have sky+?) automatically records on schedule with the unit on standby. Two reasons for your failed recordings (which I have personally experienced) may be:
    1) Recording clash: you may have inadvertently left the unit on one channel, while "booking" two recording schedules that are running at the same time, on 2 other channels, which will lead to a "failed recording" since sky+ only has 2 tuners". ;)
    2) The other reason I had instances of failed recordings was when I'd just recently got connected to sky+ and had a fragmentation in my hard drive from several "record and delete" cycles. I called sky, and the technician took me thru a process called "house-keeping" which I think involved the "reformatting" of the hard drive, which of course meant I lost all my recorded programmes" :( , but the problem has not reccurred since then :clap:
    Hope that helps...

4. nostro1

nostro1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Funny...... I failed to record Star Gate Altantis too.
    Could be sceptical here but do you think that is why Sky always repeat the blockbuster series at the weekend, as they know the Sky+ system is rubbish...

5. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I've had failed recordings at times of really bad weather,when the receiver has lost the signal,due to heavy rain.

6. Angel1403

Angel1403
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks to everyone for there help :)

7. rich tee

rich tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'd recommend ditching it and buying a DVD recorder instead. That's what I decided to do after reading so much bad press on here about SKY+.

The've come down in price so much now.

Rich Tee.

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

No it's because there are nearly 7million subscribers with only a single SKY digibox and SKY lose viewers and therefore ad revenue/status when those people chose to watch another digital channel.

There used to be a time I missed monday night footy thanks to SKY only buying single screening broadcast rights of their big US imports, thankfully they now invest more money into multipule screening rights to ensure that everyone who does not wish to buy SKY+ also has more choice and flexibilty in their viewing.

9. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Of course there is just as much bad press about the reliability of the standard digibox, the quality of installations and the performance of the software which is going to be used to feed the DVD recorder:)

10. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I have a DVD recorder, and it gets used very occasionally to archive stuff from the Sky+ box. If I had to lose one of the boxes, I would say without hesitation that it would be the DVD recorder that I would lose. No competition !

You have to realise that for every person whinging on here about their box, there's another 100 that are very satisfied, including me. This is not to say that my Sky+ box is 100% perfect - it's a computer - that's what they do, and the computer that I'm typing this on has already "glitched" 3 times this morning.