1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FAiled Mother board?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by sapper, Oct 24, 2005.

1. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Having had a failed hard drive last week, and spent the week end reinstallong my office PC, I came home to find my media box (runing MCE 2005) with both LED's on permament send.

After several minutes... nothing happened, so I rebooted the PC.

The power light fals to come on, but the hard drive light is on permemently.

There do seem to be no error messages via the speaker.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Its an Asus motherboard A7n8X-E about 15-16 months old

Adrian

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried resetting CMOS? Can you access the BIOS screen?

:smoke:

3. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Thank you for a quick response....

found the manual and did what you asked, reset the CMOS by removing the battery and changing the pins round.

reconnected the power and still no life in the box

There is no beeps, or any indication of life, yet alone any messages on the display.

Any sugggestions?

I guess I need to dismantle the system and start with a bare bones system, basic hard drive, remove the arrray etc. But the utter silence worries me.

And that the green LED case does not come on, rather the yellow hard drive LED.

There seems to be no reference to this in the manual

Adrian

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh dear, sounds serious then :( .

A couple of things, you might be lucky yet:

Is the PSU fan spinning up? If so, any LEDs illuminated on the mainboard?
    You could check that the power button cable/plug/pins are properly connected to the mainboard.

Fingers crossed it's just the PSU but IMX, dying PSUs often take other components with them, especially HDDs :eek: .

Best of luck with it :thumbsup: .

:smoke:

5. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    opps I forgot to mention,

the green LED onthe motherboard is a on, as are the fans both CPU and the main compatment fan

When I switch it on with a pair of headphones tothe line out for the Ascus beeps or voice error messages I get nothing but static, which stops when the motherboard is switched off.

I have just ordered a new motherboard etc to replace, rebuild an old AMD 1900XP asus mother board.

Looks as ifI will ahve to use it on this newer machine, and do yet another re install.

Wheres the nearest abacus supplier :)

Its a relatively new AMD 3000XP Socket A processor. What mother board should i repalce it with, hopefully i can reuse the memory, reusing the processor would be good together with its substantial CPU Fan. This motherboard is still available at ebuyer for ~£50.00 Then I presuem I would not need to do a re-install?

Adrian

6. deksawyer

deksawyer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Don't know if this is against forum rules, but I have an almost new top of the range MSI K7N2 Delta2 Platinum for sale.

I'll stick it in the for sale forum with pics/details etc asap and if you're interested we can work it out there........

D.