Failed driving again, how long did it take you

How many driving tests before you passed?

• 1 Test

Votes: 89 67.4%
  • 2 Tests

Votes: 23 17.4%
  • 3 Tests

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • 4+ Tests

Votes: 11 8.3%

• Total voters

Chox1988

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just had my second driving test and failed it for another stupid reason, this is getting ridiculous, my driving is pretty damn good but they keep picking faults- i know thats what their there to do but c'mon for being in the right hand lane down a dual carriageway for too long when i was turning right at the upcoming roundabout :mad: . I took it after 19 hours which is keeping costs down but my driving is as good as anyones.

So how many tests did you all take and how many hours of driving before you decided to take it?

I could only manage to fit in 1 hour of driving per week, so it took me about 9 months until I felt ready to attempt a test.

I passed first time and got 100% on my theory test, so I was very chuffed with myself. :D

I really didn't think I would pass, so didn't get my instructor a thankyou present which left me feeling a bit guilty afterwards.

I was the last of 5 mates to sit my test and they had all passed first so failure was not an option, I couldn't live down the slagging they would have given me.

Liam

Just had my second driving test and failed it for another stupid reason, this is getting ridiculous, my driving is pretty damn good but they keep picking faults- i know thats what their there to do but c'mon for being in the right hand lane down a dual carriageway for too long when i was turning right at the upcoming roundabout :mad: . I took it after 19 hours which is keeping costs down but my driving is as good as anyones.

So how many tests did you all take and how many hours of driving before you decided to take it?

Sorry mate, you're wrong. Check out the first rule of the highway code.
Unless they've re-written it, it is "keep to the left".
I've followed some muppets doing like 35 in a 40 in the outside lane and it's so annoying.
I passed my test after 3 hours tuition :smashin:
I had been driving for at least 10 years, though :rolleyes:
Not a route I'd recommend, I'd got at least a grand in fines :(

Sorry mate, you're wrong. Check out the first rule of the highway code.
Unless they've re-written it, it is "keep to the left".
:(

Oh i know that, its just what is 'too long', i wasn't there for all that long, damn grumpy examiner, alas another one is on the cards, only annoyance is the wait- wouldn't mind doing it tomorrow if i could.

"Too long" is anything more than is necessary, simple.

Never mind mate, the harder it is to attain, the better the reward.
You don't get many feelings of elation in your lifetime, but passing the test is one of them :smashin:
Good luck for next time :thumbsup:

I took me two attempts because I took the test in Australia and failed the first time because i misunderstood one of their more peculiar rules. No hardship though I retook the test a week later and passed with flying colours.

i had two 1 hour lessons and past first time (motorbike aswell):cool:(this bit is true)

i've never had an accident.....but i've seen thousands :D

Had 13 hours of driving lessons and passed first time in 1989....when I was 17.:clap:

11 lessons and passed first time in 1992, i think!

I passed 1st time after 8 lessons.....first time around :devil:

But after picking up some bad habits, such as being able to drive a car etc, it took me 4 goes to pass the second time around :rolleyes:

Too fast
Too slow
Too fast
Jackpot! :thumbsup:

When you do get your license mate....... watch out for them coppers. :suicide:

:D

I voted 4+, but then I've passed twice over so I'm lots cooler than most of you.

I remember this girl I used to work with 25 years ago in London. She failed 8 times for various reasons, most memorably, when the examiner, said to her "when I hit this clipboard on the dashboard, I want you to stop as if in an emergency". That was OK, but as she was driving along in preparation for the signal, she had half an eye on his clipboard. Just as he had started to raise it, she slammed on the brakes, but he wasn't ready and hadn't braced himself.... he subsequently hit his head on the windscreen during the braking manoevre, gashed his head and had to go to the hospital, in the process, abandoning then test.

On another occasion, she had completed the practical driving stage, when the examiner told her to pull over and park the car. She apparently did that without fuss and he proceeded to ask her some questions from the Highway Code... About the fourth question, he asked "give me an example of a sign you would expect to see in the countryside", to which she replied "get your fresh farm eggs here"...:rotfl: :rotfl:

That is absolutely true! :eek:

Had 13 hours of driving lessons and passed first time in 1989....when I was 17.:clap:
ditto for me :) - 17 years ago when I was 17 .... apart from the number of lessons... I had about 20 hours ;)

- I was a very nervous learner, possibly because my instructor was quite crap and grumpy, but enjoyed the test, and as soon as I passed was pretty calm and confident behind the wheel

Rigid Mic passed his driving test, siting in the passenger seat with his hand firmly on the gear stick. turns out the driver was not an instructor, just some guy who wanted a free hand job:confused:

I failed my theory test first time thanks to the joy that is the 'Hazard perception' test, it was devastating, coming from a family of four brothers who passed everything first time. Luckily I passed my practical test first time with only two minors, after about 5 months of hourly lessons a week. I must say it was one of the most nerve racking experiences of my life, I didn't sleep at all the night before.

I passed my test with the first time but I had to bribe the teacher and the 2 inspectors sitting at the back. The test took like 2 minutes to finish:D . By the way that wasn't in England.

First time and i had to pass first time as my dad is a driving instructor and if i failed i would of been slaged of badly.

Anyway dont worry just do it again as from my dads experiance the examiners are a lot more critical on good drivers and more easy on poorer drivers reason being if they fail a good driver they are more likley to come baxk and pay for another test. But most of them wouldn't know a good driver if they bit them on the arse.

I don't drive, failed my test at 17 ( fairly minor my instructor got the hump at the tester as he felt it didn't warrant a fail). then off to college for 4 years so no money for car and no time, then into work for the next 11 years and no time again and the missus gets car sick if she doesn't do the driving and having a car in central london is a liability anyway.

I'll do it some day ...probably need to buy a flash motor first to give me the incentive.

Passed both bike and car test first time in ...... hell if I remember that long ago :rotfl: . My car test was sureal. I was building a powerstation in deepest darkest Wales at the time and for the whole of the test passed maybe three other cars. Hate driving now with a passion.

It took me 6 tests to pass, the first test was understandable as after i felt as if I wasnt ready, the next one was similar but a bit better. Then I started again with another instructor after a break of a year or so as I went to university, the third test i failed and felt hopeless and thought how long is this going to take and what the hell do I have to do to pass! My driving instructor was a bit of a cow and said she was busy when I wanted to book more lessons, and I wasn't that comfortable with her anyway. So I decided to try another instructor and he was great. After a few lessons he just kept on telling me my driving was perfect and there wasn't really much he could teach me, doing manouvres was pointless etc as I could do them, I was checking my mirrors correctly and so on. However the next two tests I failed and I was gutted as there were only 4 faults on them, one of those apparently serious though. The next test I passed with 6 faults. It was a bit of a rollercoaster with so much dissapointment and thinking what does it take to get a licence but you will get one eventually, just have the attitude that you WILL get one whatever it takes, however many tests etc. Money was an issue with me as it cost a lot but it would have cost more if I had tried to take it later in life I would imagine, as the tests have just got harder and harder...

Anyway i'll shut up now, good luck with it all though!

Did it in 15 days after my 17th birthday and passed first time.

Its all about luck on the day and what instructor you get.

Your get there - my mate took 5 times before he passed mainly failed due to not be aware of what was around him.

Good luck!

Dal

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom