1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Failed burn on Panasonic

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Nelviticus, Oct 30, 2004.

1. Nelviticus

Nelviticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Has anyone had a failed DVD burn on a Panasonic recorder? I was just wondering what they're supposed to do because mine (an E95) does something very strange. It immediately resets itself and goes into a longer than normal self-check, then comes up with a message saying that burning failed.

I'm hoping that this is what it's supposed to do, because otherwise my machine is on the blink!

I had been using Datawrite Red V2 with no problems. When I ran out of those I switched to Datawrite Red V3 and the first two I have tried have failed as described above. I also tried a BulkPaq Orange Generation 4 and it did the same thing. However I've just tried a RAM disc and it worked fine, so if it is faulty then it's not completely faulty.

Any idea whether I should be worried? Any reccommendations for blanks that work well with Panasonics would be welcome.

Regards

Nelviticus

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,214
    That sounds fairly normal - sometimes the Recorder will bring up a message saying it has failed to burn and then lets you continue whereas other times it self-checks. I suppose how much it dislikes the media :)

Personnally I stick to branded media: JVC, TDK, Panasonic, Pioneer, Sony, Verbatim, Maxell, HP etc etc as I find this is always universally compatible and tends to have better longevity prospects. DVD-Rs are so cheap now there isn't much excuse for not using good quality media.

3. Nelviticus

Nelviticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Phew! Well thanks for the reply. It's a bit strange that the V3 discs fail yet the V2 ones were fine, but there you go. You're right about branded media too - I'm so used to looking for bargains that I tend to forget that in some cases I'm only saving myself a few pence.

I'm off to buy some decent blanks!

Regards

Nelviticus

4. Mar©

Mar©

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,some time ago I bought Bulkpaq DVD-R: these were the absoluterly crap !
    Didn't work with my Plextor PX-708A, not as DVD, not as musicCD, not as data CD, not as Data DVD.....nothing worked !!!
    Now I buy TDK-DVD's or Emtec DVD',s.
    No problems with these.

5. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,758
    Which brand DVD-RAM would you recommend and where do you get them from ?

6. sweat100

sweat100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also have the same experience as you. For me, in the past i used some kind of no brand dvd(cyber dvd) and do high speed dub and the player keeps reseting itself. Thought the panny was spoilt. So this time round i used better media based Tayio Yuden dyes. It works very well. For the cheap disc, i think it can only do real time recording or dubbing. The Panny is quite "choosy" about media.

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,214
    As most DVD-RAM disks are sourced from either Panasonic or Maxell the actual brand you buy isn't such as issue - that said if you go for uncaddied disks though it's worth paying for a branded disk as it will be protectively coated. I personnally use Panasonic disks - which I normally pickup from the Panasonic E-Shop. I also have used DVD And Media for Maxell DVD-RAMs before with no complaints.