Fail safe Yorkshire Puds (how to make them).

Thug

Reaction score
We all have our own recipes, but here is mine...

How to make perfect Yorkshire puds every time. A VERY easy failsafe recipe that WILL work each and every time.

1. Using muffin tins (large or small). Put a small amount of duck/goose fat in each and put them into an oven set at its highest temp (mine goes to about 300 deg).
Put them on the middle or lowest shelf (or both if doing 2 lots).

2. Get 3 equal/identical sized cups. In the first cup put in 2 or 3 eggs. See where they come up to in the cup (how much they fill it). In the second cup put plain (must be plain) flour in to the same height as the eggs. In the third cup put in milk (I use semi) again to exactly the same height.
In other words make them all the same quantity. It's the eggs that determine the amount of flour and milk. If the eggs come to 2 inches up the cup then the milk and flour comes to 2 inches deep too.

20604306_10154741296126524_1944125072986576519_n.jpg

3. Put all 3 into a jug (put the eggs or milk in first or the flour will need scraping from the corners). Whisk until creamy smooth and all mixed in. Or what I prefer is to put all the ingredients into a sport protein bottle (with the mixing spring ball in) and shake it like mad for a couple of mins.

4. When the oven is at temp (about 10 mins) turn it down to about 250 deg. Then open the door and pour the mix in about 1/2 -2/3 full into each well. Do this quickly and close the door as soon as you can.

20638835_10154741296296524_4320344918767333323_n.jpg

5. Watch them cook and rise, and they should be done in about 15 mins. DO NOT open the door until they are brown.

20604445_10154741296381524_8343635786618686090_n.jpg

20604262_10154741296361524_3930368893786203840_n.jpg

I promise these will be perfect.
Sometimes it's better to make the mixture the night before and keep it in the fridge.
You could use frylight instead of fat but they stick a little and look more like buns than yorks (like the ones on the bottom shelf in my photo), but still taste amazing.

Last edited:
We all have our own recipes, but here is mine...

How to make perfect Yorkshire puds every time. A VERY easy failsafe recipe that WILL work each and every time.

1. Using muffin tins (large or small). Put a small amount of duck/goose fat in each and put them into an oven set at its highest temp (mine goes to about 300 deg).
Put them on the middle or lowest shelf (or both if doing 2 lots).

2. Get 3 equal/identical sized cups. In the first cup put in 2 or 3 eggs. See where they come up to in the cup (how much they fill it). In the second cup put plain (must be plain) flour in to the same height as the eggs. In the third cup put in milk (I use semi) again to exactly the same height.
In other words make them all the same quantity. It's the eggs that determine the amount of flour and milk.
If the eggs come to 2 inches up the cup then the milk and flour comes to 2 inches deep too.

+1

I saw Jamie Oliver use this method a number of years ago and it's never failed me. I usually prep the batter the night before and let it sit in the fridge - just gives me less to think about and do on the day of cooking and eating.

That is something similar to how I do it but I use 2 squirts of one cal olive oil in each muffin compartment.

Your oven is cleaner than mine :laugh:.

I use a wife, perfect every time ;). I on the other hand made a right pigs ear last week from an online recipe, I'll try yours next time.

Thanks...
I've only tried once and epically failed, so now I bottle it and use Aunt Bessie's frozen ones, which are great but it bugs me as it's one of the very few processed foods I buy these days.
Next time I'll give your method a go.

(Edit: your oven's cleaner than mine, too.. :( )

Mine is fairly similar but with a pinch of salt and pepper too.

Do you find that sometimes they come out of the muffin tins upside down? I.e. curve upwards?

Another trick I read was 5 mins or so near the end open the oven to let any steam out, they won't sink by this time but it helps to crisp them a bit better.

Mine is fairly similar but with a pinch of salt and pepper too.

Do you find that sometimes they come out of the muffin tins upside down? I.e. curve upwards?

Another trick I read was 5 mins or so near the end open the oven to let any steam out, they won't sink by this time but it helps to crisp them a bit better.
Yeah sometimes put S&P in there, some also say about putting a little baking soda in there too, but never seen the point really.
I have had a few turn out various strange shapes, but that's the beauty of them.

I use James Martins recipe usually found on the BBC good food website. Once the mix is made it needs a minimum of 30 minutes in the fridge. Use a metal tin to cook them in.

That's because the kitchen was only done 8 months ago.
I do like having 2 ovens though.

15741065_10154074113461524_3709635057000396275_n.jpg
I'm thinking of going 2 ovens like that. My Sis in law has done the same. It's so much better to have them at that height aswell. We have a gas hob electric oven range thing that came with the house and I hate it. I hate gas hobs. Much prefer induction that we used to have.

I'm thinking of going 2 ovens like that. My Sis in law has done the same. It's so much better to have them at that height aswell. We have a gas hob electric oven range thing that came with the house and I hate it. I hate gas hobs. Much prefer induction that we used to have.
2 ovens is a great idea. I hated trying to do things with just one.
The first time I used these was Christmas lunch last year.

I don't mind the induction hob as its instant and warms thing up in no time at all and very easy to clean, where I do prefer the controllability of gas more though.

not a fan of the muffin shapped yorkies, mine have to look like little bowls, my secret recipe is written down as it only gets used a few times a year, I always add a splash of Miller (other brands of beer/lager are available) :)

As per previously mentioned James Martin recipe. Chilled in the fridge for a couple of hours before cooking in very hot lard in a silicone muffin 'tin'.
36d2ad3b165663abf9b5d4dbaf9fd81a.jpg
e3eab7776c34a5d8cf189b41537bf58b.jpg

I tried for ages to get decent yorkies and failed every time.

What worked for me was getting a decent good quality tin* to cook them in....work every time now.

*Heavy thick Tin seems better with heat retention etc

I tried for ages to get decent yorkies and failed every time.

What worked for me was getting a decent good quality tin* to cook them in....work every time now.

*Heavy thick Tin seems better with heat retention etc
Good point actually.
I have only ever bought good quality tins/pans etc so took it for granted.

I'm using a silicone muffin tin. And still getting good results. I put a slightly larger than a cm cube of lard in and get it nice and hot before adding mix.

Always used even quantities of everything
Learnt in the navy as a chef 30 years ago still works today :)

IMG_0035.jpg

Don't think I've ever had any issues cooking Yorkshires (or toad in the hole).
Main problem you can get is putting too much sunflower oil in to start and the bottoms are oily and soggy. Also need to be a decent temperature (210C fan) and cook until nice and brown on top.

Think I just use the BBC Good Food one.

Personally I wouldn't use a silicone tin, proper thick metal tin so it gets properly hot

The OH is on a diet so had to change my recipe slightly.
I now don't use oil/fat, i use a pastry brush and load it with coconut oil and brush the tins with it.
To be honest, not noticed any difference in them, so will keep this method going in the future.
It does smoke more and smell a little, but cant taste any difference.

I guess you could do the same with duck fat, meaning you will use less.

I now don't use oil/fat, i use a pastry brush and load it with coconut oil
Coconut oil is oil o_O

You could brush any oil/fat though given you'd normally preheat the tin in the oven it'll all be at the bottom at the start anyway.

Agree with others on equal volumes of flour, milk and eggs. Have seen some who say to put a drop of vinegar in to help stabalise them but never seen any effect in taste or structure when I've tried it. Similarly some say to use 50/50 milk and water.

Sometimes put some dried herbs through the mix and allow it to stand to infuse

Coconut oil is oil o_O

You could brush any oil/fat though given you'd normally preheat the tin in the oven it'll all be at the bottom at the start anyway.

Agree with others on equal volumes of flour, milk and eggs. Have seen some who say to put a drop of vinegar in to help stabalise them but never seen any effect in taste or structure when I've tried it. Similarly some say to use 50/50 milk and water.

Sometimes put some dried herbs through the mix and allow it to stand to infuse

Yeah I knew that when I wrote it but figured people would realise I meant oil in a liquid form.
Yes you could brush any oil but some are better than others and coconut oils is supposed to be better than most for people being careful of what they eat.

I have also heard some say I little baking powder/soda in the mix too but I have never really seen the need.

image.jpeg
Wow thanks mr thug or just thug?i gave up trying years ago to make yorkshires but tried yours recipe the other day and was well impressed.
My other half is a cook in a care home I told her about this thread and she rang me from work this afternoon saying everybody was impressed with her puds so cheers mate.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom