Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Fail Fail Fail Sky +

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by nostro1, Jan 12, 2005.

1. nostro1

nostro1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well here I am on my 5th Sky + box with 2 days of warranty left to go and suddenly I am getting Failed recordings nearly everyday.
    So I have phoned Sky just to be advised (as seen somewhere on this forum)
    "This is a technical fault and our engineers are looking at it, there is nothing wrong with your box and you are not alone"
    Unquote

Am I getting paranoid in the fact I only have a couple of days left....perhaps so.
    Oh if anyone has had their box changed for yet another recon, you do actually get a 90 day warranty, but you need to chase them on this as they do not willingly give this one out.

Was going to buy a 160gb Maxtor HD to sort it out, but now I read that 7200rpm discs get hot and you can only format them once, without taking the Sky box and you beloved PC apart to breath life back into it.

I may have to bite the bullet and buy a SKY160+ box instead, anyone got one and have any feedback, (good or bad either will do)
    Thanks

2. KW1816

KW1816

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Not being funny, but if you're on your 5th Sky + I would think:

a: You're very VERY unlucky
    b: The problem is with the dish/cable
    c: There's something else going on like a hot enviroment or lots of dust etc.

If the answer is a: then don't bother with the lottery this week :D

It may be b: It's always easier for the 'engineer' to swap a box than get the ladders out, when I had mine installed the Sky bloke wanted to put the dish on the front of the house, about 10ft off the ground. I asked him to put it high up on the side of the house which was met with 'But I'll have to get the big ladders out for that' :rolleyes:

That leaves c: Is there plenty of air moving around the box or is it stuck in a cabinet ? How warm is the air around it ? Lot's of dust/smoke around ?

My V1 box is still going strong and has only had the odd hiccup.
    Good luck !!

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Unless SKY confirm there is a software fault with your particular model and give you a timescale for the fix then you should be getting compensated for loss of service, the software belongs to SKY and as such you are paying for something that isn't working.

My guess is that they are fobbing you off, if you reported a fault within the warranty period and were told a fix was on the way and you contiuned to have problems then I suspect that SKY would still be liable as the procedure was started within the warranty period.

4. alona10

alona10
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all
    I had the new 160 sky+ box for 6 weeks when it stuck on standby. Sky came 2 day and replaced the box, but all the recorded programs i had are gone. I maybe need a dvdr to backup my sky+ box now.

5. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +882
    Nostro - you have made them aware of the problem within the warrenty period then it is not an issue - they cannot claim it is out of warrenty because it has taken them a length of time to resolve the issue. If that was the case you would only effectively get an 11 month (or less) warrenty on items as there are enough companies out there that can fob customers off for at least a month before actually repairing/replacing faulty goods

6. spook

spook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    nostro1, yes I also have noticed an increase in failed recordings lately,

last week for an experiment I only used the manual recording settings for a good 40 recordings or so, and it worked flawlessly all week long, when I went back to using the EPG after this then the failed recordings returned.

I have noticed that the EPG goes a little wonkey from time to time (ie there is NO program data at all for a couple of minutes!), so I guess that if this happens when a recording is in progress then the recorder doesn't know what it's doing and fails the session.

so I think it has more to do with the data sent to the unit rather than a fault with the hardware?

anyone know how often Sky updates the EPG? is it every few minutes or a once a day type deal?

Spook

7. Eye in the sky

Eye in the sky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Spook,
    I have similar problems with the SKY+ box. Since the warranty runs out last Nov. Failed recordings always happen every week. Resetting does not help at all. A couple of things I tried that did not work:

1. automatic start and end recordings but it did not work.
    2. 60mins for back recording

You may want to try this out but hopefully it works for you.

I agree that Spook may be right with the unreliability of the EPG down stream from SKY. Where I live in Lonodn can be very windy with bad weather since last Nov. That may be the problem. But the regularity of the problem rules that out. So it's not due to weather.

If I can elaborate more on the EPG problem. I think the EPG updates on the downstream must have been corrupted or inconsistent. I think the EPG updates always happen around late afternoon evening time every five days. And that's when the highest recording activity starts from, with so many programmes coming on, so can understand that customers will be ****** off if their recordings were missed or wrongly timed. What SKY+ may be doing to please all its customers (and that's good for customers) but I think it ****** off some other customers like us with failed recordings.

If SKY + is reading, hopefully there is someone to clarify the issue. I seriously think the SKY+ should immediately issue out a new and reliable EPG update (my is 1.28A I think).

Just a check, which version is your EPG? 1.28A? Let's do a dry comparison here. I would think every customer should have the same version but hey let's be sure.

If manual recording works, hey I am willing to try. But it just makes SKY+ more unpleasant to operate and should it come at the expense of the customers or £65 to have the problem checked?? Who will wear out first?

Cheers!

8. alona10

alona10
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi spook
    Have just read your comments and checked my EPG on my now 2nd 160 sky+ box and it is 1.28d. Does this help? I’m hoping the reliability of the 160 is better. :rolleyes:
    Alona10

9. vectrasri99

vectrasri99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have 1.28.d on an standard +
    M

10. Eye in the sky

Eye in the sky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Opps, my EPG is also 1.28d. Typo error. If you get the chance, you can read my thread on Sun Spots. Sounds crazy but hey sometimes crazy things do happen ...

11. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    What setting do you have for "Instant Rewind" ?

The guy who installed my Sky+ over a year ago advised me not to set it above 30 minutes, or the box could have problems and get too slow. I have always kept it at 30 minutes, and have not had more than the occasional glitch.

12. Eye in the sky

Eye in the sky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Instant rewind used to be 30mins. But had recording failure. So it was set to 15mins but still had failure. Now its at 60mins. I am trying to 'trick' the HDD to reserve more space so it could skip the normal recording over the bad sectors. But I think this is only a short term work around till it happens again. I think its basically a HDD fault and a bug in the SKY firmware to not recognise the bad sectors and round-fence it out after each hard reset or rebuild.

For people who upgraded their HDD to bigger ones because of this recording fault will probably run into this recording problem again in the future, if only delaying it. Who is to know what recording or HDD space reserving algorithm is used on the SKY+ boxes.

The only solution is for SKY to completely eradicate this bug in its new firmware upgrade so it will not happen to original HDD and HDD upgrades. If only they do it now to save me some money and time to upgrade my original 40GB HDD. Just my opinion.

13. alona10

alona10
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all
    I have the 160 box and it was replaced after 6 weeks as i have said in the past. The new box was installed the other day but i see that there is a red light flashing from inside the box.I hope it's the hard drive working. :confused: also there is a slight burning smell coming from the box. hope this is only the new smell otherwise glad i was a firefighter for some years. :rolleyes:

14. nostro1

nostro1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All
    Thanks for your feedback it would appear the 160+ box could be just as unreliable as the V2 box. My failed recordings continued, until just be before I did a complete reset, we cleared everything down on the Planner yet I only had 55% free !.
    Have done a reset and keeping my fingers tightly crossed.

If anyone else has feedback on the 160+ box I would be interesed to hear from them, as I may switch to Multiroom and take the £299 upgrade option, at least it will stop all the arguments with the family.
    Can you have 2 SKY+ on Multiroom?
    I would have thought so.
    The only other issue is what sort of a hash will they make installing the cables from the Dish. The last guy just slung the cables over the conservatory roof with no cable staples...

15. bailda

bailda
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If your waranty is about to run out, why not just go and put a 120Gig hard drive in your box instead of a 160. I did this a couple of months ago and had no problems at all or since (thats the kiss of death now though). I used a Maxtor 7500 as well.

16. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,738
    I've had this problem too, first with my Sky V1 box...They wanted silly money to repair it as it was out of warranty, so I said I would leave (be aware, when applying that strategy you must be ready to leave...). The disconnections person wasn't willing to deal so I left...
    3 Months on Freeview with harddisk recording and we really missed Sky+, you know what I mean, when it works it works great...
    So back on to them, go myself connected, the box somehow worked again and a week later it didn't....
    So onto Sky CS, not willing of-course then to disconnections again and presto result! They are sending out an engineer free of-charge, he checked the dish, cabling extensively and then briefly at the box...He just changed it for a newer model, result! It worked, then a few weeks later it didn't again....

So onto the CS as all the recordings were failing again. They were recording, well the light was on and it said so in the planner, but when they finished they were noted as failed...Finally got through to third-level support as I noticed that my percentages in the planner were not adding up....Now here is the trick that you may want to try yourselves....

He made me go into the installers menu and do a planner rebuild (totally forgot about the installers menu)...And presto that worked!!!

Unfortunately a week later the problem was back! So I asked my wife whether I can delete the programmes recorded and do the full planner menu rebuild (including deletion of content)...

This was now 4 months ago and I haven't had a problem since...It seems that there was a rogue recording causing a lot of this hassle...

Hope this helps some of you...

17. markbingo

markbingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    I was having all sorts of problems with my box, (which is just out of warrenty) and SKY wanted to charge me for a call out. I argued and shouted and got very :censored: off indeed. (I was loosing lots of programs, and I had worked out that it was refusing to use both LMB's at the same time, although both showed good signal strength)

I then went into the system set up screens, and restarted my LMB's and restarted the box (I had restarted the box on its own many times to no avail) and things have really improved. It seems that the LMB power down has had a positive effect.

It has been running along fine now for the last few weeks, although I have "lost" 20% of my disc space, which I will reformat when I've caught up with all my current recordings.

Sky were really crap for me, and didn't seem to know what the hell they were on about. Suggesting I pay over £60 call out for something that seemed to be software related really got me annoyed. I thought, why pay them £60 when that would get me a brand new HDD for my box, and probably/possibly cure my issues !!

Anyway.......... not sure if the above helps anybody else at all, just thought I would share my experiance.

Mark

18. Starkiller

Starkiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Our $ky+ box has failed to start today,
    tried the power off for 3mins trick, it just keeps the red light on then 1 flash and no green light ever.... warrentys out now its 13 months old.

We have had 4 replacment boxes in the warrenty period, sky+ is so unreliable its not funny

19. nostro1

nostro1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Starkiller

That was the same error my first (new) box had.
    The engineer was stumped completely.
    Since then I have been on Recon boxes much like yourself.

20. Barry.NI

Barry.NI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have had a V1 sky+ for 3 years and a V2 sky+ for 14 months. Both running concurrently, recording about 10 hours each a week. I installed both of them myself, including the wiring, but not the dish itself. Apart from the odd loss of signal, in bad weather, which has been improved with a re alignment of the dish, and an occasional re boot I have only had two or three failed recordings. It is worth remembering that a recording will fail if there is a momentary loss of signal, or a very short power cut, during the recording, all of which could go unnoticed, if one happens to be out of the house when it occurs.

I think that this system is such an improvement on the old VCR, and when one considers that boxes can now be purchased for £99.00, must also be the bargain of the century. It is my opinion that people who professionally install these systems are working to such low margins, that they will not take care when routing the cable, i.e. avoid running parallel with power cables, kinking etc., therefore the best bet is to buy good quality cable connectors etc., and install it yourselves. Also consider a larger dish and a better quality LNB, especially if one lives in the North of the U.K.

The cost will be approximately the same as two high quality metre long audio cables.

21. Starkiller

Starkiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I found out my[std 40gb] HD is dead, so ive upgraded it to 250gb Maxtor, following hummers guide.

thought it was fix as i got it booted up and could see all the channels, but when it came to record it locked up.... eek

any ideas?

BTW, Barry where can you buy the boxes for £99?