Factory Settings - does it cause problems?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by camcorderlover, Aug 17, 2013.

1. camcorderlover

camcorderlover
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone,

I wondered if it can do any damage or cause problems to return a DVD recorder to it's factory settings (an option in one of the machine's menus).

I would only try doing so because I believe I have unintentionally caused a problem with how it functions.
    My machine is a Sony RDR GX120.
    Could doing so stop the remote from working or make it unable to play or record certain DVDs?

I would like to know about anybody else's experiences returning to factory settings.

Thank you.

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,020
    No damage can occur.

However - regarding the remote control functions: There are three optional remote control command sets. The machine's code set and the remote's code set must match or the remote will not work.

If at sometime in the past the code set has been changed from the default, then resetting to factory settings will return the machine to the default code set and so the remote may no longer work - until you change its code to match.

First you can see which command set the machine currently requires by switching the machine OFF, then pushing the stop button, on the machine itself. The required code will be shown in the front display ( DVD1 or DVD2 or DVD3)

Once you know the code: on the remote hold down the Enter button, and whilst holding push and hold the appropriate code number and hold both for at least three seconds.
    This will change the remote code to match the machine.

The DVD play / record problem is most likely to be problems with the discs themselves, albeit this machine must be getting long in the tooth now and so there is a chance that the laser is now weak.