• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Factory reseting laptop

AntoniHallman

Standard Member
Hey, i'm not much of a computer person so don't know if this is a good idea.

I only have a cheap 'emachines' laptop but it has a load of viruses on it, probably from downloading music, and have never really sorted out a proper security programme on it. The performance of it has dramatically declined and it's become so slow.
Will factory reseting the laptop do any good?

WIll it get rid of the viruses?

What other things will I lose? (documents, settings etc.)

Any help would be much appriciated

Stiggy

Distinguished Member
Yes, backup your personal data and a factory restore.

Do you know how to do it? What make/model PC is it?

When it's done, get a free anti-virus (Avira, Avast, MSE) and scan all you personal data before you put it back on.

spyder viewer

Distinguished Member
You will lose all software, mail, downloads etc you have accumulated, if it is stored on the c: drive. If you have a d: partition then you may be lucky and save most of it. Try downloading malewarebytes and running it in safe mode to clean up your machine. Then install Microsoft Security Essentials.

AntoniHallman

Standard Member
I have no idea how to do it, it's an emachines E520 series laptop, only a cheap make. How do I do it?

Spyder, are you saying use the malewarebytes thing and not to factory reset? Or just do it before to see if makes a difference first?

spyder viewer

Distinguished Member
It's handy to have on any pc but in your case, rather than re-install try and recover the situation first using MWB. It might be less painfull! Have you got a recent backup of all your personal files?

What evidence do you have that you have viruses? It may just need a clear out if it has been getting progressively slower.

Last edited:

AntoniHallman

Standard Member
I kept getting this programme pop up called 'registry mechanic' telling me I had a host of corrupted files and viruses but I didn't put the programme on there and no one else has really the laptop and I had never seen it before so I thought that the programme may have been downloaded with some music or whatever. I think I have sorted it now though, I used the malewarebytes thing and that reported no threats and I also used a Norton secruity scan which also showed no threat so I just deleted the 'registry mechanic' programme and it seems to have sped up a little and is running a little smoother.

I guess it was nothing major in the end, thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom