fact or fiction?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by lunarwolf, Feb 3, 2009.

1. lunarwolf

lunarwolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I keep reading different opinions and wanted to know whether it made any difference if the amp or the blu ray player decodes DTS etc..., or is it exactly the same?

2. lunarwolf

lunarwolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    ? any1 want to give this a stab?

3. Jamie

Jamie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,385
    Depends :)

The legacy formats (plain DTS DD etc) are lossy formats and the quality of the decoder can make a difference, also these older formats can't be decoded and then sent as seperate channels digitally (SPID doesn't have the bandwidth) so if the player decodes then the quality of the analogue outputs also becomes a facter. Overall unless your DVD is very good then decoding on the amp will almost certainly be preferable.

The newer formats, presuming we are talking about a HDMI connection and either bitstream (to decode at the amp) or LPCM (decoded by the player) Should be identical. They are a lossless format so the decoding will produce identical results no matter where the conversion takes place.
    If we add in outputting as 7.1 analogue then other facters come into play (Lack of Bass Management options in the player, quality of analogue outputs etc etc)

I have read some anecdotal evidence on here of people preferring the bitstream decoded by their amp over the decoding done at the player (LPCM). Personally I think some of this is possibly an imagined thing. (ooh the HD light is on, must sound better) Also some amps do apply some extra processing when they do the conversion onboard so I'm not entirely convinced we are comparing like for like.

So in summary. For HD formats should be the same in Theory. Any differences if they exist are almost certainly the amp doing something different or the listeners imagination.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  4. lunarwolf

lunarwolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    ah ok thx a lot :clap:.

will let my ps3 do the decoding then since it can't bitstream full HD sound via hdmi or optical

5. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +11,771
    Nothing will send HD sound via optical as it can't be done. HDMI is required for HD audio.

The only really noticeable benefit to having the amp decode rather than the player is that you get all the right lights on the amp coming on, plus instead of saying MultiCh or similar you actually see True HD or DTS HD Master Audio on your amp's display. :D

6. Jamie

Jamie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,385
    Tats exactly what should happen. As I said earlier though you will see a fair few opinions from people on here preferring the Bitstream and decoding on the amp. Technically if using LPCM over HDMI there should be no difference.