1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fact or Fiction

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by fallwood, May 22, 2005.

1. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi all, just got my ae700 back from repair again and i was wondering what you all thought of the reported fault. As most of you'll know I have had 2 ae700's that have developed brown staining on the red lcd panel after about 400hrs and on the second unit about 40hrs. I was told that by panasonic that the 1'st unit was heat damaged and they wanted to come and see my install to see why the damage had occured. They never sent an engineer but instead refered me to my new local service agent, he dissmissed the possibility that the install could cause the prob after i described how its installed (ceiling mounted) and suggested I drop the pj at their workshop so he could have a look. After a couple of days he rang me and said that he had seen the fault and informed panasonic of the situation, they had told him that it was a software problem that causes the brown marks and that the pj would have to be sent to them for an upgrade. 10 days later he rang me to let me know he had received my PJ back from panasonic and everything was ok, I picked up the unit and the service note from pannasonic stated software upgraded due to fault, tried it when i got home and the unit as been upgraded to 1.7 firmeware and is fine. Personaly i cant see that the marks were due to software and I think that panasonic are not being entirely truthfull about what the fault was. Anyone encounter anything similar as im sure something would have been posted by now about such a software problem.

2. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Has no one at all got an opinion on this ??.

3. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    166 views and not one opinion, cheers !!!.

4. ptek

ptek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry, still tryng to visualise "developed brown staining on the red lcd panel", don't quite get the description , ie. if a problem with red lcd, then you should get a cyan effect, but brown?, the nearest colour to brown is yellow which would indicate a problem on blue side(talking about faults with RGB optics).
    ie. if blue polaiser burnt(after many,many hours usage), perhaps then you could describe the image as being murky/browny/dull, etc

so, sorry, thats probally why no one answered, as for firmware, do you know what version you had to start with ?, none of the firmware posts seen relate to your description, did you post a photo of the problem previously ?

don't know :confused:

5. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the reply, Here are some pics I originally posted showing what I thought was dust contamination, it could clearly be seen when on the red test pattern in service menu but didnt appear on green or blue. Used to annoy the hell out of me when panning across closeups of faces etc. You cant see it that well in the pictures i would say it was 50% darker in reality and quite brown in colour. 1st unit that suffered from this was 1.03 firmware and it occured at about 450 hrs, 2nd unit was 1.05 and occured at about 35 hrs, now its been updated to 1.07 and so far no marks after another 200 hrs.the stranges thing is that is appeared in exactly the same place both times.

Attached Files:

6. ptek

ptek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hard to say from pic's, but does look like bad dust problem, but only on red panel ?, now thats weird :eek: , generally, any dust problems are more obvious on green panel, does not look like electronic(firmware/drive,etc), too random and circular in apperance,when you had the problem, did you try focussing in and out to see if the effect worsen ?, the nearest equivalent I have seen was from fog machines causing an oily droplet effect, of coarse on all panels, I guess, wait and see if happens again

7. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Tried the focus on a peice of paper trick but couldnt get anything focused to have a good look at. On the 1st unit I did blow it out and it practicaly got rid of all the marks apart from a few which is what made me think it was a dust problem. Just wish panny would be more up front with what they've done to the unit , they just keep telling me it was a software problem even though I know for definate that they have changed either the panels or the optics.

8. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    As I thought the problem was not software related as the marks are slowly coming back, wonder what explanation they will give this time they fix it, they are running out of things to tell me so it should be interesting!! .