Facial coverings

I do wish people throw their masks in the bin and not left in trolleys, ground etc. It’s a disgusting thing to do. Do you think if any of these wearers have Covid 19 and dump mask, would the virus go into the air?

Found two masks in trolleys and used the blue roll towel to get them out without touching them in my hands
It won't go into the air because it's not airborne. If it was then the masks and distancing would be pointless. I agree about the littering though. I hate it anyway. The amount of waste in general being generated at the moment must be incalculable. Just at the gym, they go through multiple rolls of blue towel in the time I'm there. I'd say about 8 an hour across four stations.

The worrying thing about airborne transmission is that the virus can hang in the air for some time indoors. The whole 2m thing doesn’t really work if you can walk through the air that an infected person has been coughing into 10 minutes later and become infected yourself. So back to the need for surgical masks at a minimum.

The worrying thing about airborne transmission is that the virus can hang in the air for some time indoors. The whole 2m thing doesn’t really work if you can walk through the air that an infected person has been coughing into 10 minutes later and become infected yourself. So back to the need for surgical masks at a minimum.
The current scientific consensus seems to be that good ventilation and HEPA filtration (combined with masks) is key then to dealing with airborne virus particles indoors.

One for the anti maskers

1596356649715.jpeg

Ah, the Darwin Cafe.

So a full week of mask wearing, a few personal observations.
Glasses steam up. Pinch the end, makes a difference.
Itchy nose.
Chew gum to mitigate smelly breath.
They do become sweaty, especially when worn for a period of time, like last and this weekend when we were out shopping. Although 3 hrs in Primark, TK maxx, Next, Matalan, following her around with a basket is enough to bring anyone out in a cold sweat.
Everyone has them on, odd few don't but that's not my business, I don't know their personal circumstances.
You can still communicate using eyes with strangers, smile, in fact masks can be made into a talking point.
Speech is not really affected, a little muffled.

I still believe masking up is cobblers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Understand your point and is a little odd but countries like Singapore, Japan and Thailand to my knowledge are doing pretty good in the main. Is not to say they don't have problems but way less than us. Hong Kong has seen a worrying upswing and those boys understand the pain these things bring. Was there when SARS hit and it did hit with a far higher fatality rate.

Vietnam has done amazingly well until recent days. Danang (great city) has now been whacked but they saying that is tourist ingress .... local and international.

I think (in the main) the more disciplined Far East cities that have always advocated the use of masks for many years are still doing relatively well.
In Thailand there has been no internally transmitted cases of the virus for over a month. The reasons I firmly believe are because of use of masks in all public areas and enforced social distancing for employees, the sustained closure of bars and gambling centres stopping of international travel. The bars triggered immediate spikes in the virus amongst the 20's and 30's groups who continued to party and carry the virus around with them despite the warnings. The only cases now are on repatriation flights where people are quarantined and tested over a 2 week period. On each flight coming in there seems to be about 5 or 6 people carrying it form different parts of the world. It seems the final beating of the virus is to stop people coming into the country if everything else is under control. The downside is the effect on the economy in the long term. Chicken and egg, open up and economy gets better, maybe the virus back and another lock down and economy goes down.......

The current scientific consensus seems to be that good ventilation and HEPA filtration (combined with masks) is key then to dealing with airborne virus particles indoors.

I don't doubt it. But how many places will have good ventilation and HEPA filtration?

Don't forget this virus is very clever. BLM marches are full of wonderful peaceful protestors, so are immune. Lockdown protestors are a bunch of crazy whack job flat earthers. Virus thrives.
The marchers maybe are immune but not their mothers and fathers or grandparents, but hey let's get our message across regardless

In Thailand there has been no internally transmitted cases of the virus for over a month. The reasons I firmly believe are because of use of masks in all public areas and enforced social distancing for employees, the sustained closure of bars and gambling centres stopping of international travel. The bars triggered immediate spikes in the virus amongst the 20's and 30's groups who continued to party and carry the virus around with them despite the warnings. The only cases now are on repatriation flights where people are quarantined and tested over a 2 week period. On each flight coming in there seems to be about 5 or 6 people carrying it form different parts of the world. It seems the final beating of the virus is to stop people coming into the country if everything else is under control. The downside is the effect on the economy in the long term. Chicken and egg, open up and economy gets better, maybe the virus back and another lock down and economy goes down.......
Thailand aren't doing mass random testing, if England did the same our numbers would be tiny as well. I have spent a lot of time in Thailand - my wife is Thai - so you will know as well as I that Thailand is one of the most corrupt countries on earth. What they're doing with the prolonging of this fear will come to a head. They're trying to suppress government protests, and they haven't had a coup for a few years so you're due one.
A lot of countries that have strict mask policies have seen spikes. And it's also important to note the care home culture and how elderly people are treated. In Thailand the elderly aren't crammed into small buildings at close proximity. Care home deaths account for around 40% of deaths in the UK and America and over half in sweden.
There are so many variables, country to country. Especially how deaths are recorded and how tests are administered.

Thailand aren't doing mass random testing, if England did the same our numbers would be tiny as well. I have spent a lot of time in Thailand - my wife is Thai - so you will know as well as I that Thailand is one of the most corrupt countries on earth. What they're doing with the prolonging of this fear will come to a head. They're trying to suppress government protests, and they haven't had a coup for a few years so you're due one.
My wife is Thai as well. She is not happy with the Thai government and it's control on the country but she is very happy with how they have controlled the virus. You are correct about the lack of widespread testing and some are accusing the government of lying about the virus in the country, however as my wife says if they are lying to that extent then where are all the dead people ? There is only so much you can hide.

My wife is Thai as well. She is not happy with the Thai government and it's control on the country but she is very happy with how they have controlled the virus. You are correct about the lack of widespread testing and some are accusing the government of lying about the virus in the country, however as my wife says if they are lying to that extent then where are all the dead people ? There is only so much you can hide.
I agree. The deaths have been tiny. And I don't believe there are thousands of unaccounted for dead people. I couldn't find any information how thai record deaths. If they only record 'died of' rather than 'died with' then would explain it. If we did the same we'd have a few thousand not 45k. Nearly all care homes and around 250 under 45. if we did no testing like Thailand we wouldn't have these spikes or lockdowns as 90% are asymptomatic; all we would have is very low death numbers, about 8 a day at the moment. Obviously worse than Thailand, but I don't think the public would be as concerned.

Yes and no. I don’t think it’s that different. It’s has been mandatory on public transport for a long time now. There was a vote earlier this week regarding the use in busy public spaces which was declined on a national level, but is allowed to be implemented on a local level.
That is an opinion piece, not official government guidance.

I know, but still has opinions from scientists, too.
Indeed. That is the thing with people, lots of opinions and no consensus. Hence I find it so ridiculous to only give one side (any Government) such a hard time over it.

Personally, I just wear a face covering. No big deal in the grand scheme of things. And a million times more comfortable than ending up in ICU ;)

lots of opinions and no consensus. Hence I find it so ridiculous to only give
But only one side is getting air time, and the other side is getting censored and banned.

And a million times more comfortable than ending up in ICU ;)
Can we stop this sort of binary hyperbole. You know that the chances of ending up in ICU are basically zero for most people, so please don't do this.

But only one side is getting air time, and the other side is getting censored and banned.

Can we stop this sort of binary hyperbole. You know that the chances of ending up in ICU are basically zero for most people, so please don't do this.
We all have our own risk limits. Considering how many deaths there have been and people with long lasting issues, I happy reduce my chances even further. I’ve been wearing an FFP2 compliant one during the peak, and happily continue with an ordinary face mask.

Heck it’s so normal and comfortable that I even forgot I had mine still on in the car. Really no big deal.

We are all entitled to our own risk assessment and protection, so whether you like it or not I happily state where I don’t want to end up.

We all have our own risk limits. Considering how many deaths there have been and people with long lasting issues, I happy reduce my chances even further. I’ve been wearing an FFP2 compliant one during the peak, and happily continue with an ordinary face mask.

brand-dark.svg
About our ads
You may also like
Heck it’s so normal and comfortable that I even forgot I had mine still on in the car. Really no big deal.

We are all entitled to our own risk assessment and protection, so whether you like it or not I happily state where I don’t want to end up.
Indeed. But if you refused to get into a car because you'll die in a road accident you may get some funny looks. Even though that's more likely than ending up in ICU due to Covid. Assuming you're not over 80.

Indeed. But if you refused to get into a car because you'll die in a road accident you may get some funny looks. Even though that's more likely than ending up in ICU due to Covid. Assuming you're not over 80.
Again appropriate risk assessment; I wear my seatbelt, keep my distance, have airbags, a crumple zone, anti collision braking system etc. All just like wearing a mask no big deal to live with and improve my chances of survival no end in case the worst was to happen.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom