Facial coverings

Not to mention 300,000+ positive tests and counting and thousands of people roaming out and about spreading everyday across the country and the unknown number of asymptomatic people and covid positive people who are untested...

Masks to be made mandatory in all enclosed public spaces from August 8.

But whatever legislation the government passes, there's no-one to enforce it.

It'll be down to that good old British common sense again.

We have a one way system at work. Massive, (and I do mean MASSIVE), red "NO ENTRY" signs on two of our main doors. They might as well be written in invisible ink.
I cannot fathom out the stupidity of a growing number of the general public.
And when you try to point out the error of their ways, they look at you as if you are talking Klingon.
I seriously wonder how the vast majority get through their daily lives.
Some people are as thick as pig shite.

The UK really isn't alone in this. In the Netherlands they now have to make mask mandatory in busy public places.

It’s not all enclosed spaces is it? You wouldn’t have to wear one at work? Someone on the industrial estate where I work was saying goodbye to another bloke after a meeting I assume. No masks and they even shook hands. Idiots.

Last edited:
From what I have have seen over the last few days,are fewer people in smaller shops wearing face masks.

In supermarkets I'd say 9/10 people would still wear a mask,but its the other way around in smaller shops with hardly anyone putting on a mask.

I did go into a supermarket the other day without a mask,but only because when I took my cheapo mask out of my pocket the string was broken on it and wasn't gonna go home to get another. I still was social distancing so not much difference if I had a mask on.

Have been in smaller shops recently when I have forgot to take a mask out with me,and have gone into the shop and said to the shopkeeper sorry I've haven't got a mask,they've all said don't worry its OK. So if its good with the shopkeeper then thats all that matters to me.

Two chancers got on a bus in town. First of all...

"We came out without our masks"

Followed by (to the driver)...

"It's at your discretion"

"It's not law"

I'd already suffered a coastal journey that normally takes an hour and a bit by bus, due to a traffic accident and the chain ferry not running for two hours, my journey had already taken over three hours, so I wasn't amused at these men trying to board and delaying the journey, not only that but it's an insult to every passenger who had made the effort to don a facial covering (and that was every person on that bus).

"No mask, no travel" I said, loud enough for them to hear.

Whether discretionary or not, the driver opted not to let them travel and they went on their way, calling it a "joke".

I don't think many of us would call 45k deaths a joke.

Good for you and is what we all should be doing .... a little gentle expression and peer pressure without turning it into a confrontation. The right choice words and influence is usually all that's required. Result!

The general populace ARE stupid because we make life too easy for everybody. We lower everything down to the lowest common denominator. Years ago the stupid would die off, now we keep them alive.

Yep it will and if we all use the same influence that you did in your earlier post, then we will all be doing our bit and improving the odds.

Unfortunately when you see folks not taking responsibilities, it means the rest of us have to double down in that department.

My friend's sister was in a supermarket and a man shouted at her "where's your ****ing mask?" She was clearly distressed and shaken. She will not wear mask as she was raped about 10 years ago and having something over her mouth brings back memories of the rape. I remember my friend telling me about this a few weeks after the event. She does have a lanyard with face covering exempt on it.

I wish people will not shout things like this as she had a genuine reason for not wearing a mask. If I am having a bad day with my asthma and need to take off my mask whilst still in a shop, I would be in the same distressed and shaken state as my friend's sister.

As one asthmatic customer said to me "wish people keep their noses inside their masks"

No good for non-contacts specs wearers then ... have been raising/removing mine in shops due to steaming, managing okay, but won't waste money on a blurry film. Tbh wouldn't go anyway. I expect we'll be getting a lot of simultaneous releases to streaming rental.

We need to wear masks in cinemas and therefore people can't eat? I always knew there's be a bonus for masks.

You wouldn't want to do it every time you went out but in a cinema you could use that micropore tape across the top edge.

I'm told that's what glasses wearers who need masks in hospitals use. It stops misting.

Far from ideal but it's a way.

I'm certainly not an anti masker. I've just been getting on with my life wearing one whenever necessary.

But I've been wondering the same thing. Why haven't countries that have made masks compulsory seen them make a difference yet? Why are some seeing a continuingly deteriorating situation. And in fact why have other countries that haven't enforced their use been making improvements to theirs?

Last edited:
You wouldn't want to do it every time you went out but in a cinema you could use that micropore tape across the top edge.

I'm told that's what glasses wearers who need masks in hospitals use. It stops misting.

Far from ideal but it's a way.
I'll just wait until I don't have to wear a mask. Unfortunately that means people will be able to eat again :(

I'm certainly not an anti masker. I've just been getting on with my life wearing one whenever necessary.

But I've been wondering the same thing. Why haven't countries that have made masks compulsory seen them make a difference yet? Why are some seeing a continuingly deteriorating situation. And in fact why have other countries that haven't enforced their use been making improvements to theirs?

Understand your point and is a little odd but countries like Singapore, Japan and Thailand to my knowledge are doing pretty good in the main. Is not to say they don't have problems but way less than us. Hong Kong has seen a worrying upswing and those boys understand the pain these things bring. Was there when SARS hit and it did hit with a far higher fatality rate.

Vietnam has done amazingly well until recent days. Danang (great city) has now been whacked but they saying that is tourist ingress .... local and international.

I think (in the main) the more disciplined Far East cities that have always advocated the use of masks for many years are still doing relatively well.

We have a one way system at work. Massive, (and I do mean MASSIVE), red "NO ENTRY" signs on two of our main doors. They might as well be written in invisible ink.
I cannot fathom out the stupidity of a growing number of the general public.
And when you try to point out the error of their ways, they look at you as if you are talking Klingon.
I seriously wonder how the vast majority get through their daily lives.
Some people are as thick as pig sh*te.

Habit overrules all common sense. How many times have you heard people say "We've always done it this way." You're trying to change the course of a supertanker that's ploughing on at full speed and not answering her helm.

From what I have have seen over the last few days,are fewer people in smaller shops wearing face masks.
I suspect people know there's much less chance of Old Bill popping into a corner shop and catching them without a mask than there is in a supermarket.

Ah, the chattering class.

Was in a big Asda earlier. Fed up of seeing the people in there with the masks around their chins just so they can speak on the phone :-(

Lot of situations like that everywhere I go.

Finding it hard to see how masks in cinemas will be 'policed', considering it's dark and people will be eating and drinking. And they won't stop serving stuff because that's how cinemas make a lot of there money.

Lot of situations like that everywhere I go.

Finding it hard to see how masks in cinemas will be 'policed', considering it's dark and people will be eating and drinking. And they won't stop serving stuff because that's how cinemas make a lot of there money.
Another reason not to go to the cinema. Can see figures drop

A Darwin event?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom