Facial coverings

BrightonChris

Distinguished Member
Don't forget this virus is very clever. BLM marches are full of wonderful peaceful protestors, so are immune. Lockdown protestors are a bunch of crazy whack job flat earthers. Virus thrives.

When In Rome

Distinguished Member
It’s not all enclosed spaces is it? You wouldn’t have to wear one at work? Someone on the industrial estate where I work was saying goodbye to another bloke after a meeting I assume. No masks and they even shook hands. Idiots.
I think they must mean things like general retail plus libraries. Oh and whist drives. 😂

The stores and staff is a bit of an odd one. People saying why aren't staff wearing masks when customers have to?

Maybe it's because they would have to wear a covering continually, like for an eight hour shift which would be too restrictive in comparison to a half hour for a shopper, I'm not sure.

When In Rome

Distinguished Member
My friend's sister was in a supermarket and a man shouted at her "where's your ****ing mask?"
Absolutely zero call for that. 🤬

I completely empathise because I have a particular fear of knives.

When I was thirteen the police arrived at school to collect me. Said my Mum had been taken ill. Went to stay at her sisters, my aunt Hazel.

Nobody would tell me for quite some time exactly what was wrong, suppose given my age and the sensitivity of what it was.

A neighbour had found my Mum overdosed and she had used a knife on herself, about an hour from death the doctors said later.

That's when my Mum signed me over into council care and the rest of my growing up was in children's homes.

So later in life when I was in supported living (bit like a children's home but for adults) the first thing I noticed when I saw the kitchen area as I was given an induction / tour of the house, was all the knives freely hanging on the wall!

Given that one other resident had schizophrenia, I could not understand why knives would be on open display? And the resonance of what happened in my life personally before, do you know that I had to literally complain and complain through social services before they removed them?

I have mentioned this before in another forum because I remember one reply asked "who the hell is running that place?"

So anyway, that is a comparison and why I can understand your friend's sister's unease / fear of masks.

Last edited:

BrightonChris

Distinguished Member
Seem like fine people...

This sort of stuff puzzles me. They must know how ludicrous saying things like that is, they lose all credibility. There are probably people there with legitimate grievances. Trying to run a small business or whatever, and they get lumped in with this lot.

BrightonChris

Distinguished Member
From Toby Young, re: northern lockdown:

”Was the “surge” in cases in the North West that prompted the Government to impose a local lockdown on more than four million people due to 14 additional people testing positive? It certainly looks that way.

The ONS infection survey data showing that the number of infected people had risen from 0.05% of the population to 0.07% (still below the level of an epidemic), was based on just 59 people testing positive out of 116,026 swab tests over a six-week period. In the previous period, 45 people tested positive out of 114,674, which means the tipping point for a northern lockdown may have rested on only 14 extra positive tests. That’s well within the confidence interval so it’s perfectly possible that there’s been no increase at all and next week the numbers will fall.

If you compare the most recent week’s ONS data it shows 24 people testing positive out of 28,325, compared to 19 out of 31,542 the previous week. So a total increase of five.”

When In Rome

Distinguished Member
Back to facial coverings then.

So does anyone have (or are using) these bog standard light blue masks?

I have an issue with the string really.

Yes I'm a bit heavy handed but even gingerly fixing one over one's ears the string tends to snap and come away.

Maybe a bad batch, who knows but has anyone had this problem?

realfrankturner

Yes I'm a bit heavy handed but even gingerly fixing one over one's ears the string tends to snap and come away.

Do you mean these

I bought those and find them quite good, personally. Not had one break, yet.

iangreasby

I've got those and haven't had any problems so far.

realfrankturner

That's them. From eBay but same item. I've had several failures, seems they are fragile and need delicate handling!
I haven't had that personally.

I have used 3 other type of masks which have snapped, those were actually the first ones I used I have had no issue with.

iangreasby

I've even used the same one several times over and the string hasn't snapped. Oops, probably shouldn't have admitted to that! :facepalm:

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
I have been using them for quite a while, elastic is fine.
True some of the hand made ones but not as easy to breathe.
There was a welding mask which uses activated charcoal filters but the exhaust vent isn't filtered so if I am infected I could infect others so that was off the list.

realfrankturner

Looks like we are all coming out now!:D I feel like I've just been to confession....and I'm not even Catholic!
As long as it still fits on me and isn't broken, don't see the issue myself.

But I have read articles about changing them regularly, not like they are torn or anything though.

vu599536

I do wish people throw their masks in the bin and not left in trolleys, ground etc. It’s a disgusting thing to do. Do you think if any of these wearers have Covid 19 and dump mask, would the virus go into the air?

Found two masks in trolleys and used the blue roll towel to get them out without touching them in my hands

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q950T Soundbar Review, Filmmaker Mode, Disney+ $30 for Mulan, AV news and more

Latest News

THX Spatial Audio app brings 360 degree sound to any headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Xbox Series X November launch confirmed
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Xiaomi OLED is world’s first mass produced transparent TV
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Tron 3 lands star and director for Disney
  • By Andy Bassett