Facetime - daft question

thedrewser

Established Member
Reaction score
Am I right that facetime is achieved via the internet rather than mobile networks?

I'm hoping to get an iPad next year and Facetime would be great on the bigger screen for letting my kids talk to their grandparents. I'm only going to get a wifi version, which I assume, as Facetime will be done from home, will be fine to use.

If not, I could always use personal hotspot from my 4S.

I know it's an answer I should really know, but just wanted confirmation (I'm needing to get my business case ready of all the advantages to convince the missus).

Another question on FaceTime - when you are in the middle of a call is there any way of hanging up just the video but retaining the audio ? Whenever I've used FaceTime it's always been for a very specific reason to show someone else something, but then I want to just continue the call normally. Most people don't actually like to see each other on the screen. I know you can reverse the camera but that'a a bodge.

Use Skype it is easier to manipulate and switch preferences mid call to even chat via text. It maybe owned by Microsoft now but at least it uses all the familiarities of Messenger.

Use Skype it is easier to manipulate and switch preferences mid call to even chat via text. It maybe owned by Microsoft now but at least it uses all the familiarities of Messenger.

That's all well and good, and indeed I use Skype when travelling as my default communication option, however the nice thing about FaceTime is that for a technophobe like my wife it is simply a button to press on the phone app that she already regularly uses.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom