Facebook Killing Oculus Rift Line

Atmos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to have to rewatch the stream, I was putting my shopping in the freezer whilst this was being said. Only heard that they were discontinuing the Rift S in Spring next year.

It's a bit daft destroying a brand that strong in favour of one that's less than 2 years old. Also means that the Half Dome tech will be more difficult to bung into a standalone/hybrid headset.

I'm not surprised. Facebook could never compete with Valve on PC.

I think Facebook hope all devs will give up on PCVR and concentrate on Standalone going forward. You reap what you sow.

@thesnowdog When the RiftS came out I said Lenovo would get burned and if this news is true, looks like I was right.

I'm not surprised. Facebook could never compete with Valve on PC.

I think Facebook hope all devs will give up on PCVR and concentrate on Standalone going forward. You reap what you sow.

Facebook can easily compete with Valve.

The simple answer is they just don't want to. They don't care about snowdog, they don't care about us and they don't care about the PCVR playerbase.

They've seen the sales of the Quest, they've seen how easy it is to encourage developers to make small, rubbish experiences and make maximum profit out of them whilst signing everyone up to their facebook surveillance and expand the FB brand identity and thats what they want.

I think Lone Echo 2 might be the final good PCVR game from Oculus. Its their big IP.. and I didn't really hear much about it from them..

I'm sure they're already scrapping Asgard's Wrath 2 and asking the developers to make an Oculus Quest equivalent. They'll get ubisoft to make a 2 hour Assasin's creed 'experience' too. I think the Oculus Link will now just be a cable to use to see the developer previews of what a Quest game would have looked like.

Not having a PCVR headset on the market is a clear red flag that they're done with it. They didn't even bother to release a more convienant solution for Oculus Link (wireless or better data connection with data to back it up). Heck they don't even ship the Quest 2 with a long enough USB cable to use link.

Given that Oculus Link can apparently work with USB 2 you'd think a wireless system that can harness a PC's power would be achievable. Somewhat sadly, it seems Facebook's interest in PC VR has expired.

Given that Oculus Link can apparently work with USB 2 you'd think a wireless system that can harness a PC's power would be achievable. Somewhat sadly, it seems Facebook's interest in PC VR has expired.
exactly. they saw the candy crush numbers and flew towards it.

who is more likely to engage on social media platforms. someone who wants to play skyrim with 39389489 mods or someone who is playing fruit ninja on their smart phone.

they know their market.

Called it. As I said before, the Rift was on borrowed time as soon as the link cable dropped.

was just pointing out on another thread, makes sense to me to have 1 headset that can do both. They are killing Rift in name only, its just evolved into quest.

I too thought the rift line was likely on borrowed time the moment the quest became an official hybrid VR device ...(I hoped not however)
That said I am not sure why this means Oculus PCVR is dead.
Whilst it isn't fully working yet apparently the link cable will be able to do 90hz VR when connected to a PC and wireless pc VR also works.
Cards on the table I wish quest 2 had a DP not USB3. But quest 2 IS a PCVR device as well as a standalone.

I too thought the rift line was likely on borrowed time the moment the quest became an official hybrid VR device ...(I hoped not however)
That said I am not sure why this means Oculus PCVR is dead.
Whilst it isn't fully working yet apparently the link cable will be able to do 90hz VR when connected to a PC and wireless pc VR also works.
Cards on the table I wish quest 2 had a DP not USB3. But quest 2 IS a PCVR device as well as a standalone.

I thought they'd either release

1. Wireless peripheral for Q1/Q2 link to PC
or
2. Throw us a bone and release a Rift 2 for a high price tag of £599 o £699 which was a HP Reverb clone with some Oculus improvements (better lens design, maybe better sleeker fit and ergonomics, better tracking).

I saw the painting on the wall when it came this situation though. The Quest locks down the innovation of the Rift line fairly severely because they want parity in controllers and sadly in video game library moving forwards now. There is simply a limit to what you can port to the Q2 and Oculus now seem to not be bothered in producing games which can't be sold on the Quest store. Similarly, they were never going to come close to matching the Index controllers because they are tied to the Quest. The Rift controllers need to be similar to the Quest controllers, and the Quest price point has to move down, not up, so they can't afford to improve the controllers dramatically as they can't pass that cost onto the consumer.

This means my dreams of a VR-like The Last of Us 2 or God of War are not going to come from Oculus, and its disappointing as they have the money to do it. Their VR development was shakey, as their exclusive titles show, but they clearly knocked it out of the park with games like Lone Echo, Asgard's Wrath, Robo Recall and Stormland.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom