• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Facebook just got my mobile number!

Member 55145

Distinguished Member
Not sure how they did it but seems to be today when I reinstalled the app and haven't granted it permission to look at my contacts this comes up
image.jpg

I have done everything I could to stop them getting it. I had thought about the possibility from my friends list but they don't have my mobile either and it only happened today when installing it today. Not to mention I only have 9 friends on FB as I tend to use it for news feeds.

Not happy!

Just pre warning others.

Toasty

Distinguished Member
Latest versions of Facebook request permission to access text messages, could be done that way. I've not updated my facebook or amazon apps for this reason so stuck with real old versions of these apps. I suppose its good that an update will tell you what permissions the new app needs, I'd just like to be able to deny access to some of them, its all or nothing unfortunately.. I think..

Member 55145

Distinguished Member
I always deny permissions except photos.

Elrond

I always deny permissions except photos.
Do you use Facebook Messenger?

By the way, Apple's Developer T&Cs prohibit a developer accessing the phones mobile number and if a developer tries, their app will be rejected. However, who knows what they do considering Facebook's user base. There used to be API's available to developers, but these have been removed (with apps being rejected) or where it could be done through bugs, they have been fixed.

Member 55145

Distinguished Member
Do you use Facebook Messenger?

By the way, Apple's Developer T&Cs prohibit a developer accessing the phones mobile number and if a developer tries, their app will be rejected. However, who knows what they do considering Facebook's user base. There used to be API's available to developers, but these have been removed (with apps being rejected) or where it could be done through bugs, they have been fixed.
I had previously but removed it due to lack of space on my phone.

Member 55145

Distinguished Member
I think Facebook Messenger works by or needs your mobile number as a unique identifier so that could be how it knows it.
It didn't know it before, and I don't think it does use it as an identifier.

Facebook has been asking for my number for over a year. It was only today when i reinstalled the facebook app it "guessed" my number.
I haven't reinstalled messenger

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Thought you had to pay after 1 year?
And I thought that's what txt msgs do ;)

Text messages are ok for 1-1 - as soon as you start adding more people it's impossible to have a conversation without it being a total mess. You imagine this thread being conducted by text messages.

Yes £1 a year technically (many people seem to end up never paying) - counts as virtually free in my book.

sergiup

Distinguished Member
Thought you had to pay after 1 year?
And I thought that's what txt msgs do ;)

Not particularly keen on paying for text messages to a whole rainbow of countries... But yes, they have all my data :thumbsdow

Member 55145

Distinguished Member
Does it matter?
Facebook knowing your number is a big security risk. It's also a blatant disregard of my privacy. I did not want them knowing it.

Member 55145

Distinguished Member
A phone number is hardly a secret though. Your friends have it stored in their phones - if they give facebook access to their phone book (to 'find more friends') then bingo they've got it. Facebook may well have deduced it from them. Notice the screen-shot is asking 'is this your number' as if it 'doesn't know'.
Yes I did think this is a possibility. But people who know my number is very limited.

Koeman2021

Banned
There's very little anyone can do with a mobile number, what's the worst that can happen? More PPI calls? Don't sweat it. There's worse things going on

Also the fact that Facebook knows your exact location? Ooooo..

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom