Facebook acquires Sanzaru Games

If Sanzura release all their future games on Quest and I want those games I’ll go buy a Quest. But as I don’t like stand alones or any of Sanzura games I won’t. There’s nothing strange here. My logic is sound. :)

Snowdog is absolutely wrong. If Valve were using the Oculus SDK natively then we wouldn’t have to install any Oculus software at all because according to him SteamVR would do it natively.

The reality Snowdog chooses to forget or ignore is whenever a Rift/RiftS headset tries to access a Steam game it fires up the Oculus software in order to access the Oculus SDK. This is NOT native support unlike WMR who have an embedded App which runs direct from Steam.

It’s common knowledge Valve made a compatibility layer that sits between SteamVR and the Oculus SDK. Oculus did not give permission for this because no permission was needed. In the same way Revive strips the identity of Index and Vive HMDs and fools the Ocukus Home into thinking it’s a Oculus headset. There’s not permission needed.

Palmer Luckey contradicted himself several times. He stated in 2016 Oculus asked Valve for permission to use their SDK to implement ATW and Valve refused. That could well be true. But Oculus refused and still refuses to use a wrapper. Later Palmer Luckey funded Revive which is the equivalent of Valves wrapper even though this layer doesn’t support ASW which was the only reason Palmer previously gave for Oculus not supporting other headsets.

The facts are there. Palmers words, No ASW for Vive/Index, Revive. SteamVR still needs Oculus software to be installed.

Snowdog has just convinced himself he’s right. Everyone else who uses a native SteamVR headset knows he’s wrong.

Even Pimax headsetnative aren’t native to SteamVR as Pimax use their own SDK. Without Pitool it won’t work.

Give it a few weeks and we’ll be going over this all again lol.

I didn't say that SteamVR was supporting the Rift natively. That's my whole point. Games on Steam are allowed by Oculus to use the Oculus SDK natively should a developer choose to do so.

You right click on the game and choose the Oculus version to use the Oculus SDK. Pressing Play without right clicking runs the SteamVR version by default, using the translation layer for non-Lighthouse headsets.

Oculus would have been well within their rights to forbid developers to use the Oculus SDK on any other platform. They could have forced developers to ONLY make their Rift games available on Oculus Share and later the Oculus Store, forcing them to use the translation layer for Steam games. This would mean that ALL VR games on Steam using a Rift would run with a poorer performance than games on their own platform.

If Sanzura release all their future games on Quest and I want those games I’ll go buy a Quest. But as I don’t like stand alones or any of Sanzura games I won’t. There’s nothing strange here. My logic is sound. :)
Your logic is sound... ing selective.

Exclusives are OK on platforms that don't interest you, but immoral on platforms that do.

And Sanzaru seem pretty happy Sanzaru Announcement
I read a couple of people didn't transition over, but that was their individual choice and not some grand scheme to drive people out.

Ahhh so IF oculus bought sanzaru to JUST make quest games that is ok in your eyes then because the quest is not a pc, so it is then exactly the same as Sony buying up a PC Dev to work on non PC software via PSVR....
But IF oculus choose to release sanzaru software to work both on quest AND Rift that is bad?

Very strange logic mate

No surprise though, is it? You have to remember that Oculus killed his family and raped his dog. Once you experience that sort of trauma and stress this sort of logic is quite understandable 😂😂😂

This is fantastic news but I do worry if Oculus have bought Sanzaru to release games for the Quest.

I feel Asgard's Wrath is the closest we have to a native VR Skyrim and I was hoping they'd push the VR RPG path forwards with cutting edge games for PCVR.

However if they follow Oculus's direction of catering more towards the Quest, the we can expect more dumbed down simpler RPGs from them with crossplay.

Asgard's Wrath, although amazing, has already been utterly surpassed from a VR physics/gameplay perspective.

Hopefully Oculus bought Sanzaru to continue to release PCVR high end games.

Also reading the comments above, Atmos is clearly correct. If Valve were the problem, why can't WMR headsets (who are really in no mans land) not have support on the Oculus store but they are on the Steam store.

Its clear Oculus want a closed eco-system and I don't blame them because if it was open, software sales wise Steam would SLAUGHTER them outside of Oculus exclusives, because people simply have too much loyalty, good will and prefer for all their games to be in one place.

Just look at RDR2 and how many people waited for the Steam release despite there being NO difference (if anything the steam release was more of a pain in the ass).

Its a clear business decision because anyone with a brain knows trying to go head to head with steam on software sales is a battle you will lose; especially in a niche market like VR.

Last edited:
Again, it's in Oculus' business interest to have their SDK extended to cover HTC and Valve headsets. And, again, if the Oculus SDK was extended there'd be no need for SteamVR apart from people owning WVR headsets.

As to why Oculus haven't extended the SDK to cover WVR headsets nobody has a clue. What we DO know is that Valve aren't giving Oculus permission to extend their SDK to cover HTC and Vive headsets, perhaps Microsoft have done the same thing?

And of course Oculus would want HTC and Valve headsets to be covered by the Oculus SDK, it would effectively DOUBLE their potential consumer base. Your arguement against this makes no sense whatsoever. If Valve and HTC headsets could use the Oculus Store natively the owners of those headsets would be attracted to those Oculus Store exclusives and purchase from there without needing to worry about the Revive developer getting run over by a bus or something 😂😂😂

Nothing would change for Oculus headset owners on Steam, everything would change for Valve and HTC headset owners on the Oculus Store. Oculus would have the benefit of attracting more headset owners to their Store, Valve will have the disadvantage of having a competing Store with top quality exclusives. And then it will come down to which Store has the best prices, which is a win for headset owners.

And then of course you'll find developers starting abandon the Open SDK, something that Valve have spent A LOT of time and money developing, because using the Oculus SDK will increase performance.

It's in Oculus' business interest to extend their SDK, it's NOT in Valve's business interest to allow Oculus to extend their SDK. Them not giving Oculus permission to do so is anti-consumer and anti-competitive, and they don't get anywhere near enough grief for it.

I think Oculus / Facebook tolerate ReVive. They did briefly block it and there was a bit of a negative press shitstorm so they unblocked it pretty quickly.

I find it a bit strange that Facebook dont openly allow other headsets onto their store. All their other interests openly leech user data from where ever they can without a care in the world.

Apparently they blocked it because they were narced that vive users were getting the oculus freebies meant to be for peoe who bought their rift rather than not wanting to take money from vive users using their store.
Either way that was oculus's fault for not just giving rifters a game code for Lucky's talenand farlands (which I believe they fixed now,) (bit of an aside it boggles my mind when some people had the front to moan when oculus took the games they were never meant to have off them)

You can still play Luckys Tale for free. I tried after it was claimed Vive users were locked out.

Oculus admitted they made changes to Echo Arena because their was an issue with the Vive Mic output. Jason Rubins admitted Oculus fix the problem because they could tell who were the Vive players. Oculus fixed a glitch, it’s wasn’t a conscious discussion to support Revive in any way shape or form.

Oculus does not support third party headsets period. Their loss. Steam rumbles on.

Sanzaru really need to make their games look as beautiful as HLA next time round. Asgard's Wrath is an impressive game which will age very poorly. They have way too many NPCs and way too much pop in.

Ooooooo in other news it just popped up on my alerts that Grip , the spiritual successor to the amazing roll cage just got vr support. This is fab news. I think i got the game in a recent humble.monthly but never played due to no VR

Edit totally wrong thread for this. Will post elsewhere

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom