Fabric wall panels

Love1542

Established Member
Reaction score
So I’m just starting out the design for a new cinema room. Install hidden Dali phantoms 3 x s280s for fronts and s180 for surrounds. I’m am trying to hide the speaker and like the look of wall panels. I can have them made to size with hole cut inside for the speakers. Just trying to work out how to get the panels on the wall. The guy that is making them said use glue but don’t really want to glue on as I might want to take them off at some point. Any body done this

thanks for any input

Thanks for the reply what about if it a full height panel floor to ceiling any idea how you would clip them on

Depends on if you have space to slide them on sideways I guess, this guy used double opposing French cleats which is a neat solution :-

If not you're looking at push / pop on solutions but then the strength of the hold may not be as strong, something like this :-

Or this :-

When I started investigating, I just had to order a few of each type to see them in person.

Two of mine I screwed through the material to hold them in place, but only as the screws were also used to hook my screen onto..

Cool thanks for the help. Did you install your self. Did you make your own panels

Yes and yes, made mine from wood frame and MVEL22 BK stretched and stapled over, not that tricky. 1st one wasn’t perfect, 2nd and 3rd got better, so went back and redid the 1st once I knew better what tension to use on the material. I used the secret panel fixing on my front 3 as they didn’t go floor to ceiling as below I will build a shelf (and cover in MVEL22) for my AV rack to sit below and above I’ll build square soffit going all round the room for hidden lighting. I guess if yours are resting on the floor then the fixings will not hold the bulk of the weight anyway.

Yes guess so I might give I a go my self. Could you upload so pics

Here’s a few not very good pics, left and right screwed to wall so can hang screen on them, before fixing properly they had two horizontal support beams in place rather than just the one pictured. The centre one is a bit more light weight, just ripped thinner wood and held with 2 secret panel fixings which are much simpler than screws.. Will put more on side walls also, may add Rockwool to these (if able to get some delivered) and if simple enough then go back and add it also to my existing ones..

16ED8BED-CFAE-49C0-A769-E6882F10B3B7.jpeg
5B999B11-F136-471C-A7BB-CD83BA904E1C.jpeg

Heavy duty Velcro 50mm wide. Stick on or stick and staple. Brilliant stuff.

Heavy duty Velcro 50mm wide. Stick on or stick and staple. Brilliant stuff.

That is an excellent solution. I would like to be able to remove the panels if need be. Unfortunately my panels with have to only be 25mm deep filled with 25mm Rockwool slabs on the side walls. Do you think the Velcro would be ok for ceiling panels? I can always reduce the panel size to lower the weight.

I'd personally be wary of them falling, I guess they're not the heaviest things in the world but I would not risk it myself.

I've recently used Button Fix fixings, if you can accurately line them up I can really recommend them. They come with an alignment red dot marker tool, so fix the catch first, then mark where the dot should be :-

If you're not so handy at aligning things, these secret fixings have plenty of adjustment :-

I have used this for ceiling fixings before. Bear in mind that a ceiling fixing is in tension which is stronger than being in sheer. Button fixings are great where you have rigid panels that can be accurately aligned and are hung so the there is a positive lock. I wouldn't use button fixings horizontally.

I'd personally be wary of them falling, I guess they're not the heaviest things in the world but I would not risk it myself.

I've recently used Button Fix fixings, if you can accurately line them up I can really recommend them. They come with an alignment red dot marker tool, so fix the catch first, then mark where the dot should be :-

If you're not so handy at aligning things, these secret fixings have plenty of adjustment :-
Thanks.

They are probably the best for the ceiling panels.

I have a very handy Brother-in-Law who is a perfectionist. He has offered to help me with fixings and anything which is beyond my capability. I want it to look as professional as possible. I am just waiting for him to visit to discuss my plans for panels, smart lighting, cable management etc.

Hey mate, out of curiosity, did you notice my difference to your frequency response when you installed the MVEL22 over your speakers?

I believe you know I’ve got the same material and use side curtains, I’m planning on installing front wides soon so will be pulling the curtains in front of these speakers.

When I did a basic test I didn’t notice too much difference, but it was a real bodge job when I tested it.

I have used this for ceiling fixings before. Bear in mind that a ceiling fixing is in tension which is stronger than being in sheer. Button fixings are great where you have rigid panels that can be accurately aligned and are hung so the there is a positive lock. I wouldn't use button fixings horizontally.
Yours sound interesting, do you have a link to a product to see?

The button fixings above I used worked 100% fine for me in a horizontal situation. I used it to put a large box housing made out of wood (1000 x 600 x 300) round my PJ and it worked very well. The click into place with these things is VERY positive and is unlikely to come out as I have to use a reasonable amount of force to clip and unclip them with the 4 fixing I used. The only issue would be if you do not have the sideways or front to back movement to be able to click them in and out and they require around 10-15mm of movement to clip and unclip, but I imagine with acoustic panels you don't have 100% covering?! If you're doing it to give 100% coverage you may have access issues at one end if you want it to butt up 100%.

Hey mate, out of curiosity, did you notice my difference to your frequency response when you installed the MVEL22 over your speakers?

I believe you know I’ve got the same material and use side curtains, I’m planning on installing front wides soon so will be pulling the curtains in front of these speakers.

When I did a basic test I didn’t notice too much difference, but it was a real bodge job when I tested it.
I haven't measured it to be honest, room still isn't 100% finished yet, but basic testing I can't hear a difference through it, the speaker's fire through the MVEL22 & AT screen.

The button fixings look perfect. I’m going to order some MVEL22 and do my LCR wall and the immediate sidewalls probably around 2m into the room. I might also run speaker wire behind. Rather than use wooden frames I’m tempted to directly screw the fixings onto the skirting board and plasterboard and fit the fabric without a frame. Would this work do you think or would it look a bit rubbish?

The button fixings look perfect. I’m going to order some MVEL22 and do my LCR wall and the immediate sidewalls probably around 2m into the room. I might also run speaker wire behind. Rather than use wooden frames I’m tempted to directly screw the fixings onto the skirting board and plasterboard and fit the fabric without a frame. Would this work do you think or would it look a bit rubbish?

Good luck getting hold of it at the moment. I’m pretty sure they don’t have stock

I’ve just ordered the last 10m in stock, unless someone has beaten me to it :)

I’ve just ordered the last 10m in stock, unless someone has beaten me to it :)

From eBay?

If so, check that you’re not getting 10 x 1m lengths as that is all they have.

Direct from the website - if it is 110cm x 100cm I can make it work but I would need to use wooden frames and drastically improve my limited wood working skills!

Direct from the website - if it is 110cm x 100cm I can make it work but I would need to use wooden frames and drastically improve my limited wood working skills!

Yep that’s what I think it is so you should be ok. 👍🏻

Youtube is your friend with anything DIY

I’ve been thinking about how to install on my screen wall. I’m tempted to build some wood frames it’s not going to need to be moved until I eventually go for AT screen. So I might simply take off the skirting board and then screw the wood onto plasterboard or the wood joists behind. It gives me the opportunity to stuff some rock wool behind the fabric too.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom