Fabric Wall Panels..So why plaster?

Spooksta

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm converting my garage next year to a dedicated room.
Trying to save some cash and i thought why plaster board and plaster the walls and ceiling when im not looking to paint the room at all.
So my question is has anyone else bypassed plasterboard/plastering and just insulated then put the material panels onto battens over the celotex insulation.

I will also have a floating ceiling.

advice welcome

id wager that a large problem with that will be air movement, which would render the insulation fair less effective as any warmth will be seeped out through air movement, or at least a percentage will be?

I'm having the same thoughts, but moreso in respect of soundproofing. I wan't to use the room without complaints! My plan was to build stud walls within the plasterboarded room, fill with rockwool, then use fabric track attached to the studs...I think (as I understand it) it would work acoustically, but wont stop sound leaving the room. So got to rip down existing plasterboard decouple and affix a double layer of p/board with green glue in the middle. I was just about to write a post to see if anyone has done this.

I would use plasterboard for fire protection. Even if you are putting the insulation on a fire proof wall I would want to stop any fire in the room getting to the celotex. While it may not burn very quickly I think the fumes may be toxic.

I'm a joiner so I can add something to this ,

How it should be done , celotex , vapour barrier (polythene or duplex plasterboard / foil backed ) sound block plaster board , this comes in 12.5 or 15mm thickness , at that thickness the studs can be built at 600mm centres ,

A cheaper option is 9.5mm plaster board and studs at 400mm centres , you can't get sound block that thin ,

No need to plaster over the boards just have them Ames taped ,

Whatever option you decide no plaster board ,sound block , thin standard plaster board . You must use a vapour barrier to stop condensation build up at the point warm air in the room meets the cold air outside , between the plaster board and insulation

id wager that a large problem with that will be air movement, which would render the insulation fair less effective as any warmth will be seeped out through air movement, or at least a percentage will be?

You won't have any problems with air movement as insulation works by restricting the flow of air (and the heat it carries) through a cavity.

I would use plasterboard for fire protection. Even if you are putting the insulation on a fire proof wall I would want to stop any fire in the room getting to the celotex. While it may not burn very quickly I think the fumes may be toxic.

If you're looking to cut costs like the OP, then there is no point wasting money on fire boards. Besides, I think even the most dedicated AV enthusiasts on these forums would struggle to keep watching a film whilst the room around them is on fire....the smoke and light fires cause just does so much damage to the picture quality.

I'm a joiner so I can add something to this ,

How it should be done , celotex , vapour barrier (polythene or duplex plasterboard / foil backed

Just tape the joints of the Celotex you're paying for the foil backing so you might as well use it.

Spooksta,

The real positive to using plasterboard is that it offers a layer of attenuation for the sound prior to it entering the fabric of the building. You're likely to see increased flanking noise in the neighbouring areas of the building by omitting it and it'll be harder to run wiring through and fix things if you don't have at least some physical supports for sockets etc. I'd recommend Garyst's suggestion to look at tape and jointing if you want to cut costs.

I have seen silver tape used on joins in celotex but never used it , I have wondered why a vapour barrier is always specified even when using celotex

Besides, I think even the most dedicated AV enthusiasts on these forums would struggle to keep watching a film whilst the room around them is on fire....the smoke and light fires cause just does so much damage to the picture .

I think the new darbee can combat this.

I have seen silver tape used on joins in celotex but never used it , I have wondered why a vapour barrier is always specified even when using celotex

Only benefit I can think of is it far quicker to apply than taping joints - especially if you do 400 centres.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom