1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fabric v Painted screen

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Docta teef, Jan 29, 2005.

1. Docta teef

Docta teef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Me old man came round today to help install the seating for my room which is getting very close to being ready. As it will be a dedicated room :clap: i can have a fixed screen. As i dont want to spend £££££ i thought i would build a frame and buy propper screen material and build my own. "That will be difficult" says me dad "you ll never get it flat you should paint the wall as the plaster work is flat". Now dad knows a lot about DIY can build a car from the wheels up, me im not so sharpe im more medical but i can wire multi room audio. So have to ask who is right i think fabric will work better and wont be that hard to build, the old man thinks paint it (prob screen goo(which he has never heard of) though i think it will look crap when not in use.

2. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Both work equally well asssuming the wall really is flat. Stretching fabric isn't hard and I had no trouble getting it flat, OTOH I can't seem to do neat corners but that doesn't matter.

3. Digger

Digger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    I constructed a nice screen with the help of a carpentry-obssessed neighbor; we built a 2 by 1 frame with cross-strut in the middle, all joints screwed and glued, material from DRH, finished with NexNix 3" Flok Tape, £100 roughly including an xmas hamper as a neighbourly gift.

On balance i prefer the look of a constructed screen as opposed to a painted version (mind you wall was not flat!). I used ice storm paint before with painted border. I think the material (1.0 gain) gives a slightly better picture, plus i learnt a little basic timberwork!

4. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +941
    I have done both, i first created a screen using bo material and painted it icestorm 5/6 mix and it was fine. It is quite straightforward to stretch it over a frame if there is two of you.

I also have painted 5mm think mdf board with screen goo, which is my current screen. This also worked out fine, once it had cured and the line marks had disappeared.

5. maj74

maj74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Inzaman....

I currently have a Sony HS-50 projectong onto my existing screen of Icestorm 5/6 painted blackout material.

I want to make a new screen as I can get a slightly bigger picture of my new pj than my old one....

As someone who has had both... is it worth me getting Goo for my new screen (about £125 i gather for my size screen) or sticking to the icestorm (about £10)

Your views would be much appreciated!!

Regards,

Martin

6. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +941
    For me the Goo is far better than the icestorm 5/6 mix with my Z2, the problem with icestorm imx is that not only does it darken the blacks but it also darkens every other colour in the spectrum.

The Goo has a kind of light reflective top coat so although the base coat is off white (depending on what grey you get) the colours are still far brighter than the icestorm, the blacks are not as dark as icestorm though but a small price to pay. You also have to ensure that you paint it properly as it can take an age to cure, i am happy with my Goo screen and have been for nearly a year now, where as i changed my icestorm screen within two months.

The Goo is expensive and it would be a tough decision between that and fabric the thing with the goo is that it is not a white screen where as fabric is, unless you can buy the dalite hccv type material.

I was going to buy a Beamax screen when i saw the prices on the other thread, as a comparison to the Goo, but they excluded VAT so the price with VAT puts them a bit out of what i am willing to pay over and above the price of the Goo. HTH Inza.

7. Docta teef

Docta teef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Its strange that any articles i read on screens always say that fixed screens are the cheapest to buy but it doesn't appear to be the case