Fabric track system?

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
Hi all

I’m just about to start building my dedicated room, and I have an existing room to work with. I plan to construct a 4x2 timber frame around the whole room, to house both the speakers and also various acoustic treatments.

Just wondering if anyone here has used an acoustic fabric track system to the same effect, covering up acoustic treatments and creating a truly discrete system.

There’s lots of different options out there, and you can never find prices on most websites too. Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated!

pmarb

Hi, in 2017, I used Fabritrak UK to install devore fabic (which I purchases separately from whaleys-bradford Ltd) on the front / ceiling part of my room -

Here's a link to my post with pictures of them installing the track system -

As they are a commercial company they were not cheap, but did a really professional job and the fabric has not pulled out from the track system in over 5 years of room use (and teenager hands resting on the corner wall edges!).

They used 25mm acoustic treatment behind the devore fabric.

My installer (Bath Ci Ltd) watched them do it and I think offers a similar service in the south / south west.

Cheers

Tony

Yorkshire AV

AVForums Sponsor
Furnished walls are beautiful when done right :)
Fabric track is a bit of an art - i.e. there are "rules" as far as "odd number of panels" that installers adhere to. The more creative will create gorgeous shaped panels.

You can blend acoustic and non-acoustic foam behind your chosen fabric too - i.e. Acoustically transparent where your in-wall speakers are. Just make sure your materials are fire rated.
Similarly - you can get a mix-and-match effect with different colours and treatments.

This can help balance the cost of the overall room.

It's not usually a retail product - but if interested, I can build you a package of track, track equipment (i.e. the "pizza cutters"), foams and coverings if you wanted to DIY!

Deesnutz

Hi all

I’m just about to start building my dedicated room, and I have an existing room to work with. I plan to construct a 4x2 timber frame around the whole room, to house both the speakers and also various acoustic treatments.

Just wondering if anyone here has used an acoustic fabric track system to the same effect, covering up acoustic treatments and creating a truly discrete system.

There’s lots of different options out there, and you can never find prices on most websites too. Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated!
I too am interested in doing the same for our dedicated room.

Are you planning on putting up plasterboard or OSB then covering with fabric?

Yorkshire AV

AVForums Sponsor
I’d recommend acoustic sound plasterboard (blue type). If you can double board then even better!

it’s super dense compared to standard plasterboard but thankfully not massively more expensive.

Deesnutz

I’d recommend acoustic sound plasterboard (blue type). If you can double board then even better!

it’s super dense compared to standard plasterboard but thankfully not massively more expensive.
Thank you. :thumbsup:

I had considered acoustic plasterboard but hadn't thought about doubling up as the room is quite narrow (approx. 2.4 m wide by 7m long) so didn't want to lose too much space.

Yorkshire AV

AVForums Sponsor
Thank you. :thumbsup:

I had considered acoustic plasterboard but hadn't thought about doubling up as the room is quite narrow (approx. 2.4 m wide by 7m long) so didn't want to lose too much space.
Doubling up is a luxury - if a room supports it then definitely go for it :)

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
I too am interested in doing the same for our dedicated room.

Are you planning on putting up plasterboard or OSB then covering with fabric?
No that’s a bit pointless. If you have a dedicated room you need acoustic treatments, so I plan to build a 4x2 stud frame around the room, fill the cavities with dense mineral wool in strategic places, and use the track system to cover everything, including my side and surround back speakers (which themselves will be mounted within the stud work).

Yorkshire AV

AVForums Sponsor
hang on though, are we talking about sound proofing or acoustic treatments? Two very different things no?

Boarding helps with the proofing. Treatments are what you put in the cavity between the skin/studs and the board plus anything on the external surface (i.e. the fabric walls, acoustic panels at points of reflection etc).

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
Boarding helps with the proofing. Treatments are what you put in the cavity between the skin/studs and the board plus anything on the external surface (i.e. the fabric walls, acoustic panels at points of reflection etc).
Yes that's my point :) @Deesnutz - it's not worth the expense of using fabric track over a solid wall, unless you have bags of cash and it's just about look. For me, it's about hiding all of my speakers within the walls of the room and being able to place and then hide acoustic treatments to deal with reflections etc. Plus the looks of course! You can't beat a discrete cinema :)

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
The treatments are only what you put on the external surface. Anything that goes between the skin/studs isn't room treatment.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom