FA Cup final BBC HD

BName

Ex Member
Reaction score
Watching my first football game in hd on bbc hd at the mo probably the best pic quality for football i have ever seen.

mine keeps freezing, the sound continues but the pic stops still, anyone else having problems or is it just mine

Mine was freezing then went "pop" lost the audio and picture on some channels.
Sky box in the other room is fine . Most channels showing pics have the display as dolby digital on amp with no audio. Weird . I`m going to do asoftware update anymore tips ,please???

Definately an improvement over the SD feed which looks very muddy.

I don't like football, but it definately looks better in HD.

Actually a very good show of the poor quality of the de-interlacer in the HD box, 1080i de-interlaced to 1080p on my TV has very few issues on the white lines, but the 576p feed from the HD box has lots of de-interlacing issues on the white lines of the pitch.

i unplugged my box from the mains for 10 mins and hopefully now it will behave, funny i had a sky letter telling me about extended repair etc yesterday:thumbsdow

Watching my first football game in hd on bbc hd at the mo probably the best pic quality for football i have ever seen.

It's better than BBC usually disk out, Sky HD football is still the benchmark.

Picture looked really good in the 1st half, then the box powered itself down for the second time today, and now the picture seems noisier.
Are Sky doing something?,seems a few posters having problems today.

(Hmm, pic seems to have righted itself now(15 mins later), maybe fridge freezer switching on and off)

SD footy is just one big blocky mess so I look forward to these HD broadcasts. Top notch :thumbsup:

Now if we could just get ITV HD for those champions league games :rolleyes:

I actually thought that on my tv the match looked better on BBCHD then on Sky HD.:eek:

I watched the 1st half with Sky because Lawrenson was just to annoying and the second half with BBC I thought Sky was best

Dave

First 20 mins I flicked between Sky HD and BBC HD and although there wasn't much in it, Sky definitely seemed sharper to me. If you add audio to the equation - ie Tyler/Gray V Motson/Lawro - then Sky won hands down...!

audio was a million time better on sky and there was no motson as well. Happy days

I scored it........

Sky Video 8/10 Audio 8/10

BBC Video 7/10 Audio 5/10

yep only 2.0 sound from the BBC despite the 5.0 blue light being triggered on my amp

yep only 2.0 sound from the BBC despite the 5.0 blue light being triggered on my amp

From what I can gather all the HD channels have a permanent DD feed, but often they only put the sound on the front channels, meaning that you are stuck unable to get Pro-Logic because the amp is told it is DD 5.1 despite it actually being DD stereo.

Couldn't split the PQ between channels, but then as they were both taking the same feed, in theory at least that should have been the case.
BBC HD sound was awful though; if Sky were taking and transmitting a 5.1 feed, why the hell couldn't the BBC ? :thumbsdow

From what I can gather all the HD channels have a permanent DD feed, but often they only put the sound on the front channels, meaning that you are stuck unable to get Pro-Logic because the amp is told it is DD 5.1 despite it actually being DD stereo.

Right and wrong.

All the HD and SD channels that do Dolby Digital 5.1 surround have a permanent Dolby Digital audio stream. The SD channels also have a separate MPEG audio stream for non-Dolby Digital capable receivers (like standard Sky Digiboxes - Dolby Digital is Sky+/Sky+HD only), and in some cases HD and SD services also have an MPEG audio stream carrying an Audio Description/Narrative mix of stereo + description.

HOWEVER - the Sky channels switch this Dolby Digital stream between 2.0 and 5.1 on a programme by programme basis - and on some amps you see the display flip between 2.0 and 5.1 as this happens.

BBC HD used to do this - but now seems increasingly to send a stereo pair in the front left and right channels of a 5.1 stream without switching the Dolby Digital encoder. Sounds like metadata getting confused - or they've decided that the glitching on 2.0/5.1 switching (you often get a short gap of silence with many amps) is not acceptable.

That said 2.0 in a 5.1 container is very unhelpful if the source is Dolby Stereo encoded with a matrixed surround channel that you'd like to decode using ProLogic techniques.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom