F355 Challenge PS2

S

stewarth

Guest
Any good. I know its hard but this is what i want.

Is it above average, if so I'll buy it.
 
M

martin

Guest
I've played this game alot . A freind of mine has it. It is quite challenging and easy to loose control,but that's what makes it a good game to master. You can have traction control turned on and ABS but this seems to make the game easy. Most levels(tracks) are racing curcuits but it is quite a good game.ENJOY!
 

Spacecat

Banned
if you want to play a real driving game this is it.Takes genuine skill and is rocj hard.However when you get it right its about the rawest, realest driving experience there is in a computer game
 

Rob.Screene

Active Member
The graphics and sound are pretty much as the arcade machine. They are not quite GT3 standard, but pretty good. The replays are again good, but not quite GT3.

The handling is great.

The only down-side is that I like to the the right analog stick for accelerate/brake, allowing little or lots of braking or acceleration. Works great in GT3, bt I can't seem to find a way in F355 to do this, so am stick with two buttons for accel/brake. This means you have to leave some of the 4 driver aids set on, which spoils the handling feel.

i.e. No analog accelerator/brake with dual-shock2, I think you need a wheel and pedals to get this.

For me, I didn't enjoy the ps2 wheel, as it has some lag I won't buy and use one, so the end-result is F355 is good but spoiled for me. Back to GT3 and some tuned cars!

Rob.
 

museumsteve

Distinguished Member
it's not in the same league as the Dreamcast version but is a very adequate alternative to the current catalogue of racing games on PS2..
 

Bob Todd

Banned
Originally posted by museumsteve
it's not in the same league as the Dreamcast version but is a very adequate alternative to the current catalogue of racing games on PS2..

Ah a Dreamcast fanboy.

Well I have played both and they look identical apart from the fact the PS2 has an external mode for the kiddies.

please tell what makes the DC version in another league as I cant see it and im dyin to know:rolleyes:
 
S

stewarth

Guest
People need to realise that games that are conversions very rarely match up to the original or better them if they are converted to a more poweful machine. Each machine simply has different strengths. I doubt if GT3 was converted to Xbox it would look better than on the PS2, likewise I doubt Project Gotham would look as good on the PS2.
 

Bob Todd

Banned
Originally posted by stewarth
People need to realise that games that are conversions very rarely match up to the original or better them if they are converted to a more poweful machine. Each machine simply has different strengths. I doubt if GT3 was converted to Xbox it would look better than on the PS2, likewise I doubt Project Gotham would look as good on the PS2.

Yes but I have played it on both and I dont see no difference.

I would like to kno what he has seen that makes it leagues ahead:rolleyes:
 

ytgti

Active Member
Isnt there only five tracks or something, im sure thats what ive heard. Bit lame if its true.:confused:
 

Spacecat

Banned
1.The dreamcast version has total analogue control in the pad where as ps2 version you have to use the buttons. for acc and brake

2.ps2 version has more tracks ext view option and some other game options

3. handling is identical

4. only downside is that its harder to geta good start without analogue, therefore use traction control to start then turn off all aids for a good race experience!! (PS2 version)

mind you for £35 you can buy a 2nd hand DC and F355 !!!!
 
S

stewarth

Guest
Originally posted by museumsteve
it's not in the same league as the Dreamcast version but is a very adequate alternative to the current catalogue of racing games on PS2..

Well GT3, GTC, CM3, WRC II, Moto GP II, Total Immersion Racing, F12002 (Sony), Burnout 2, V-Rally 3, NFS, Wipeout.
 

Bob Todd

Banned
Originally posted by Spacecat
1.The dreamcast version has total analogue control in the pad where as ps2 version you have to use the buttons. for acc and brake

2.ps2 version has more tracks ext view option and some other game options

3. handling is identical

4. only downside is that its harder to geta good start without analogue, therefore use traction control to start then turn off all aids for a good race experience!! (PS2 version)

mind you for £35 you can buy a 2nd hand DC and F355 !!!!

exactly so how is the DC version leagues ahead?

Its like 2 + 2 = 7?:rolleyes:

Im confused.
 

Bob Todd

Banned
Originally posted by stewarth
Well GT3, GTC, CM3, WRC II, Moto GP II, Total Immersion Racing, F12002 (Sony), Burnout 2, V-Rally 3, NFS, Wipeout.

I like TOCA & Nascar!
 
N

NeoBlade

Guest
If you guys want a solid racer you should try and track down Grand Prix Legends on the PC.. Its an old game so basically any 3D card will do but the physics engine is light years ahead and it won't be anything like you have experienced... Basically I've heard that they even wanted to emulate the heat generated in the tyres under braking... That kinda gives you the scale of the engine behind it. Very hard game but very satisfying too once you get used to the controls.

Another game to try out is Nascar 4 on the PC which runs on the same engine as GPL I believe... As for F355 I enjoyed the Dreamcast version but wouldn't buy the PS2 port... Why? Because for the same amount you could probably buy a DC and F355 which would then open you to another world of gaming on the DC.
 

SOUNDSTYLE

Member
Grand prix legends is a very good game but extremely difficult, but when you get it right it feels great.
The sound of the Ferrari makes the hairs rise on the back of your neck. Excellent.
It's nice to go round the tracks as they were in the good old days, especially the Nurburgring and spa.
Watching a demo lap of each track is scary and well worth watching.
 
N

NeoBlade

Guest
Nurburgring is just amazing... Sadly I'm not too hot at the game to do a competitive lap but I have replays done from a mate of mine... Just watching it makes you sit back in awe and to think back in the days when all of this really happened. Back when racers were racers I suppose since now its all down to the car >_<

It really demands skill but the feeling of doing a great lap gives you a great sense of achievement. I've had a similar feeling with Colin Mcrae 2 but the game is a lot easier to play, so you can push harder (plus you don't have to start again when you have a minor collision ^_^). It would be great if they released a new GPL but it looks like Papyrus are just concentrating on the Nascar franchise instead.

I agree with you also that the engine sounds are fantastic... Well worth ramping up the volume and subwoofer for ^_^
 

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom