• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

F300EXR reviewed over at DCRP

Johnmcl7

Distinguished Member
I don't think I've heard any mention of this camera for a while which I'm a bit surprised at because its PDAF sensor system could potentially bring a lot of benefit particularly for mirrorless cameras. The DCRP review is here:

Fuji FinePix F300EXR Review | Digital Camera Resource Page

It's disappointing the author skips over the AF and simply notes that it's fairly fast as this is one of the headline features of the camera. I know there's some AF times mentioned but I don't think these give an accurate view as the E-3 was boasted to have the quickest AF system at the time and while I'm sure it was technically fast, it was no match for the D300's AF in practice.

Sadly the rest of the camera doesn't seem too great particularly the high iso performance.

John

shotokan101

Banned
Cheers John for the link :smashin:

Real pity as this one's been on my "Watch List" - pity it gets such a mediocre review - hope DPR get their hands on one to test as well :)

Jim

Dave X

15X zoom, even though it isn't mentioned I would suspect the sensor has been reduced to a 1/2.5 or similar size. The f series Fuji's were always decent for a compact because of their slightly larger sensor, that to me is a regression and downgrade :mad:

shotokan101

Banned
15X zoom, even though it isn't mentioned I would suspect the sensor has been reduced to a 1/2.5 or similar size. The f series Fuji's were always decent for a compact because of their slightly larger sensor, that to me is a regression and downgrade :mad:

F300EXR sensor is still 1/2".....

Jim

Johnmcl7

Distinguished Member
d123 is correct, the F200EXR sensor at 1/1.6in is around 50% larger in surface area(0.30cm^2 vs 0.45cm^2). It's a bit of a strange choice making the F300EXR effectively a replacement for the F70EXR/F80EXR particularly when Panasonic have shown there's demand for cameras with a smaller, brighter zoom rather than a longer one.

I'm not sure what to make of the review's lack of time given to the PDAF system, the author seems to keep a rigid structure which after many years still has to pointlessly emphasise the cost and lack of general availability of li-ion batteries hence that may be why PDAF is seemingly skipped over. Either that or it's just not so impressive.

John

shotokan101

Banned
d123 is correct, the F200EXR sensor at 1/1.6in is around 50% larger in surface area(0.30cm^2 vs 0.45cm^2). It's a bit of a strange choice making the F300EXR effectively a replacement for the F70EXR/F80EXR particularly when Panasonic have shown there's demand for cameras with a smaller, brighter zoom rather than a longer one.

I'm not sure what to make of the review's lack of time given to the PDAF system, the author seems to keep a rigid structure which after many years still has to pointlessly emphasise the cost and lack of general availability of li-ion batteries hence that may be why PDAF is seemingly skipped over. Either that or it's just not so impressive.

John

Yes - the F300EXR sensor is smaller than the F200EXR - I was just saying that it's not anywhere near as bad as the 1/2.5 suggested :)

I do agree it's a strange choice and doesn't help with the IQ

Jim

Dave X

Yes - the F300EXR sensor is smaller than the F200EXR - I was just saying that it's not anywhere near as bad as the 1/2.5 suggested :)

I do agree it's a strange choice and doesn't help with the IQ

Jim

Yeah, sorry Jim, I was just surmising at it being significantly smaller (I don't think anyone has managed a 15xzoom on a 1/1.6 pr 1/1.7 sensor), even 1/2 is a retrograde step and takes the camera from comparable to the top end compacts to just another mid range camera. I think the whole ethos of the fxx Fujis was image quality, low noise and high IQ.

shotokan101

Banned
Yeah, sorry Jim, I was just surmising at it being significantly smaller (I don't think anyone has managed a 15xzoom on a 1/1.6 pr 1/1.7 sensor), even 1/2 is a retrograde step and takes the camera from comparable to the top end compacts to just another mid range camera. I think the whole ethos of the fxx Fujis was image quality, low noise and high IQ.

No problem John - I can't get my head around their thinking here either - there definitely seems to be gap in the market waiting to be filled - and now Fiji just seem to be following the wagon instead of being innovative.

Jim

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom