F1Tv on $ky, and ditching OnDigital.

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Confucius, Jan 27, 2002.

1. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
  2. Rock Da Bass

Rock Da Bass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +642
    A dedicated F1 channel sounds good, though I've no complaints about ITV's coverage. (about the only thing worth watching on ITV)

Any ideas about the benefits of the new channel over existing coverage and how much it will cost? Experience of 'interactive features' on digital football seems to show that most people press the approprate buttons a few times to try it out then revert back to 'normal' viewing.

RDB

PS. I'll be saying Yes to the Euro :p

3. Rock Da Bass

Rock Da Bass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +642
    I guess to only way to judge whether it's any good or not would be to sign up, give it a go, then if it's pants cancel the subscription.

It'll be interesting to see if ITV and/or F1TV give widescreen and/or surround sound coverage, though this probably depends on the source from the various grand prix venue countries and their indigenous broadcasters.

Heck, I'll try it anyway. I love F1! :eek:

4. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe ITV Digital's Terms and Conditions state that you NEVER own the hardware (unlike Sky's where you do, after a years subscription). However, from what I've seen on these forums they are so inept at actually picking the digiboxes up that you may well end up with it anyway!
    I'd give them a months notice and also cancel the direct debit with the bank to make sure.
    As far as getting the Sky digibox you want, I'd go direct to a CAI installer (look in your yellow pages). You can then choose the box you want (Sony or Panasonic?) and still get it free. IMHO you are likely to get a better installation job too.

Enjoy!

I'm kinda interested in the PPV F1 channel, depending on price, but my main feeling is that F1 races have got SO boring these days (all the passing done in the pits!). Give me World Superbike and motorcyle Grand Prix racing for pure excitement.

Simon

5. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Phone Customer services and tell them you wish to cancel. They will put you on to 'liasons' who will try to convince you to stay. Once you have soid 'no' 500 times they will arrange a time to pick up your box. This may or may not happen and if you're lucky and it doesn't, use it as a FTA box until they finally remember (unlikely). There are many boxes floating around out there from people who have had exactly this happen. It still remains their property though so don't consider selling it but if they can't be bothered to pick it up, why should you waste time reminding them?

S

By the way, any idea how much Sky will charge per race weekend? I understand it will be billed this way. This is good because we won't have to pay for the whole season and miss races where we will be away or actually be there (as I will be at Silverstone). Also, if you are feeling a bit skint you can just watch on ITV. I am, like you with ITVD at the mo but this hefty straw has broken the camel's back.

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I don't expect it to be cheap, this is SKY's new let's rip the customer off and slap on all the DOG's as possible phase:(
    A far cry from the time SKY still hadn't hit the subscriber numbers required to cover the programming costs and they still valued the individual subscriber.

Mmmm, how much exactly?
    No news as of yet but it will be interesting to compare the price the Europeans pay to what we are charged, it is going to be more or less the same service isn't it?

7. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,973
    Come on then, let's take a little bet on the cost.
    I'll plump for £10 per event.

8. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    F1Tv " Bernievision", yes please, can't wait...
    Murray and Martin to do the honours maybe, Bernie did say Murray should come and work for him when he leaves ITV.
    No one is forced to pay up, it's a choice we didn't previously enjoy, F1 fans... think about it...
    Thanks Jim, Coronation Street follows shortly.

9. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    If Murray Walker is involved with it then I ain't paying a penny, I'll stick to ITV.

Never thought I'd hear myself say that:)

10. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Starburst, you are right about Murray, I'm sorry, I got carried away...