F1 Mexican GP 30th Oct - 1st Nov

Joe Pineapples

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
F1%20Mexico_zpslcmt1ans.jpg

BBC Weather - Mexico City

Isn't there a separate detection zone for the second activation zone?

Maybe too short a distance between both zones to put one in (?).

Guessing that first zone will prove to be overkill and 'easy pass central' during the race.

Last edited:
Is that good/bad? All the overtaking in Austin made for a very entertaining race.

Is that good/bad? All the overtaking in Austin made for a very entertaining race.

Watching one car just breeze past another along a straight doesn't do it for me to be honest when the over-speed (drs + slipstream) is usually just too much. Will see how it pans out though.

To carry on the discussion about potential Mercedes team orders to help Nico get 2nd place, here are the exact question asked of Lewis Hamilton during the press conference yesterday and his reply:

Q: (Daniel Johnson – The Telegraph) Lewis, since the race in Austin, have you discussed the turn one incident with the Nico or the team at all? And secondly, obviously Nico is in quite a close battle for second in the drivers’ championship and Mercedes would like him to finish second. Will you help him out at all in that respect?

LH: We haven’t spoken, not that I think we really need to. The team has not asked me to support him in that role as I’m here to win the race. The team has won the constructors’ championship so I think from here on there’s not really a huge benefit for the team for me to start helping. We’ll see what Toto wants me to do.​

Sounds good; I really think Nico needs to get it on his own merits. He's got the car to do it and I think he needs to prove himself.

So those that poo pooed what I was saying along those lines may well be wrong then. :)

So those that poo pooed what I was saying along those lines may well be wrong then. :)
If Mercedes, Ferrari, Rosberg, Vettel and fans of both teams come out and say that second place doesn't matter then yes, I'll concede I was wrong. ;)

Just watching FP2, I can see this track being renamed 'T***y Twisters' by the drivers. ;) (From Dusk Till Dawn)

I think VSC needs some serious work. It's totally flawed. And yeah Rosberg has done that a couple of times now. I think it should run like the pit lane limiter.

I know this is from Austin, but didn't Rosberg do the same when he was behind Hamilton during a VSC earlier in the season?

Ricciardo wants VSC discussion - PlanetF1

I think VSC needs some serious work. It's totally flawed. And yeah Rosberg has done that a couple of times now. I think it should run like the pit lane limiter.

Sky showed Rosberg had the VSC countdown on his steering wheel display something RBR haven't implemented apparently.

Yes there are flaws with it in that drivers can gain time by hitting the delta time perfectly and that does then create further potential issues when we see drivers slamming on the brakes at the end of sectors to make sure they are over the minimum time.

A code 60 or a full course yellow like we see in Formula E would negate that but I wonder if the drivers would then be complain about tyre and brake temperatures? They already complain about the safety car going too slowly imagine 3 or 4 laps running at 80kph.

Hi All,

Some news announced today - the Haas F1 team has named Gutierrez as their second driver & apparently Force India might be taken over by Aston Martin - talks are underway according to reports though still early days.

Not sure at this point how I feel about the latter - Aston is a great heritage name & would bring in a bunch of cash to help the teams compete better but although I feel Force India has been somewhat static in terms of progress/movement, for a small, independent team, they have done a pretty good job considering the constraints/pressures they have had to face. They have done all the hard work & huge investments over the last few years & were steadily making themselves more established & having built up the Force India brand, it would be kind of sad to see it go by the wayside.

Suave!

Sky showed Rosberg had the VSC countdown on his steering wheel display something RBR haven't implemented apparently.
To my knowledge there's no countdown, they're told it's ending and it's then any point between 1 and 10 seconds after that.

Formula E does it well I think with the race director broadcasting a countdown to everyone. I like WEC's route of FCY as there's no variance but that would likely be way too slow for them.

No JB in quali :(

To my knowledge there's no countdown, they're told it's ending and it's then any point between 1 and 10 seconds after that.

That's what I thought (that it was random like the start of the race) but at the start of FP2 they did show a clip with the focus on his steering wheel and it was definitely counting down and he nailed it and overtook Ricciardo after it hit 0.

Rosberg_VSC.jpg

I guess it could be the earliest time of arrival for a certain sector, but I thought that would be more like the delta they have for their fastest laps i.e a positive or negative time differential rather than a countdown.

Can't work out what has happened to Hamilton/Rosberg in quali these last few races. Hamilton had it nailed at the beginning but Rosberg taken the last 4/5.

Can't work out what has happened to Hamilton/Rosberg in quali these last few races. Hamilton had it nailed at the beginning but Rosberg taken the last 4/5.

Yeah, does seem a bit weird. Lewis was saying they had quite different set ups for quali so wondering if his will suit the race better. Whatever the case if he gets a decent start, there's a good chance of mugging Nico along that long straight, slipstreaming before the first corner. Depending how easy it is to follow on this track, he might be better waiting for the DRS to be enabled for his best chance along that same straight. Personally hoping its a dry race so we can enjoy a straight fight between them, with maybe Vettel in the mix too.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom