• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

F1 in HD from 2011 very likely.

HDCriticalFan

Established Member
Good news indeed. But why on earth does F1 have to dragged "kicking and screaming" into the modern age ? It's supposed to be a showcase for the pinnacle of technology for goodness sakes !

We'll have had HD in the UK for nearly five years by the time this gets going (if it does). We've had footy, rugby, cricket and US sport in HD for years now.

Regards

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I assume it all comes down to Bernie wanting more money out of it or something like that.

pinnocchio

Prominent Member

BName

Banned
Was it an AFV member who mugged him the other day ?

jdevil

Distinguished Member
Meh who cares, took 5 years for a multi billion-dollar sport like this to be converted to HD.

pinnocchio

Prominent Member
Was it an AFV member who mugged him the other day ?

Could be.....more likely a pi**ed off Ferrari owner annoyed it wasn't fixed this year for Alonso.

weyland-yutani

Established Member
i really hope this happens. F1 in HD will be scrumptious.

Ricky27

Prominent Member
I think BBC ONE HD looks superb on our G20 via freesat HD, even the upscaled F1 was way way better than the SD channel,rollon the TRUE HD next year!

Steven

Senior Moderator
On any other HD yes it would.... Sadly it will look a mess on the BBC PRETEND HD channel.
The BBC did the best they could with what they are given. If they get given the true HD feed like the Japanese do (because that nation is so technologically advanced Bernie has no choice lol) then we in turn benefit

wednesday83

Established Member
The BBC did the best they could with what they are given. If they get given the true HD feed like the Japanese do (because that nation is so technologically advanced Bernie has no choice lol) then we in turn benefit

If only this was true. The BBC do NOT do the best with what they are given. If this was true then they would be using a higher resolution and running at consitantly higher bit rates.

Sadly they have a Journo in charge of the channel who seeming knows nothing about HD and a man in charge of tech who appears to no loger care about what quality is been dished up.

alangeering

Standard Member
Does anyone know what feed resolution will be given to the broadcasters?
I'm guessing the broadcasters will then up/downscale to fit thier chosen HD format for broadcast.

Example: F1 feed @ 720p, BBC rebroadcast @ 1080i

Do we know the details yet, I've looked around but haven't seen any more than speculation?

Thanks, Alan

2002thx1138

Standard Member
Does anyone know if red button services work on BBC HD channels?

Thinking of upgrading to SkyHD for the F1, and would like to know if commentary selection and the F1 Forum will be available.

Have they done anything similar on BBC1 HD for other sports?

northy124

Established Member
The BBC better not screw up the HD quality, if they do then they need to rethink having HD (or normal SD for that matter) at all!

derek500

Prominent Member
Does anyone know if red button services work on BBC HD channels?

Thinking of upgrading to SkyHD for the F1, and would like to know if commentary selection and the F1 Forum will be available.

Have they done anything similar on BBC1 HD for other sports?

All the red buttons work. They're not in HD though.

muffins

Prominent Member
If this is going to be on BBC 1 HD than anyone not in London will have to watch unit on other channels on Sky?

HMHB

Distinguished Member
If this is going to be on BBC 1 HD than anyone not in London will have to watch unit on other channels on Sky?

Not sure what you mean there :confused:

MAX1210

Prominent Member

Erm Manchester also has Freeview HD I believe and there is also Freesat HD which covers pretty much the whole country.

Restorer

Prominent Member
Erm Manchester also has Freeview HD I believe and there is also Freesat HD which covers pretty much the whole country.

Freeview HD also serves most of the big areas of population outside of London - the cities of Glasgow, Newcastle, Leeds, Birmingham as well as the whole of the Granada area, Wales and the West Country all have HD multiplexes.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
BBC1 HD is available throughout the UK on Sky.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom