• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

F1 Abu Dhabi GP 27th - 29th Nov

Joe Pineapples

Distinguished Member
All good (?) things come to an end as we reach the final weekend for 2015.

abu%20dhabi_zpsp6a64zcp.jpg

John

I have a feeling this will be the dullest race of the year bar none

GloopyJon

Distinguished Member
Here's an entertaining little snippet from the team managers' press conference today. Maurizio Arrivabene was responding to a question about the future of F1 engines etc, and the latter part of his response and the following question were this:

Maurizio Arrivabene: "We try to do all of our best but I think even the Wizard of Oz couldn’t be able to do it for 2017. For sure for 2018. So, it’s much more positive than what it looks like."

Journalist: "Do you agree with that Toto?"

:rotfl:

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
Interesting quali session. Kimi really picked it up and Nico continued his trend of doing so

Could make the race interesting with Vettel working his way through too

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Rosberg is just on fire at the moment. Think this is his little victory over Lewis by stopping him get that 50th pole. :D
Seriously though, has Nico improved or Lewis backed off. Coincidence it all happened after he won the title...

The Atheist

Nothing in it for the first two quali sessions, then Nico pulls out a lap time over Lewis of nearly four tenths. Thoughts?.
I'll tell you mine, at the risk of being called cynical. I don't see how a driver can suddenly find that much pace seemingly from nowhere. 2 tenths slower in both preceding sessions then finds 7 tenths... an engine mode adjustment perhaps?

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Interesting quali session. Kimi really picked it up and Nico continued his trend of doing so

Could make the race interesting with Vettel working his way through too
Yeah I think vettel will have a bit of fun working through the pack. Maybe he did it on purpose to make it more interesting as its the last race. Replay of his lap showed he seemed to back off for no reason.

Elrond

I'll tell you mine, at the risk of being called cynical. I don't see how a driver can suddenly find that much pace seemingly from nowhere. 2 tenths slower in both preceding sessions then finds 7 tenths... an engine mode adjustment perhaps?
The is an article on BBC Sport (Hamilton's weekly thing) where he says they had a change to the car after Singapore. He then goes on to say that the car no longer feels like it is "under" him and that the change suits Rosberg more.

The was a similar thing last year (I think) where Rosberg kept having poor starts and losing places. They said that they changed a spring in the clutch pedal and then Rosberg started making better starts while Hamilton didn't get on so well.

Elrond

Yeah I think vettel will have a bit of fun working through the pack. Maybe he did it on purpose to make it more interesting as its the last race. Replay of his lap showed he seemed to back off for no reason.
In his interview he said that they thought they were safe with the time they had so he backed off.

Suave

Distinguished Member
Hi All,

Quality drive by Rosberg today - he had it perfect from start to finish & a well deserved win. Hopefully this will give him some confidence for next year.

Good show by Force India considering & glad to see Kimi on the podium again. Great drive by Seb considering where he started & watching Verstappen race is just great!

Suave!

The Atheist

Wow, looked like Hamilton was sh*fted by his own strategist there, should've been 2-3 seconds behind Rosberg after the second pitstop and in a position to "challenge" for the lead. I don't see any logic in the call to keep Hamilton out for so long, totally favoured Rosberg.

Can't fault Rosberg though, it was a faultless drive. One of, if not the, dullest race of the season for me though, not a good advert for the "sport".

Joe Pineapples

Distinguished Member
Hamilton gets the gap from 7secs down to 1.6 before Rosberg pitstops, yet they keep Hamilton out for many more laps on older/slower tyres, allowing Nico to get a 13sec gap back by the time they decided to bring Hamilton in, and end up putting Lewis on the same tyre compound anyway. I'm scratching my head. I know Toto said it was Left to Lewis what tyre to choose, but it was probably hobson's choice by that point.

Nico deserved the win, but Mercedes indecision (?) robbed us of any chance of a better final stint and possible battle to the end.

Dearly hope Ferrari are closer next year though.

Last edited:

Foster

Distinguished Member
Hamilton gets the gap from 7secs down to 1.6 before Rosberg pitstops, yet they keep Hamilton out for many more laps on older/slower tyres, allowing Nico to get a 13sec gap back by the time they decided to bring Hamilton in, and end up putting Lewis on the same tyre compound anyway. I'm scratching my head. I know Toto said it was Left to Lewis what tyre to choose, but it was probably hobson's choice by that point.

Nico deserved the win, but Mercedes indecision (?) robbed us of any chance of a better final stint and possible battle to the end.

Dearly hope Ferrari are closer next year though.

Not just Ferrari I hope they all have better cars and they can compete.

hdsport

Wow, looked like Hamilton was sh*fted by his own strategist there

Remember Merc only have one chief strategist (James Vowles) for both cars.

Agree with both of you it was a bizarre decision neither one thing or the other, frankly Lewis would have been better served just doing the standard strategy and pit the lap after Nico. If he kept his tyre in a better condition before he'd likely do the same again and would've started the final stint closer to Nico. Ok I doubt he'd would've passed Nico unless he could pressure him into an error but it would have given him a shot.

Merc have in terms of PR made a rod for their own back by not giving their drivers flexibility, of course it's better for the team but it's not going to go down well with the fans hearing those engine 'strat-mode' radio calls.

John

I always get the feeling that if the driver doesn't change the mode, then the pit wall will. Which would be bang out of order.
They should be able to monitor and advise , but not control anything on the car.

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
I always get the feeling that if the driver doesn't change the mode, then the pit wall will. Which would be bang out of order.
They should be able to monitor and advise , but not control anything on the car.

They can't control the car from the pits , that was banned a long time ago ......

Suave

Distinguished Member
Hi

Anyone know what is the latest with the Red Bull situation? Last I read was there was some sort of deal in place that will have Renault supply the engines but the ERS will be developed in house by RB with Mario Illien?

Illien denied this in the past but I read on Sky that this will be the likely arrangement & that RB will not publicly comment until the Renault takeover of Lotus is complete but do not know if that is accurate either.

Tbh, I am quite excited to see Haas F1 come into the mix next year - hopefully their arrival will add some much needed excitement between at least between the mid & mid upper teams as things are getting real boring way up front with Merc so far ahead of everyone else!

Suave!

John

I thought I read or heard, possibly on the F1 show, that if you take an engine from a supplier, then you take an engine from the supplier. You can't then do your own development to it

scartlead

What a pile of **** ......I'm an avid fan of this 'sport' but I cant remember a more boring year....... Time I'll never get back.... Judging by the massive thread here, I think you all agree. Even high lights are too long, by the fact there arent that many.Next year, Im seriously considering not reaching for the on button.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom