F1 2022 Chit Chat

I am sure I read somewhere that the new ground effect aero had the potential to do away with the rear wing, but FOM/FIA didnt want to be too radical with the look so rolled back from it
But I do wonder if someone will be able to unlock that potential anyway and effectively run the skinniest of rear wings all year

If anyone can, you know it will be Redbull. They have always been superior with aero. Newey is a genius.

I am sure I read somewhere that the new ground effect aero had the potential to do away with the rear wing, but FOM/FIA didnt want to be too radical with the look so rolled back from it
But I do wonder if someone will be able to unlock that potential anyway and effectively run the skinniest of rear wings all year
Don’t they need a rear wing for the DRS?

Don’t they need a rear wing for the DRS?
Yep, but if you can find a way to maximise the ground effect, it might not be necessary
Sure you will need to have it fitted to comply with the rules , but if it can be on the skinniest of skinny wings they might just fit it because the have to

Yep, but if you can find a way to maximise the ground effect, it might not be necessary
Sure you will need to have it fitted to comply with the rules , but if it can be on the skinniest of skinny wings they might just fit it because the have to
You can't do away with it. If you look at something like 919 Evo which has no rules and huge ground effects it still has a massive rear wing. As mentioned in the article even with active suspension then ground effects don't work all the time and once its lets go, it lets go big time (imagine going from massive to zero grip instantly) which is one of the main reasons for the ban.

Marko actually made a good point (shocking, I know) a couple of weeks ago. Saying Russell being at Mercedes will help Verstappen regain the title. Because he'll take more points away from Lewis than Bottas did.
I would think the opposite, there were too many times that Bottas wasn't in a position to help Lewis.

Inquiry to conclude by 3rd Feb at the latest.
I fully expect FIA to discuss the results with merc, RB and Lewis prior to publication to ensure that Lewis is back. While one person can't be bigger than the sport, FIA aren't stupid at the amount of publicity that Lewis brings to the sport outside of F1. BTW, I don't think Masi going is a requirement for Merc.

Last edited:
You need to be some kind of person to be a 'referee' in big sporting events, I don't think MM is that sort of person.

Think they need someone with F1 background, a person like Ross Brawn or that ilk.

You need to be some kind of person to be a 'referee' in big sporting events, I don't think MM is that sort of person.

Think they need someone with F1 background, a person like Ross Brawn or that ilk.
Couldn't Lewis do it, if he's suddenly got some time on his hands this season?

;)

Last edited:
I can understand them wanting to make fridays 'sexy', but I am not sure moving qualy to Friday and Sprint on a Saturday has worked so far.
It might all be different with the new formula ofcourse.
Sprints only work if you can overtake, and we all know how tricky that has been of late
Unless in a merc on full beans in Brazil😉

I must admit, I didn't particularly like the sprint race. Seemed a bit silly to have half a race before the actual race, especially with engine restrictions.
I'm happy to go back to the old format.

I can understand them wanting to make fridays 'sexy', but I am not sure moving qualy to Friday and Sprint on a Saturday has worked so far.
It might all be different with the new formula ofcourse.
Sprints only work if you can overtake, and we all know how tricky that has been of late
Unless in a merc on full beans in Brazil😉
I have to say that going Silverstone, it certainly made it more worthwhile on Sat being there in person. Atmosphere was pretty mad for the sprint race.

I have to say that going Silverstone, it certainly made it more worthwhile on Sat being there in person. Atmosphere was pretty mad for the sprint race.
I found them a bit more interesting than the norm. Bit of fine tuning needed perhaps.

It's about making Friday more attractive for ticket sales and concessions etc for the hosts

It's about making Friday more attractive for ticket sales and concessions etc for the hosts
Well yeah, and for TV. Qualifying is ok but it's not head to head racing.

Q3, final 10 drivers go out one at a time. One lap shoot off.

Q3, final 10 drivers go out one at a time. One lap shoot off.
Only issue with that, is the weather could change in that period or track conditions temperature or rubbering in could also change, for each car dependant on its slot.

Only issue with that, is the weather could change in that period or track conditions temperature or rubbering in could also change, for each car dependant on its slot.
I agree, plus who decides what order they run in. Assuming nothing else changes, the last runner would have the better track from a rubbered in perspective.

I'm sure they used to do the whole qualifying as a one lap shoot out?

The current format came into being to try and add drama.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom